Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I genuinely think its absolutely mental.

Imagine, for a second, its the beginning of August, and I post

Hey guys, my prediction for this season:
We are going to get off to our best start ever, by Dec we will have matched our best haul to that point
We will be in a league cup qtr final
Through in the FA cup
And through in Europe having won every single game.

We wont have been playing well, but we will have brought 7 news players which might explain it

Then we are going to sack AVB

You would all, to a man, piss yourselves, and ask me what I am smoking.

Then I go on, like nostradamus:

Once AVB is gone we will put Sherwood in temporary charge ("not to bad", I suspect you think, "fair enough")

He will lose to West Ham, at home, again.
Not by putting in a plucky performance, but by gambling wildly with only one CM on the pitch.
Then we will beat SCBC with an equally reckless team, in a Keeganesque style of set up
Including passing over Holtby and Capoue on the bench for Bentaleb getting his debut, away, in a must win game

Of course by now Im getting Sammy levels of troll accusations, not only do you think Im on a wind up but you think Im being a cunt as well. But Im not done there!

Then we will give Sherwood an 18 month contract to not only see us through this season but next as well!

Am I in the sin bin yet? :avbfacepalm:

Yes, Im being facaetious, but the point needs to be made. So many of you are telling me it all makes sense, its a good choice and its a sensible thing to do - but honestly - read through that and tell me you wouldnt have said I was fucking insane if I told you all this just a month ago.

This is not a good move on any scale, it really isnt.

I can only hope Sherwood is hiding his inner Guardiola and is about to come into his own.

So far I have seen naive moves made by a manager with a hell of a lot to learn, someone gambling with nothing to lose because he is using somebody elses chips. I have seen no design, no plan, and basically no defending either.

IMHO, if we line up like we did at SCBC against better teams we will get spanked and deservedly so.

Now that Sherwood has the job I pray he takes it more seriously. With some consideration to defence his adventurous style could be a revelation. Fingers crossed he has been reckless on the basis he has nothing to lose. Now he does, so now he gets to show us what he is made of. Take it seriously Tim, impress us.

I really like that he has unlocked the attacking players. I dont think they are entirely fluent yet, but there are clear signs they are coming together. It does, however, need to be balanced with the idea we wont be playing League 1 defenders every week.

Right now I feel as though the season has been written off.

Of course the 18 months is meaningless, it gets Sherwood on board but make no mistake Levy will sack him in the summer if he isnt impressing. Or if someone more appealing hitches their skirt.

I havent a clue what Levy is doing. I think he doesnt either. Clearly sacking AVB was without a plan B, without real consideration. And clearly no one worthy was interested.

I think Sherwood has the job by default. Right now, based on what Ive seen (and the obvious fact he has no experience) I dont think he is up to it. I hope, pray, and beg he proves me wrong and before the end of the season Im eating humble pie.

Sherwood is now our manager. I want nothing more than his unbridled success from now.

Despite the kamikaze set-up of the team, I was warming to the idea of Sherwood because of his interviews and the performance of Bentelab - but seeing Holtby (and Capoe) playing in the reserves makes this evening's announcement hard to take. I hope it's just a fitness thing or something and not a political decision.

:llorishuh:

The article linked to earlier had this quote from Danny Rose

“People may think that, but you know that Tim won’t take nonsense from anybody,” said the defender. “In his first training session a couple of players rolled up late and he got us all in a circle and told us it was unacceptable, in ‘polite’ words.

I was thinking it may be that both Holtby and Capoue were the two players mentioned and that this is a disciplinary thing. A case of Sherwood attempting to stamp his authority over the squad?

@ Lister Lister woolwich are getting by pretty well with smashing lesser teams and struggling against the big boys. I know they and Wenger are quite a bit better atm but it's not that bad a plan for getting top 4.

Ginola's take on this ...
“I think it’s a fantastic idea,” said the White Hart Lane favourite.

“I saw the game at Southampton, which was a fantastic result, but as well as that you could see he is aiming to change some bits and pieces in the team - starting with the fact that he’s playing Adebayor, who has already scored three goals.

"It seemed like it was a team that needed some changes and I think Tim and Les could do a good job.

"Because there aren’t many managers available right now, rather than make a mistake it’s better for the club to appoint someone you know, someone who knows the club and the players really well.

“It’s only until the end of next season, but if he does a good job, why not appoint him for good?

“He played for the club, he loves the club so I think it is great news for Spurs.”

Of course by now Im getting Sammy levels of troll accusations, not only do you think Im on a wind up but you think Im being a cunt as well. But Im not done there!

Yes, Im being facaetious, but the point needs to be made. So many of you are telling me it all makes sense, its a good choice and its a sensible thing to do - but honestly - read through that and tell me you wouldnt have said I was fucking insane if I told you all this just a month ago.

I can only hope Sherwood is hiding his inner Guardiola and is about to come into his own.

So far I have seen naive moves made by a manager with a hell of a lot to learn, someone gambling with nothing to lose because he is using somebody elses chips. I have seen no design, no plan, and basically no defending either.

IMHO, if we line up like we did at SCBC against better teams we will get spanked and deservedly so.

Now that Sherwood has the job I pray he takes it more seriously. With some consideration to defence his adventurous style could be a revelation. Fingers crossed he has been reckless on the basis he has nothing to lose. Now he does, so now he gets to show us what he is made of. Take it seriously Tim, impress us.

