The Squad - Who stays/goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We currently have Reguilon, Spence, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks, Rodon, Gil out on loan.

You'd imagine the club will only keep Gil and Spence out of those so that's 5 you need to try and get rid of first and foremost.

Out of the current side still at the club:

Sanchez, Dier, Lloris, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Lucas Either Tanganga or Sessegnon survives as their homegrown and Lenglet can go back to Barca but I can see the club doing a deal if he's cheap

There's no way we are going to be able to sell 12 players so some of these fuckers are going to stay

In an ideal world the only players I actually would keep of this current lot is

Kane
Kulusevski
Bentancur
Bissouma
Porro
Romero
Skipp
Sarr

The rest of them I would gladly wave goodbye to, sick of most of them
Exactly the same list as me, giving Porro the benefit of the doubt as he's only been at the club 5 mins but hoping for much more from him

This is the first time I’ve felt genuinely hopeless about what positive changes can be made to this squad. Obviously I've felt fed up at our failings for a while, but am embarrassed to say this has been the point when I finally realised the true severity of the endless cycle we're in.

Over the last 5 or so years how many comments to the effect of “if we just shift the dead wood and get 2-3 top signings in key positions, we’re right in it!” have been written on this forum? It’s fucking depressing. There's systemic barriers in place deep within the fibres of the club that prevent us from, firstly, being able to accurately identify our issues and secondly, swiftly and affectively fix them.

The only way we're going to find another purple patch of joy, as we had under Poch, is by sheer luck. We either stumble upon another Bale/Kane level talent from nowhere or we just tumble into mid-table purgatory.

A lot in football is down to luck and circumstance, but it shouldn't be our one and only hope.

No matter how much we write about it here - it's extremely unlikely anyone smart enough is going to be allowed to cut swathes through the squad and implement their vision. They also wont be afforded the necessary time or money to do so. Players like Ndombele and Winks are going to be with us until their contracts just wither away.

This is the first time I’ve felt genuinely hopeless about what positive changes can be made to this squad. Obviously I've felt fed up at our failings for a while, but am embarrassed to say this has been the point when I finally realised the true severity of the endless cycle we're in.

Over the last 5 or so years how many comments to the effect of “if we just shift the dead wood and get 2-3 top signings in key positions, we’re right in it!” have been written on this forum? It’s fucking depressing. There's systemic barriers in place deep within the fibres of the club that prevent us from, firstly, being able to accurately identify our issues and secondly, swiftly and affectively fix them.

The only way we're going to find another purple patch of joy, as we had under Poch, is by sheer luck. We either stumble upon another Bale/Kane level talent from nowhere or we just tumble into mid-table purgatory.

A lot in football is down to luck and circumstance, but it shouldn't be our one and only hope.

No matter how much we write about it here - it's extremely unlikely anyone smart enough is going to be allowed to cut swathes through the squad and implement their vision. They also wont be afforded the necessary time or money to do so. Players like Ndombele and Winks are going to be with us until their contracts just wither away.
We need a full reset.

It's hopeless to try and build another team around Kane to go for the league. That ship has sailed and we need to accept that. We need a manager that can develop players like Postecouglu, Slot or even Rodgers for that matter. So we can focus on our younger core and to ship out most of the senior lot. And the seniors that we keep are to mainly be bench options.

The sooner we truly commit to going young, the sooner we can start building back up. But we have to accept that the Kane and Son project is over and missed the target.

We need a full reset.

It's hopeless to try and build another team around Kane to go for the league. That ship has sailed and we need to accept that. We need a manager that can develop players like Postecouglu, Slot or even Rodgers for that matter. So we can focus on our younger core and to ship out most of the senior lot. And the seniors that we keep are to mainly be bench options.

The sooner we truly commit to going young, the sooner we can start building back up. But we have to accept that the Kane and Son project is over and missed the target.
Yip. They tried "win now" but half-assed it. That window is closed. Time to start preparing for the next one.
And the thing about rebuilds - it doesn't necessarily mean zero trophies! I mean, fuck, United got one this season. A bunch of hungry young players proving themselves under a talented and charismatic manager would fight tooth and nail for a domestic cup. Our current roster of wannabe stars have been coddled too long with the belief that they're too good for comps like that.

Yip. They tried "win now" but half-assed it. That window is closed. Time to start preparing for the next one.
And the thing about rebuilds - it doesn't necessarily mean zero trophies! I mean, fuck, United got one this season. A bunch of hungry young players proving themselves under a talented and charismatic manager would fight tooth and nail for a domestic cup. Our current roster of wannabe stars have been coddled too long with the belief that they're too good for comps like that.
Arteta won a FA cup early in his gooner career. Rodgers won one at Leicester a couple of years into their youth rebuild.

If we go young and actually allow the managers to gun for a domestic cup, or one of the smaller European ones, that could still be a lot of fun.

But the important part is getting a manager that can work with young players and giving him time to do that. Both for Levy and for us as fans.

3 years of Rodgers would honestly be acceptable if that was what he was mainly asked to do (not saying that he is my first choice, just that he fits the role). And then you can look to bring in another big name manager in a few years for another push.

We need a full reset.

It's hopeless to try and build another team around Kane to go for the league. That ship has sailed ....

That makes me so sad... but it's the painful truth!

The Class of 2016-19 was probably amongst the best core squad of players I can remember in decades (possibly since the '82 team) but, unlike the '81/82 teams, who at least got a coupla FA Cups to their name... we fell short at EVERY hurdle!

2nd in the PL and Runners up in the CL final is all we're gonna have to show for that 'Golden' period!

Tarnished metal more like!

A good manager with an enjoyable style will make a lot of our players look a lot better. Think AVB to Pochettino.

There is no such thing as a full reset, just a few in and a few out every window. But they have to be improvements. They probably won't be

Lloris would be my priority big departure. He has of course given us many excellent seasons of stability in GK, but he's certainly no better than Forster anymore, and I'm certain his mentality and captaincy is part of the inner rot at the club. He's clearly declining and shouldn't be the leader of our players anymore.

How have we accumulated so many has-beens never-was and complete clowns? It's epic negligence.

OUT
Levy
Dier
PEH
Loris
Tanganga
Sanchez
Reguilon
Winks
Lucas
N'dombele
Loshitshow
Son
Persic
Harsh on Son, I honestly think he'll get his mojo back under the right manager. And maybe Perisic is just too old for the PL now, as he was a great player.
The rest - agreed.

Keep

Kane
Kulu
Bentancur
Skipp
Sarr
Romero (although I’m still not convinced)
Porro
Richarlison (would be good if played more)
Bissouma (hasn’t had a chance this season)

Put everyone else in a massive sack and throw it in the Thames

How have we accumulated so many has-beens never-was and complete clowns? It's epic negligence.

OUT
Levy
Dier
PEH
Loris
Tanganga
Sanchez
Reguilon
Winks
Lucas
N'dombele
Loshitshow
Son
Persic
It’s insane how many of these outs are fairly recent signings. I can give the club some slack for Reguilon and Locelso as they were quite highly rated in their domestic leagues.

In an attempt to avoid becoming a selling club we’ve become very good at keeping players well past their prime.

Harsh on Son, I honestly think he'll get his mojo back under the right manager. And maybe Perisic is just too old for the PL now, as he was a great player.
The rest - agreed.
I genuinely think Son is one of my favourite recent spurs players but I’ve got serious doubts over him getting his mojo back. His issues go far deeper than lack of finishing, his entire game has been off the entire season

Back
Top Bottom