The Y Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm very on the fence about the word.

I'm not jewish and have heard of some Jewish Spurs fans who don't like it. I don't want to upset or offend anyone so I don't chant it myself at matches, or at least not anymore.

I think we all know and accept that Spurs fans don't use it in any way meaning or intending offence, in fact quite the opposite, it's supposed to be a cry of war, a badge of honour and something that brings us all together.

I think the logic of the naysayes is that if we stop using, the opp fans (Mostly Chelsea and WHU) will stop too. That's a nice sentiment, but it's not at all realistic. The Y word is only one of a few different Jewsih identifiers the club has. Us stopping using the word certainly wont stop neanderthal opp fans being anti Semitic.

I’m Jewish, have never ever been offended by the word, have never met a Jewish spurs fan that’s offended by the word, in fact I’ve never met a football fan offended by the word

Everyone knows we sing it as a term of endearment, the words origins aren’t even offensive, my uncle used to call me and my sister little yiddies, my grandma used to call my grandad a yid and neither were spurs fans or even interested in football (both were Jewish)

It’s a word that originated as a greeting, like saying ‘mate’, which was taken and changed by racists cunts to mean something negative and nasty, spurs fans have taken that word back and given it a positive meaning again, like it originally had

If I was told I can’t say or sing the word anymore I’d never set foot in the stadium again, that’d be me done

I'm glad antisemitism has been completely eradicated so we no longer have to use this term...

This won't stand up in any court of law, as with any term context is key. Any mundane language can be used in an offensive manner it's all about how and why it's used.
Unfortunately the do gooders can make anything stick these days. I dont even think you can call someone an arsehole and not get charged.

Best thing to do is wear a scarf or snood over your mouth

I’m Jewish, have never ever been offended by the word, have never met a Jewish spurs fan that’s offended by the word, in fact I’ve never met a football fan offended by the word

Everyone knows we sing it as a term of endearment, the words origins aren’t even offensive, my uncle used to call me and my sister little yiddies, my grandma used to call my grandad a yid and neither were spurs fans or even interested in football (both were Jewish)

It’s a word that originated as a greeting, like saying ‘mate’, which was taken and changed by racists cunts to mean something negative and nasty, spurs fans have taken that word back and given it a positive meaning again, like it originally had

If I was told I can’t say or sing the word anymore I’d never set foot in the stadium again, that’d be me done
People like to get offended on your behalf.

Usually well educated white pen pushers from down town.

This again huh. I'm going to be honest this 100% will have zero impact on my love for Spurs its too deep. Nothing breaks that not a song not the owners not a chant not a change of kit. I'm connected to the eleven men and the unbroken chain of men that go back to 1882. I will support that no matter what. I don't like the way we have been forced into this conversation and some of the people around the debate make me sick. I believe its a conversation primarily for Jewish Spurs fans .

That said I am fully cognisant of the facts that times change. Behaving like King Canute is frankly daft social norms are generational, taste change and subsequent generations have the right to redefine those parameters.

That young people find the comedy of yester year offensive is what it is, they have that right, and will be the television commissioners of tomorrow so we don't have Jim Davidson and Benny Hill . In a public space language will also be policed accordingly and I am not so attached to the Y word that I'd want to deliberately make a Jewish person unhappy. In short we'll find new songs to sing.

This again huh. I'm going to be honest this 100% will have zero impact on my love for Spurs its too deep. Nothing breaks that not a song not the owners not a chant not a change of kit. I'm connected to the eleven men and the unbroken chain of men that go back to 1882. I will support that no matter what. I don't like the way we have been forced into this conversation and some of the people around the debate make me sick. I believe its a conversation primarily for Jewish Spurs fans .

That said I am fully cognisant of the facts that times change. Behaving like King Canute is frankly daft social norms are generational, taste change and subsequent generations have the right to redefine those parameters.

