The THFC Player Committee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can I suggest the name the Soviet of North London?

All power to the Soviet’s.

cat lenin GIF

Why is there a players committee and why the fuck do they get a say?

Gaffer
Everyone else, who does what the gaffer says

No wonder we (and football) is such a mess.

Gaffer

Because football at the pro level is a big industry and a first team squad can be quite big with tons of cultures and egos involved.

A manager is not going to be able to do anything. And the player council/committee is a informal thing that exists so that the players know that there are 3-4 people that can be the player's voices in relation to the board and other execs.

This exists in all pro clubs in some form.

I don’t really get why this surprises anyone. Our squad lacks characters and those four are the best of a bad bunch in terms of leadership. They are all experienced players who have often fronted up after bad results. I understand why they would be the ones who speak on behalf of the dressing room.

Really don't thing this is an issue (beyond the slightly wanky "Players' Committee" name).

As has been said before, there are such things at most clubs. Even our pissant pub cricket team has one (and yes, we ironically call ourselves "the Committee"). I'm on it, although I'm an awful long way from being a key player. It's just I've been around the longest and I'm not leaving Madrid anytime soon.

It's common to see in the Spanish media that the Madrid manager or Florentino Pérez has had a meeting with "the captains" - the three or four senior players who wear the armband. Typically they're the players that have been around the longest, it has nothing to do with their blood-and-guts motivational approach (a la Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, John Terry et al), they're just the oldest and most respected within the squad.

That's all this is, the four in question are our version of los capitanes, they've all worn the armband, their voice must carry some weight in the dressing room, rightly or wrongly. You could argue that Ben Davies should have been there, maybe instead of PEH, but it's a minor quibble. It has absolutely nothing to do with their form, ability or anything else.

Gaffer

More worrying for me is why they get the Chairman's ear when it comes to big decisions.

We knew from Danny Rose that players were going above the managers head and straight to the Chairman. Now we know there is a fucking committee set up to do exactly that.

I don’t really get why this surprises anyone. Our squad lacks characters and those four are the best of a bad bunch in terms of leadership. They are all experienced players who have often fronted up after bad results. I understand why they would be the ones who speak on behalf of the dressing room.

Kane and Lloris have.

Hojberg spoke out against Conte's rant and Dier says almost nothing to the fans after his howlers cost us game after game.

Is this a committee, a discussion group, or a cabal? At my old workplace, where committees, sub-committees, panels, forums, workgroups, and Secret Illuminati Death Cults abounded, we defined "cabal" as "a discussion group to which you are not invited".

I suspect all clubs have them, doesn't help that ours contains players that should be sold though. But it is all deflection. It was chucked in the post by the club yesterday as they knew fans would focus on it.

I suspect all clubs have them, doesn't help that ours contains players that should be sold though. But it is all deflection. It was chucked in the post by the club yesterday as they knew fans would focus on it.

Decent point.

Levy: The responsibility is mine.
Also Levy: Stellini is fired and oooh look is that a player committee over there? what are they doing.

Back
Top Bottom