Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have a tickling in my balls that tells me he will score the winner against city to dump them out of the FA cup. Make it so. Lottery numbers to follow…
On a serious note, I laughed at his finishing against United (a familiar laugh after his time with the west London nazis) but I genuinely think we will sign him permanently. His overall game is great. He works hard for the team and is very intelligent from listening to him in interview. Just don’t let him take penalties or free kicks when I’m in row Z. I ain’t trying to catch it as it sails out of the stadium. He’s a decent lad and fits the system the manager is building (imo). This could very easily be the most important Ange signing since Maddison.

On a serious note, I laughed at his finishing against United (a familiar laugh after his time with the west London nazis) but I genuinely think we will sign him permanently. His overall game is great. He works hard for the team and is very intelligent from listening to him in interview. Just don’t let him take penalties or free kicks when I’m in row Z. I ain’t trying to catch it as it sails out of the stadium. He’s a decent lad and fits the system the manager is building (imo). This could very easily be the most important Ange signing since Maddison.
I think we'll sign him too, allows us to immediately replace Gil as our LW depth and in the event it takes time finding a young gem on the left to come through and stake a place in our first team he is at least somewhat of a succession plan for Son, who could end up dropping off sooner than later at his age and his style of play. At the reported £13-16m option in his loan deal it feels like a no-lose situation, even if we got nothing for him at the end of his contract we'd still take less of a shower than we will on other players, Gil is actually a good example of one I can see us taking a >£13m loss on when we eventually find someone who actually wants to buy him rather than take him on loan.

I think we'll sign him too, allows us to immediately replace Gil as our LW depth and in the event it takes time finding a young gem on the left to come through and stake a place in our first team he is at least somewhat of a succession plan for Son, who could end up dropping off sooner than later at his age and his style of play. At the reported £13-16m option in his loan deal it feels like a no-lose situation, even if we got nothing for him at the end of his contract we'd still take less of a shower than we will on other players, Gil is actually a good example of one I can see us taking a >£13m loss on when we eventually find someone who actually wants to buy him rather than take him on loan.
If Ange can get Werner “on it” then we can sell Gil for almost fuck all and still be quids in.
I honestly think that in spite of his awful finishing on Sunday, Werner will chip in with a minimum 6 goals and similar/more assists. We will sign him permanently in June. Makes sense when you take off the chav tinted hate specs and watch what he contributes. Good business by the club.

If Ange can get Werner “on it” then we can sell Gil for almost fuck all and still be quids in.
I honestly think that in spite of his awful finishing on Sunday, Werner will chip in with a minimum 6 goals and similar/more assists. We will sign him permanently in June. Makes sense when you take off the chav tinted hate specs and watch what he contributes. Good business by the club.
If werner comes good, next season we can be rid of gil and then our forward options would be werner, sonny, richy, johnson, and nusa that can play all across the front with kulu able to play both RW and MF, solomon able to cover both wings, and veliz being a big tree in the middle too.

Thats some incredible depth with a lot of different profiles to change things up in game or against different opponents.

Werner is on £165,000 a week on his RBL contract.
Gil is on £40,000 a week.

Let's say from this point on they both had 4 years at Spurs, that's £7,920,000 in wages for Werner Vs £1,920,000 for Gil. Or £7m more.
Plus the £15m signing fee.
Plus the loss on Gil

All that aside, I'd much rather bring Werner off the bench on 60 minutes than Gil on 87 minutes.
But this may be irrelevant with this Antonio Nusa talk.

Werner is on £165,000 a week on his RBL contract.
Gil is on £40,000 a week.

Let's say from this point on they both had 4 years at Spurs, that's £7,920,000 in wages for Werner Vs £1,920,000 for Gil. Or £7m more.
Plus the £15m signing fee.
Plus the loss on Gil

All that aside, I'd much rather bring Werner off the bench on 60 minutes than Gil on 87 minutes.
But this may be irrelevant with this Antonio Nusa talk.

"Plus the loss on Gil" ?!?
How can you factor that in ? We will carry loss with him even if Werner wouldn't have ever been born.

This loss cannot be factored in it in any way. If we consider him as part of formula, then we can only look at it as cashflow-basis that we can change going forward. That is selling him or not selling him which can only have positive impact on cashflows. Purchase and it's price (against which we will get a loss) is fully irrelevant.

If we look at it from 4 years perspective, your calculations are correct AND we assume we get 0 EUR from selling Werner at the end of his term, his overall cost would be -
15 mGBP signing + 7,92 mGBP =22,92 mGBP

And if we sell Gil, positive impact from that would be
7 mGBP from selling + 1,92 mGBP from saved salary = 9,92 mGBP

Net impact to cashflows would be -13,92 mGBP to have better forward player for 4 years.

I think he's an excellent option to have on a 'try before you buy ' loan this season.

That gives us a chance to see what he could do over 19 games (2 of which he's played) - both goals/assists, pressing, linking up with Udogie and other players and everything else.

Hopefully he passes the test with flying colours, but if he doesn't ....... we can find someone else in summer.

And this season its useful to have an extra option to Son, Richarlison, Johnson . Kulusevski , Solomon and youngsters Veliz and Scarlett even if we sell Gil - nut we are not reliant on him performing.

I really hope he succeeds with us, and when he actually got the ball, which wasn't often, he ran at players and was willing to take them on. Given time, I think he will develop, and gel with the players around him.

Werner was crap tonight. Too scared to run down the wing.

Nah; no cunt was picking out his runs... Even at 33, playing up against Walker is no joke; but on a number of occasions he had KW wrong-footed and just needed to be played in early.

Last edited:
Nah; no cunt was picking out his runs... Even at 33 playing up against Walker is no joke; but on a number of occasions he had KW wrong-footed and just need to be played in early.
We should have started Madders. Even if he’s subbed at 35 minutes or whatever, his contributions set the tone for the rest of the game. When we let them dictate play and possession from the start, it frustrates the crowd and affects the players.

Back
Top Bottom