The sliding doors of Pochettinos reign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you cannot win a single trophy with a prime Kane, Eriksen, Dembele, Son, Vertonghen, Alderwield, Walker, Lloris and Ali then it doesnt matter who you bring in because it is simply not going to alter things.

When inferior United and Woolwich sides where able to win multiple trophies during that time then it tells you where the real issue was and it wasn’t with the board.

Liverpool have just won the CL and league in the space of 12 months. They have done that with the same model as ours, with a limited squad and haven’t spent large in 2 transfer windows. The difference is that they had Klopp and we had Pochettinho.

Does anyone really believe that had Klopp been in charge of us in 2016 that we would have ended up trophyless? The problem was always Poch

Yes, because Klopp would not have got the extra players he needed to finish the job. The idea that Poch was the problem is mind blowing.

It’s a pretty sloppily written article. Antonio Conte and not Jose Mourinho was Chavs Manager when they won the League in 2016/17.

The author doesn’t mention that we picked up 25 points from Pochettino’s last 24 league games, conceded a club record of 7 at home to Bayern Munich and got knocked out of the League Cup by Colchester. There’s not many managers at any club that could survive a prolonged run of form like that over 9 months.

We had a squad good enough to win the League in 2015/16 and 2016/17. It was the perfect storm then as well with the state of flux at all the other Big 6. Pochettino was excellent at developing players and had many positive attributes. He didn’t have the game management skills on the line, the tactical nous or the ruthlessness to win the trophies he should have won with those players.

Liverpool where below us until they got the probably the best goalkeeper and defender in the world not to mention a magnificent DM in Fabinho.

They sold their best player to get two of those players.

They clearly have been successful in the market - as Neville has said they turned £30 million players into £130 million players.

They have the same model as ours - I don’t understand this belief that this has been as result of their owners spending vast sums.

They couldn’t even beat Chelsea to Werner in the market.

We have gone backwards not because of our spend, we have because our recruitment is a world away from where it was 5 years ago. We have wasted extraordinary sums since then and yet people still think that is the solution.

The DOF model has built a two top sides with little outlay with the last one being good enough to win the games major honours. It didn’t because it’s coach firstly treated trophies like the FA cup, UEFA cup and league cup with disdain and because he didn’t posses the necessary talent to operate at the elite level.

And his record demonstrates that - 11 years in management, 48 year old and 0 trophies to his name.

Acquisitions which were in the main financed by shrewdly investing the top of the market price of £130 million they extracted from the sale of Coutinho.

We spend not far shy of that figure of £130 million in making Davinson Sanchez and Ndombele as the two most expensive signings in our history.

They Picked up Mo Salah for around £30 million. An absolute steal as modern day prices go. We spent nearly £20 million on Vincent Janssen.

Klopp has a good eye for a player and is very canny in the transfer market.

He may have but Liverpool also have bigger wages and are a bigger draw the amount of stories of top players who we didn’t pay the money either in fees or wages is seems to be every season from Mane, Bruno Fernandes to Grealish and so on. We are always a player or two short even at our best.

Under Levy Poch’s job was primarily to get top 4 on a tight budget, which he achieved on 4 occasions far out ranking our other managers in the modern era while also coming 2nd and getting a CL final which is well beyond expectation. Prior to that he managed Saints and Espanyol where trophies are never gonna happen.

I do not see the squad he had as something on the level that Liverpool had, it was good but not great as testament just look at what AVB and Sherwood got out of it which had a lot of the same players. Yes Liverpool got lucky with a £130m sale, that’s life but they also can pay much bigger wages than us.

The club put together an elite group of players -Champions league qualification was a minimum expectation with that talent pool. I love this suggestion that as we as we hadn’t done this before this is something that should be lauded. Belgium had done little in international football but using your logic getting to a semi final is an achievement for them despite them have the best talent group in international game.

Klopp managed Mainz and then went to Dortmund ( a club with less resources than us) and won 2 league titles. Simeone had a mixed managerial career prior to joining A Madrid ( less resources than us) but won multiple titles.

The majority of the games most current successful managers over the last two decades have won major honours at clubs similar to us (Mourhino/Porto & Inter, Klopp Dortmund & Liverpool, Benitez Valencia and Liverpool, Simeone A Madrid. Pochettinho is always the odd one out on every metric.

As for having the same talent pool as AVB and Sherwood. Firstly no he didnt which why he just scrapped 5th on the final day in his first season and then had Kane, Ali, Alderwield and Dier whilst Eriksen had settled.

And Liverpool didn’t get lucky - they produced on a recruitment level and on a managerial level. We on the other hand did neither in the last 5 years

So disinterested that he got in the PFA team of the year that season

Dembele was also one of our best players that - his double pivot that season with Sandro was arguably the best in the league.

Poch wouldn’t play Dembele in his first season - Stambouli was played a head of him at certain pints of the season.

I am not sure what your overall point is other than to suggest that Poch was handed a Real Madrid team. Let’s look at his very best team.

Lloris: decent, not the greatest but decent

Walker: physically brilliant but limited

Toby: top draw

Verts: very good

Rose: Average until Poch came

Dembele: A mess before Poch once sorted our most important player for the system

Dier: reasonable utility player

Dele: mercurial, great goal scorer but limited in build up play

Eriksen: on and off, great sometimes and other times not.

Son: good goal scorer not great at build up play

Kane: World Class

If we made a XI with Liverpool. At best I can justify 4 of our vs 6 Liverpool and that is considering Henderson is far more suited to Klopps system than Eriksen, same with Fermino and Kane to a degree so it could be as low as just 2 of ours.

