The Squad - Who stays/goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane makes clear in no uncertain terms that he will not sign a new contract and will leave Spurs next summer if not permitted to do so this summer. He wants out to fulfill trophy winning ambitions elsewhere.

New manager Arne Slot makes clear in no uncertain terms that Kane is central to his plans, and any replacement would have to be a top-of-market centerpiece to fulfill his tactical vision.

Manchester United table a bid for 80 million pounds.

What do you do?
“Hi Arne - Kane has no intention of signing a new deal. If you take the job we’re confident we can get close to 100m for him. Work with Steinsson to identify some players that will improve the team. They have already identified A, B and C.”

FWIW my stay list - and its important that none of these should think they are immediately first team "must starters" - we need a squad of hungry players, not 11 hungry players and 11ish that think its a nailed on position every week

Forster (as number 2 again, and only if they dont want to promote Austin or Whiteman to 2)
Porro - not seen enough yet to say stay or nay, given financial investment in him and his attitude have to give the man a chance
Romero - ...but if the right offer came in, id take it. WC winner but a walking yellow card in the modern game
Royal - never thought id say this, but depends on new manager, if hes a 4 man def kinda guy Emerson can do a job there
Spence - not seen enough again so hard to say bin him off
Davies - 100% not as first choice, back up LB/CB when needed, versatility is handy
Udogie - not played yet, surely better than current options
Reguilon - contentious but I really dont remember him being THAT shit for us? Would happily accept a decent offer again though
Skipp - actually loves this club. You cant buy that
Sarr - looks like he could be a serious player
Bentancur - the only mid we have with some silky skillz
Bissouma - needs the right system and the right manager to return to being that player who was a standout in a very attacking, modern Brighton side. Could he work in a system with an AM alongside Bentancur though?
Kulusevski - still have a year left before have to make it perm i believe? Lets see if you want it Deki
Son - I know, I know, hes had a shit year, but surely that player we saw only a few months ago is still in there. If a good offer comes in however - take it
Kane - ONLY if he signs a new contract. Which he wont. So take the £££ and wish him well winning a trophy elsewhere

Richarlison is the one i really have no idea about. Not a clinical goalscorer, never has been. What is his role now, never mind under a new manager? On the fence with him.

The rest are either getting on a bit, leaving on free transfers/loan ends, not good enough, dont fit the club/dont want to be here, have had multiple chances to prove themselves and havent done so.

Last edited:
“Hi Arne - Kane has no intention of signing a new deal. If you take the job we’re confident we can get close to 100m for him. Work with Steinsson to identify some players that will improve the team. They have already identified A, B and C.”
So you would NOT allow Kane to continue to the last year of his contract then?

I agree with you, I'm just trying to get you on the record here because this is an epochal decision the club is facing at this very moment.

So you would NOT allow Kane to continue to the last year of his contract then?

I agree with you, I'm just trying to get you on the record here because this is an epochal decision the club is facing at this very moment.
He’s one of our own and a great goal scorer.

However if (for example) the new manager wants a high pressing team and feels Richarlisons energy works better and we buy an attacking midfielder and a good prospect at 9 then I’m happy to sell Kane. He looks sluggish and I think the team has to trump any one player. If we’re going to transition then now is the time. Same for son too if there’s a good offer.

But the money needs to be right.

It’s a tough position depending how those variables line up

2) get rid of bad players to raise funds
It's important to live in reality.

In the present market selling bad players is nearly impossible and will generate next to nothing in incoming funds in the best of cases.

We will do well to get Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks and Rodon loans that pay their wages for another year, that might be unrealistic.

The squad needs change though, for its own sake really. There is not a single player I wouldn't entertain a reasonably fair market offer for.

It's important to live in reality.

In the present market selling bad players is nearly impossible and will generate next to nothing in incoming funds in the best of cases.

We will do well to get Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks and Rodon loans that pay their wages for another year, that might be unrealistic.

The squad needs change though, for its own sake really. There is not a single player I wouldn't entertain a reasonably fair market offer for.
I agree. It will be difficult to sell these players and we will definitely do so at a loss. It’s important to do though.

But the money needs to be right.
We are, in my view, extraordinarily lucky that United looks like a bona fide possibility in the summer. And will be luckier still if Bayern presents another.