That young people find the comedy of yester year offensive is what it is, they have that right, and will be the television commissioners of tomorrow so we don't have Jim Davidson and Benny Hill . In a public space language will also be policed accordingly and I am not so attached to the Y word that I'd want to deliberately make a Jewish person unhappy. In short we'll find new songs to sing.
From what i see it doesnt make our jewish fans unhappy though.
Im irish and its like someone calling me a fenian. If they bothered to look up that word and where it came from theyd realise its not an insult.
Its mainly people with nothing better to getting offended for someone that doesnt want or need it

Incidentally, I remember you explaining this to some Spanish people in a bar in Madrid who were bemused by the star of David on your flag.
I think it was you at least...
Yes was indeed me! We were both a little worse for wear that night from what I remember!

Funnily enough I had a lot of questions about the flag from Spanish people that week, all were quite interested and not many knew that spurs had a big Jewish following

From what i see it doesnt make our jewish fans unhappy though.
Im irish and its like someone calling me a fenian. If they bothered to look up that word and where it came from theyd realise its not an insult.
Its mainly people with nothing better to getting offended for someone that doesnt want or need it
I'd not presume to know what they think mate. Like I say its a debate for Jewish Spurs fans I heard a podcast where some were saying they didn't like it and others did. My point remains I am not so connected to the word it would effect my love for the team, I find it frankly strange that for some it would have that power.

I'd not presume to know what they think mate. Like I say its a debate for Jewish Spurs fans I heard a podcast where some were saying they didn't like it and others did. My point remains I am not so connected to the word it would effect my love for the team, I find it frankly strange that for some it would have that power.
I don’t want to be involved in football anymore if I’m told that im not allowed to use a word that is from my heritage, and isn’t offensive in its original form, just because some chelsea cunts decided to take its meaning and make it negative

Fuck that for a laugh

Interestingly if it were sung Scotland it would see everyone arrested and facing a 4 year prison sentence as of April. Love to see what happens at the old firm games after April - the level of utter bile and bigotry in the west of Scotland is mind blowing but the fans have managed to control this issue by singing the Really bad songs outside the grounds only - where its not heard on the TV....... Oh there it is!

I actually think its more a protest against censorship than the actual word.
is yid short for yiddish. A normal term for a certain jewish sect.? Far right elements ie chelsea, west ham have added it offensive remarks.
Maybe premier leauge should clamp down on their version ie hissing, nazi salutes

Not arguing your opinion at all just want to know opinions 👍

I'm not Jewish, don't feel comfortable using the word and wouldn't have any issue with a flat ban of its use should that be a decision supported by a large section of our Jewish fan base.

Seeing a lad sporting a skull cap with long payos wearing a Spurs shirt, climbing up one of those white steel pillars outside Wembley to start a Yid chant before a Woolwich game gave me the impression that one Jewish guy was firmly in favour of non Jewish fans like myself joining in with what was ultimately an act of solidarity - certainly not hate.

Have also been sat on a mini bus of Spurs fans about 20 years ago, driving through North London with drunk men shouting the Y word at clearly Jewish families just going about their daily business with presumably no interest in football or its culture, which wasn't about solidarity or anything positive for sure. Just a cheap shot because they thought it was fair game as they're Spurs fans.

The continued use of the word is certainly not my call, but having read through all the posts on here my stance remains the same - I want to support and back our Jewish fans in a way they feel is appropriate.

COYS

I’m Jewish, my gramparents fled Nazi occupied Hungry in the 1940’s as refugees… the rest of their family never made it out.

I’m proud to be a Spurs fan and have often been even more proud that Spurs have always been so proud to be associated with us Jews.

However, I do often fear that the term Yids could invite further anti semitism from other fans or could offend Jewish fans of other clubs.

I don’t have an answer. It doesn’t offend me, I enjoy it. But I do wonder how I’d feel if (as a Jew ) I wittnesed it and I didn’t have the pleasure of being a Spurs fan.

Food for thought …

Back
Top Bottom