Best case

Alisson
Alexander-Arnold Toby Van Dijk Robertson
Eriksen Fabinho Dembele
Salah Kane Mane

Worst case

Alisson
Alexander-Arnold Toby Van Dijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Dembele
Salah Fermino Mane

Last edited:
What we're seeing now is one of, if not the most succesful managers in the history of the modern game struggling to get a tune out of the very same bunch of players that Pochettino somehow, incredibly, miraculously, took to within 90 minutes of becoming European Champions.

Let that sink in, guys.

Perenial Champions league qualifiers to the shit we saw against Bournmouth. With the same team. The same players. Just 13 months ago.

Wow!

The stumps who cried Poch out instead of Levy out have had the pants pulled down and arses exposed.

They're smarting so much they're desperate to deflect anything they can onto Poch to justify their naivety. Or stupidity.

Is it any wonder that Poch gave up after 5 years working under shackles of Daniel Levy?
Yes, we can blame him for the horrors of Munich and Colchester after throwing in the towell.

But guys, what we're seeing today is irrefutable proof, not that any is needed, that the problem isn't Jose Mourinho, it wasn't Pochettino. It wasn't Redknapp, AVB, Jol, Ramos or the rest, either.

The problem is, and always will be, Daniel Levy.

He never got offered those jobs because they know he will never win anything for as long as he is a manager. He would fail to win the French league with Psg
UTD fans were crying out for him to join them. Our own fans used to cry about how much Sky Sports linked him to UTD. But yes, keep trying to convince yourself a big club wouldn't touch him.

UTD fans were crying out for him to join them. Our own fans used to cry about how much Sky Sports linked him to UTD. But yes, keep trying to convince yourself a big club wouldn't touch him.
Yet they never went after him and that is with him blatantly wanting the man u job, weird that isn't it. Has a big club taken him yet?

Problem in a nutshell is Poch started off on his first season at Spurs with Lloris, Vorm Walker, Rose, Davies, Vertonghen, Dier, Dembele, Mason Bentaleb, Eriksen, Kane

Of later additions :
Dele - David Pleat bullied Levy into signing the unknown
Son - Player and agent unhappy that Son not allowed by German club to play at Asian games (to win it meant exemption from compulsory army call up), Spurs took the risk. Son won Asian games in 2018 as captain whilst playing well and scoring/assisting goals for Spurs. Opportunity given to Levty/Poch
Winks - One academy prospect brought through in 5-6 seasons is very poor from the manager.

The majority of teams Poch picked typically had about 7 or 8 players in who were already at Spurs or he had little to do with (eg Dele and Son).

And what that means is that of the 20 or so players signed when Poch was pleased to say he had a significant amount of control over transfers, the vast majority were not good enough to consistently make Poch's teams. Foyth, N'Jie, N'koudou, Janssen, Yedlin, Pau Lopez,, Wimmer, Llorente, or players who played who really arent ideal for Spurs such as Sissoko (and at £30m I'd have preferred to have bought all 3 or Brooks, Maddisin and Grealish for the same money at that time and developed them) or one season wonders such as Wanyama. About his only successes were Alderweireld,and Trippier with 'ok status' for the likes of Mouraand Sanchez.,

Pretty appalling statistics for buying players - total contrast to the squad inherited by Poch.

Good coach, lousy at selecting players to buy- and self indulgent by refusing to accept a DoF

The club spent the Bale money on Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue, Chadli, Chiriches, Eriksen and Lamela.

Only Eriksen really succeeded out of that lot. 1 out of 7. Poch inherited them. So who is really lousy at selecting players?

Poch sorted out the defence, for the first time in a long time, and in Kane he had one of the PL's best strikers.
Unfortunately the best team he built, in our last season at WHL, disintegrated - Wanyama's injury, Dembele just getting on, and players like Walker were not replaced. He had the right formation, the central defenders still had two good seasons in them, and Kane when injured could be replaced by Son. Had we stayed at WHL another season I'm confident we would have won something, if not the EPL then a cup of some sort.
But I think it was the background of instability which meant Poch could not then push on in terms of the EPL. Moving stadium, the overstay at Wembley in particular, couldn't have come at a worse time.
The reality is Spurs had their chance when Leicester won the title, and to a certain extent we blew it - if we hadn't thrown the lead vs 10 men woolwich, we would have gone top of the table and psychologically I think that Leicester would have crumbled. The players then went a bit crazy vs Chelsea but really it was the home game vs woolwich which was the wasted opportunity. That is for me the most disappointing result in my time as a Spurs fan.
I don't blame Poch, nor Levy, for all that - I just think there is something of a curse on the club, as well as an inability to play for the full 90 minutes. Spurs just have bad timing in general, which in a way is related to getting too carried away when ahead, and too easy to fold when down. Poch identified this as a psychological issue at the club which he was trying to address, perhaps Mourinho is the person to do this, it seems he has identified it as one of the main things holding Spurs back. But obviously a lot of next season will come down to whether he can retain Kane's services.

I think the noticeable thing already with Mourinho is a mentality thing. Saying to the players if we win our next two, we win the Europa league gets in their head. Ive played the europa twice and won it twice. Talking like a winner. Poch would probably say “we will try. There are no easy games...”. Jose says “we will win it.” Players know he’s won it before, so get more confident. They can then give the extra 1% that is the difference between being a winner or just echoes of glory with another semi final loss, another runners up position etc.

I loved Poch. I am gutted how it ended, but two cup final losses, multiple semi final losses, failure to win the league when we could/should have done. Success breeds success and vice versa. When Jose first joined I saw a quote by him where the journo asked if the problems at Spurs were because of losing the Cl final. He responded ‘I don’t know, Ive never lost a final.’ Winning mentality. Hopefully it bleeds through because we need to get the no trophy monkey of our backs.

Back
Top Bottom