We should have sold to City in 2021, that was a massive mistake. That was the best bid we were ever going to get, and if the club thought it had plans to compete for major honors over the balance of Kane's remaining contract, it was engaged in utter self-delusion.

If we get a second chance to escape from having a player who is much too good for us with fair compensation and our dignity intact, we mustn't miss it.

Pointless putting in the list I want gone as would take me 10 mins. Players I would keep

Kane
Kuluvesci
Bissouma
Skipp
Romero
Porro
Saar
Bentecur

That’s about it. Obviously Udoggie to come in who we don’t know. Apart from that, the rest can kindly fuck off.

NON-HG (17)
LLORISGO
ROYALGO
ROMEROSTAY
DIERSTAY
LENGLETSTAY?
SANCHEZGO
PORROSTAY?
PERISICSTAY?
HOJBJERGSTAY
BENTANCURSTAY
BISSOUMASTAY?
KULUSEVSKISTAY
DANJUMASTAY?
MOURAGO
RICHARLISONSTAY?
SONSTAY?
SARRSTAY
ASSOCIATION (3)
FORSTERSTAY
DAVIESSTAY
SESSEGNONSTAY?
CLUB TRAINED (5)
AUSTINSTAY?
WHITEMANSTAY?
TANGANGAGO
SKIPPSTAY
KANESTAY

Sanchez, Dier, and Lloris have to go to fix the defence. Spend big on 2cbs and a quality goalkeeper who can play and distribute. We can get rid of Tanganga too and promote someone from within to add depth surely. At this stage the bar is so low that I at least just want some new players to get angry at instead of the same ole donkeys making the same mistakes for the fucking 7th season in a row.

We need to strengthen the spine of this team.

At our best with Poch we had Dembele/ Wanyama with Toby & Jan.

We have zero ball winners and no muscle. Certainly don’t have the players to pass around the opposition either. Just stick with a bunch of blah

I’m still hopeful for Skipp even after today’s poor performance

Anyone over about 25 can go. I would like to see what the right Poch-like project coach would do with: Udogie, Spence, Sarr, Gil, Romero, Kulu, Richarlison, Betancur, Porro, Bissouma.

I honestly don’t see how the hell we can actually rid ourselves of the many albatrosses we have hung around our neck. Where is the market?

I’d rather send Kane to Bayern for 40m than anywhere in the Prem for double that amount.

Last edited:
Who should go permanently (for one reason or another):

Kane
Son
Lloris
PEH
Lucas
Dier
Sanchez
Sessegnon
Perisic
Lenglet
Ndombele
GLC
Winks

Will we get rid of all/most of them? Of course not. But this squad needs a good clearout. Kane can't offer anymore to this club, the others are just not good enough.

The new spine should be built around:
Romero
Porro
Udogie
Bentancur
Skipp
Sarr
Bissouma
Kulusevski
Gil
Richarlison

Spence, Emerson and Davies should stay, unless a brilliant offer comes for them. Rodon and Reguilon are mysteries.

Who should go permanently (for one reason or another):

Kane
Son
Lloris
PEH
Lucas
Dier
Sanchez
Sessegnon
Perisic
Lenglet
Ndombele
GLC
Winks

Will we get rid of all/most of them? Of course not. But this squad needs a good clearout. Kane can't offer anymore to this club, the others are just not good enough.

The new spine should be built around:
Romero
Porro
Udogie
Bentancur
Skipp
Sarr
Bissouma
Kulusevski
Gil
Richarlison

Spence, Emerson and Davies should stay, unless a brilliant offer comes for them. Rodon and Reguilon are mysteries.
Is Reguilon a mystery though? My recollection of him is franticly running into dead ends, only to concede possession.

Last edited:
We are, in my view, extraordinarily lucky that United looks like a bona fide possibility in the summer. And will be luckier still if Bayern presents another.

We should have sold to City in 2021, that was a massive mistake. That was the best bid we were ever going to get, and if the club thought it had plans to compete for major honors over the balance of Kane's remaining contract, it was engaged in utter self-delusion.

If we get a second chance to escape from having a player who is much too good for us with fair compensation and our dignity intact, we mustn't miss it.
What was the bid? Wasn’t it around 50M with add ons? We wouldn’t have qualified for the CL without him last season, that may have generated 75M alone

Back
Top Bottom