Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Somehow managed to show why we´ve bought him and why he failed at Chelsea in one game lol
What I noticed in his Leipzig great season compilation, is he’s pretty decent finisher close in, it seems (as shown with his first woeful effort) that power, distance shots he is very poor at.

Hopefully Ange can train his to always look for the option, outside 12-15 Yards, so he need only rely on placed finishes.

Yeah, I think you're right.

What is it - £13m?

Yeah, for Ange, in this system, that's looking like it should be a good deal.

Good squad option, for how we play.

Bring a lot of flexibility, as he can play across the front.

---Maddison----Son----Werner---
That, for example, would carry a load of threat for any defence.

Oi Brenton; sort yourself out......... Maddison isn't a winger.

Playing your best players out of position is crap management.

Last edited:
He's going to be great for the shape of the team both in defence and attack. Did remarkably well tactically yesterday while barely having unpacked his bags.

Chelsea always looked much better when he was on, even if he missed sitter after sitter the team had better results. It's obvious he isn't a good finisher for a striker, but it won't matter if he underperforms slightly in that area if he keeps creating chances for himself and the rest of our team.

I'm gonna focus on his pressing, assists, and space-creation.

Will drive me up the wall if I attempt to fathom his shooting. :D
This.

Everyone should calibrate their expectations to him being crap in front of goal, apart from his first spell RB Leipzig he's been largely terrible at his shot conversion (stats show his 2n spell at RBL has improved but he wasn't selected so I think that speaks for its self).

BUT: His running (both on and off the ball) adds a huge amount towards how we play is what I'm here for. He turns the opp, pins back their FB but his is crucially able to go on the outside of oppo defence just as much as he can on the inside.

I really liked his performance, especially considering he's had what 1 o2 training sessions????!! The were a few cases where his instinct was to run behind defence yesterday when the player on the ball expected to play it short (so the pass to him was under-hit). I've just heard Skipp's post-match interview (very good interview BTW) and he made the comment about how he and Werner's understanding were on different wavelengths and gave the example of his pass (his pass to him went behind him because Werner made his run to the inside) to him that led to his assist for the goal.

We ARE going to have our head in our hands probably once a game as his skies a good change, this will get amplified by the click-bait media looking for clicks with rival fanbases, focus on whether we are a better team with him in it or not. I'm fairly sure we are......

Just look at these carries.

GD0sfvAa4AAhWDY

This.

Everyone should calibrate their expectations to him being crap in front of goal, apart from his first spell RB Leipzig he's been largely terrible at his shot conversion (stats show his 2n spell at RBL has improved but he wasn't selected so I think that speaks for its self).

BUT: His running (both on and off the ball) adds a huge amount towards how we play is what I'm here for. He turns the opp, pins back their FB but his is crucially able to go on the outside of oppo defence just as much as he can on the inside.

I really liked his performance, especially considering he's had what 1 o2 training sessions????!! The were a few cases where his instinct was to run behind defence yesterday when the player on the ball expected to play it short (so the pass to him was under-hit). I've just heard Skipp's post-match interview (very good interview BTW) and he made the comment about how he and Werner's understanding were on different wavelengths and gave the example of his pass (his pass to him went behind him because Werner made his run to the inside) to him that led to his assist for the goal.

We ARE going to have our head in our hands probably once a game as his skies a good change, this will get amplified by the click-bait media looking for clicks with rival fanbases, focus on whether we are a better team with him in it or not. I'm fairly sure we are......

Just look at these carries.

GD0sfvAa4AAhWDY
A decent parallell, which some have already brought up, is Darwin Nunez at Liverpool. People make fun of him for his finishing but he has to be a nightmare to face, just bullies the defenders and stretches the lines all game.
The era of players like J.Defoe playing as a lone striker mostly scoring goals is over. Now it's a front three for a lot of the top teams, and those three players have to be rather complete. Football is more "total" than ever and there's a clinging onto this idea of a forward's worth solely being their finishing ability.

A decent parallell, which some have already brought up, is Darwin Nunez at Liverpool. People make fun of him for his finishing but he has to be a nightmare to face, just bullies the defenders and stretches the lines all game.
The era of players like J.Defoe playing as a lone striker mostly scoring goals is over. Now it's a front three for a lot of the top teams, and those three players have to be rather complete. Football is more "total" than ever and there's a clinging onto this idea of a forward's worth solely being their finishing ability.
100% I've been banging the Nunez drum comparison since it was heavily rumoured we were interested. They are a different profile of player but the narratives surrounding them are or will be exactly the same. It's important to acknowledge that Nunez is appalling in front of goal + final pass and so too is Wener. BUT LFC are better with him in the team and I think we will be better with Werner in the team.

If Ange can sprinkle some magic dust on him and improve his finishing that would be a wonderful bonus but my expectation is fixed on the fact that he's crap in front of goal but despite this, he improves us by being in the side.

After watching the game, again, upgrading my assessment to, 'very good debut'.

Just gonna have to accept his massive margin of error with the shooting. 😅

If he can be consistent with everything else, we will have gotten a bargain for our system (if we buy).

Quick, great first touch, and a confident ball carrier. Looks to put a shift in defensively too. The rest will come, but for now with those qualities alone he'll be a very important player over the next six months.

An intelligent passer with some well weighted balls too. Easier said than done.

Ultimately when shooting, missing by a few inches or several yards both result in a goal kick. He seemed to have enough about his game to be part of our first choice forward line.

For the deal we got this looks to be an excellent acquisition.

Back
Top Bottom