The Race for the Title

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we ditch the cups, don’t get major injuries and the football gods stop giving gooners luck while City have issues.

I would say 10-20% chance, it’s not out of question. Also when I say ditch the cups I mean don’t prioritise the cups.
Being cynical - it's another reason to desperately want to get out of our CL group.

You'd think it's improbable for us to go too far in the CL (and regardless, it's fewer knockout games than in the EL anyway). Finishing 3rd in the group and dropping into the Europa League would be a headache.

Frankly, if I was Arteta I'd be throwing the EL at the earliest available opportunity.

Just seen the City result.

Not saying we are going to win the league.

But……

200.gif

Being cynical - it's another reason to desperately want to get out of our CL group.

You'd think it's improbable for us to go too far in the CL (and regardless, it's fewer knockout games than in the EL anyway). Finishing 3rd in the group and dropping into the Europa League would be a headache.

Frankly, if I was Arteta I'd be throwing the EL at the earliest available opportunity.

- Throw EL.
- Form crashes.
- Finnish 5th again.

Trust the process. :andros:

Let's be real we are not winning the league.

City always lose at Anfield and they normally don't get into second gear until after Christmas. They will walk this league post world cup with a fully rested Haaland.

We have as good a chance as any at getting 2nd though. Although Chelsea are a bit of a wild card and Liverpool could go on a run.

I reckon top four stays as it is though with us 2nd, Chelsea 3rd and scum 4th.

Let's be real we are not winning the league.

City always lose at Anfield and they normally don't get into second gear until after Christmas. They will walk this league post world cup with a fully rested Haaland.

We have as good a chance as any at getting 2nd though. Although Chelsea are a bit of a wild card and Liverpool could go on a run.

I reckon top four stays as it is though with us 2nd, Chelsea 3rd and scum 4th.
There's something strange about that Chelsea team. Sterling, Koulibaly, Aubmayeng are all like luxury versions of the players on the way down we used to sign (Redknapp, Ziege, Les Ferdinand).

The filth are 5/1 to finish outside the top 4. That’s tremendous odds, Liverpool and Chelsea are very likely to finish there and then there’s us, Utd and maybe even an outlier like Newcastle to challenge them. They’ve been both brilliant and lucky and are still only likely to be 11 ahead of Liverpool midweek

It really is the case that a couple of clubs are going to miss out who neverthless have a decent season. I feel pretty confident about us because we are consistent, and will continue to be under Conte. I think Utd will miss out but you never know, they could get better under their new manager and surprise people. Liverpool may just turn the corner at some point, maybe already have, who can really say. Chelsea, I think are quite consistent overall but I think will fall short, but again, who can be sure? The only certainty is City and close behind, us, in my opinion. Looking at Woolwich you have to say they have improved and probably will get top four, but they are capable of imploding at some point and just missing out because its going to be really tight for top four come the end of the season.

Trouble is that the main three London rivals hate us Woolwich, Chelsea and spam.
It's always difficult for us to get anything at their grounds especially Woolwich and Chelsea.
We played west ham a few weeks back when they were on a poor run, and to be honest we were shocking on the night, our performance actually made them grow in confidence it was ridiculous.
They all hate us :vdvcry:

I think with our midfield options, the 2 world class forwards with a strong supporting cast in Richie and kulu we can compare favourably against any of our rivals

The 3 at back holds its own just …. Sess might be getting there and already perisic is a class act

Loris is still quality

If Doherty can stay fit and in form then all the quality is there.

Add in Conte who is a world class manager then it’s my opinion that if we can find our rhythm sooner rather than later then we can challenge

But this winning while not playing well won’t last forever. We need the confidence and arrogance to start believing. There’s been moments … the odd half here snd there where you can see what we’re capable of. If that can progress to a level we consistently play at then all the ingredients are there

That squad is as good as it’s been for some while and should believe it can challenge

I personally think a win at United is a must. Not winning will not be the end of the world but I think it'd be massive for the players and fans in terms of belief.
In terms of belief it would be massive and we could really do with that

For me it’s a must not lose….. a point away at OT … and you go again

Last edited:
In terms of belief it would be massive and we could really do with that

For me it’s a must to not lose….. a point away at OT … and you go again
I agree I don't think a draw is a bad result there at all. I just think it could have that big win away at city under poch vibe to it. Puts us within a point of the scum and keeps the pressure up on them.

Just some stats to dwell on

Won all of our home games this season.
Southampton, Wolves, Fulham, Leicester, Everton, Marseille, Frankfurt.
Won 70% of all our league matches.
Average points tally of 2.3 ppg (87 point season)
Lost 1 from 10 games. (Less than 4 in the season grossed up to 38 games)
"Clogger" PEH has now chipped in towards 5 goals in 10 games as well as being a rock in the middle
Kane is averaging nearly a goal a game
Only 1 team has conceded less goals than us

This time last season we'd lost 5 already and were 7 points behind where we are now. with a -7 GD vs +12

What I will temper this with, is the season before, at the 10 game mark we were top of the league with 21 points 1 loss and a GD of +12
And in that we beat United 6-1 away

A win at old Trafford would be incredible, but let’s not turn our noses up at a draw. We would have played Westham, Chelsea, Woolwich and United away already. Grounds we notoriously get fuck all from usually and if for instance we draw at united, that’s 3 draws in those games stopping our rivals getting the wins. A draw at Old Trafford is a decent result as long as we beat Poocastle Sunday

It's testament to my complete and utter hatred of Woolwich that despite being joint 2nd and level on points with Man City who everyone had already given the league to........

I'm still pissed off and seething about the Leeds V Scum game this morning.

:avbmad:

It's testament to my complete and utter hatred of Woolwich that despite being joint 2nd and level on points with Man City who everyone had already given the league to........

I'm still pissed off and seething about the Leeds V Scum game.

:avbmad:

Seeing them top by 4 points is sickening. Thankfully we know what a bottle job team they are.

Back
Top Bottom