I really like that he has unlocked the attacking players. I dont think they are entirely fluent yet, but there are clear signs they are coming together. It does, however, need to be balanced with the idea we wont be playing League 1 defenders every week.

Of course the 18 months is meaningless, it gets Sherwood on board but make no mistake Levy will sack him in the summer if he isnt impressing. Or if someone more appealing hitches their skirt.

I havent a clue what Levy is doing. I think he doesnt either. Clearly sacking AVB was without a plan B, without real consideration. And clearly no one worthy was interested.

I think Sherwood has the job by default. Right now, based on what Ive seen (and the obvious fact he has no experience) I dont think he is up to it. I hope, pray, and beg he proves me wrong and before the end of the season Im eating humble pie.

Sherwood is now our manager. I want nothing more than his unbridled success from now.

Genuinely great post sir. My feelings exactly, to a word.

@ Lister Lister woolwich are getting by pretty well with smashing lesser teams and struggling against the big boys. I know they and Wenger are quite a bit better atm but it's not that bad a plan for getting top 4.

It can work, of course. In terms of getting to the top end beating those beneath you is more important than beating those around you.

Beating those beneath you AND around you is the stuff of champions.

We are in a superb position, genuinely, so with luck Tim takes off and gets us riding a wave through the rest of the season

There was no one else. Within reason, this was the only appointment the club could make. Sherwood COULD do a really good job for us and those of you slating this decision have nothing really to go on other than the fact he has no managerial experience. A little snobbish, in my opinion, but otherwise a fair enough point. Not enough to declare doom and gloom. There are plenty of shitty managers out there with loads of experience, didn't make them any better at their job. The best managers all had to start somewhere. Tim could be great, he really could. If the biggest club in the world had the cajones to appoint a manager with no experience then why shouldn't we? It's done. So let's get behind him.

Season starts now.

Next year will be our year and all that.

COYS.

excellent post completely agree. While i dont want to write sherwood off from the start I cant help but feel that levy sacked avb and then realised no one is available and panicked. If at the start of the season or even a couple of weeks ago I would have been told that sherwood would be our new manager for the forseeable future I would have thought you were mad. Will support him while he is in charge and believe he at least deserves a chance I really cant see how this ends well

Yep is all spursy madness.

Bear in mind though, the maddest part of all is sacking AVB, which I still think we don't know the full truth behind, and am inclined to think there was more of a mutual aspect to. I think the had just had a tit full of everything to be honest. He didn't look like a happy boy over the past few months.

What's happened is what it is, and given the nonsensical situation were in Sherwood's appointment is the least disruptive option on paper, plus who else is knocking DL's door down for an interview?

So i just got back home and i saw that Sherwood was appointed head coach till 2015. Honestly, just give the guy a chance. The guy deserves his chance and i am prepared to support him all the way, so we should all get behind the team and support our coach, no matter who he is. I did that when AVB was in charge although i was not convinced that all of his methods were right (especially in the latter part of his reign), but i did that anyway.

We still haven't lost anything this season (except the FA Cup) and if we manage pick ourselves up, we can still finish in the top 4. Our season starts now and we need to win the next few games, we can still make it if we believe in it. COYS.

yeah because we haven't been spanked 3 times already this season with DM's all over the place.

Mate, by all means disagree with my post, but how about explaining why?

In summary:
If I told you you this would happen a a short while ago Id have been laughed at.
Sherwood has basically no credentials for the job, understandably this is a concern.
Good luck to him.

Where exactly do you disagree

A very good post that I broadly agree with. But what is this 'SCBC' that you talk of? Some kind of in-joke/in-abbreviation that I've missed?!

Mate, by all means disagree with my post, but how about explaining why?

In summary:
If I told you you this would happen a a short while ago Id have been laughed at.
Sherwood has basically no credentials for the job, understandably this is a concern.
Good luck to him.

Where exactly do you disagree
it was a long post and I didn't want to reply to all of it lol.

I agree with all 3 of those points you made of course, the disagree was due to the fact you assume that playing attacking line ups like on Sunday means we'll get spanked by better teams, when better teams have already spanked us even with 1 or 2 DM's on the pitch. Even if we lose it won't be embarrassing scorelines like 5/6-0.

A very good post that I broadly agree with. But what is this 'SCBC' that you talk of? Some kind of in-joke/in-abbreviation that I've missed?!

South Coast Big Club, goes back to when they had Rupert Lowe in charge throwing his toys out of the pram about us taking Hoddle then Richards from them. Sorry mate, its habit!

it was a long post and I didn't want to reply to all of it lol.

I agree with all 3 of those points you made of course, the disagree was due to the fact you assume that playing attacking line ups like on Sunday means we'll get spanked by better teams, when better teams have already spanked us even with 1 or 2 DM's on the pitch. Even if we lose it won't be embarrassing scorelines like 5/6-0.

Funnily enough (or not?) I disagree there :)

Firstly AVB is gone, what point is there in picking at his results still? The king is dead, long live the king...

Secondly, I genuinely believe had we gone to the Etihad as we did Southampton it would have been worse than 6-0. Thats not pro/anti AVB anything, its a simple view based upon not even trying to defend against possibly the strongest attack in the league...

Back
Top Bottom