Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The left side is going to terrify teams with pace and movement. Maddison coming back gives that side a bit of everything.
Indeed. Although when Sonny comes back then Timo probably switches to the right and Johnson starts on the bench.

Maddison coming back should have a lifting effect on all the front players too. Richy was also out of form when he last played.

There was a moment early in the game when he cut but back in, found himself in space just outside the box then blasted the ball into row Z.

I’m actually glad he took the shot on and the fact that he missed doesn’t bother me at all. His confidence around shooting is clearly not where it should be but instead of taking the safe option (of a nothing pass), he showed the minerals to put his foot behind it, away from home, on his debut against United facing the Stretford end despite knowing that his finishing has been shit recently.

Managed correctly his finishing will improve. But the mentality to take that shot on given his circumstances I found pretty ballsy and something that you can’t teach.

Excited by Werner and I reckon he’ll be a quality player for us.

Nah

Timo or Son for the left, Son or Richy for CF, Kulu for the right with Johnson providing cover
Doesn't Ange prefer the wingers to have their preferred foot on the outside?

Then it would probably be Son and Kulusevski for the left and Johnson and Werner for the right.
Son could play rw as well of course.

Well it will be interesting to see how it turns out when all are fit and ready.

He speaks very well, didn't expect that.
Comes across as a mature guy and a good professional
Its’s very apparent that Ange prioritises the player character as he’s said before.

All of our recent signings (& the whole squad in general) seem really likeable individuals.

The closeness that generates can only be a positive thing.

Indeed. Although when Sonny comes back then Timo probably switches to the right and Johnson starts on the bench.

Maddison coming back should have a lifting effect on all the front players too. Richy was also out of form when he last played.

Not sure you know.

I would guess our front 3 is still:

Son Richy Deki

Unless Johnson or Werner goes off on one before Son gets back.

Its’s very apparent that Ange prioritises the player character as he’s said before.

All of our recent signings (& the whole squad in general) seem really likeable individuals.

The closeness that generates can only be a positive thing.
In Fairness character I think these days it's one of the top priorities for most managers, managing a team/squad is a as stressy enuf job in itself, having a player that's... Difficult? A prick! Whatever ... Well from my exp...just adds to the stress, sort of disproportionately.

I thought Werner had a decent debut considering how little he’s played lately. That’s a tough game to come into and when he gets fitter he’ll be more of a threat. There was a few occasions where he could have really went for the full back on a 1 v 1 but didn’t but I think we’ll see a lot more if him committing players in the coming weeks.
Once his match fitness levels get up he’ll be a big threat. I’m looking forward to seeing Maddison,Udogie and Werner terrorise teams down that left side.

Doesn't Ange prefer the wingers to have their preferred foot on the outside?

Then it would probably be Son and Kulusevski for the left and Johnson and Werner for the right.
Son could play rw as well of course.

Well it will be interesting to see how it turns out when all are fit and ready.

I think the winger footedness situation is probably dependent on who we are playing (and how they defend) and also who we have at CF. With a fit squad, there a quite a number of configurations we could put out… and Son being more two-footed than any of the others means he could fill a number of positions, but in general:

If we want to hit balls in for Richy to attack in the air, we’d probably prefer Timo/Johnson on the right and Kulu on the left. Better against the Sheffield United’s etc. Stodgy, low-block, packed box cloggers.

If we want it on the deck with either of Sonny or Richy in the middle, then the inverted wingers with underlapping/overlapping fullbacks works better and creates more confusion for defenders who are tracking (rather than already being parked back there).

Back
Top Bottom