Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can there be more simple answer?!?
It is obvious that we should compare comparable things. EPL is one competition. It is consistent criteria. I could not care less that we did not lose in 2 tries to either of league two sides, hence making the loss percentage lower. And for consistency measure I clearly leave also out the one game he was in side against (once more, UNCOMPARABLE) League Two side.
They are just games of football, only three outcomes possible. Next you will be not including teams in relegation zone because they are shit. You're reaching and complicating by using an arbitrary matrix. (We drew against a league two side, figures include and reflect this).

They are just games of football, only three outcomes possible. Next you will be not including teams in relegation zone because they are shit. You're reaching and complicating by using an arbitrary matrix. (We drew against a league two side, figures include and reflect this).

Dude, I have no idea in what world you live.
I see no point to argue any further, in my world comparable things are comparable and Premier League oppositions are on quantitatively different level then League Two side. So let's just... can't suggest to "agree to disagree" (cause we just don't arrive at different outcome but our criterians and whole understanding is ... smth else)..

I see no point to argue any further, in my world comparable things are comparable and Premier League oppositions are on quantitatively different level then League Two side. So let's just... can't suggest to "agree to disagree" (cause we just don't arrive at different outcome but our criterians and whole understanding is ... smth else)..
Sure, but you are the one contesting it though. I'm merely defending my opinion which I will always do, unless I'm proven wrong.

Just to be clear, you’re arguing that league two matches should not count against his record because he is playing inferior quality?

Kane is always going to earn more than anyone else. Our salary structure includes all sorts of bonus payments for goals etc, and his image fights will be worth much more than Toby's (no matter how many sharp haircuts or tattoos Toby gets).

It's fair that Toby should try to negotiate the best deal he possibly can, but parity with Kane? Not going to happen.

You're mad if you expect a soon to be 29 year old defender to be paid the same money as the 24 year old club talisman who bangs in the most precious commodity in football, Goals at a record rate. Never going to happen.
Absolutely no chance in hell is Toby getting parity with Harry Kane in wages. Insane suggestion.

Okay, if we are talking about 300k per week, then I am not saying that he should have a salary parity. This "pay him whatever he wants" was clearly figurative and I do not think we should pay him 500k if he asks.
Also I don't contest about the bonuses (goal vs clean sheet or whatever). Assumption of this statement was that Harry's wage would remain under 200k per week (main salary; without bonuses). For assumption sake, let's say it is 175k EUR per week.

THEN I say it would be okay to match Toby salary for this. Why? -> well let me explain.

It might seem weird or counter-intuitive, but the thing is that we operate in the market. First we have to consider market information, because this is what players consider. Only AFTER that we can factor in our wage policy.

For argument's sake, lets agree that Kane could earn 300k EUR per week in Real or Bayern or ManU if you will.
Now Toby is one of very-very top defenders. If other clubs would come for him in the summer, the same clubs + PSG for example would easily offer him 250 k EUR per week. That means disparity would be 125 k per week for Kane and 75k per week for Toby.

Still in advance to other clubs. So Toby will have a decision to make - either to stay here for smth like 75k EUR per week (as some seems to suggest here?) or to leave for 250 k EUR per week. Those are his options, and which one would you choose if you were him? I am pretty sure it would be latter one. We all know we pay relatively lower wages in Spurs. But this gap has to remain at least somewhat reasonable. And yes, I agree, this might lead to paying also Dele and Eriksen the same wages soon. But that will be needed anyways, when players like Ozil and Pogba who are not better than our players reap in 300k+ per week.

If Toby is introduced back into the team pretty soon, do you think Sanchez will be dropped or will we revert to a back 3 like before with Sanchez playing in the middle of Toby and Yan?

Okay, if we are talking about 300k per week, then I am not saying that he should have a salary parity. This "pay him whatever he wants" was clearly figurative and I do not think we should pay him 500k if he asks.
Also I don't contest about the bonuses (goal vs clean sheet or whatever). Assumption of this statement was that Harry's wage would remain under 200k per week (main salary; without bonuses). For assumption sake, let's say it is 175k EUR per week.

THEN I say it would be okay to match Toby salary for this. Why? -> well let me explain.

It might seem weird or counter-intuitive, but the thing is that we operate in the market. First we have to consider market information, because this is what players consider. Only AFTER that we can factor in our wage policy.

For argument's sake, lets agree that Kane could earn 300k EUR per week in Real or Bayern or ManU if you will.
Now Toby is one of very-very top defenders. If other clubs would come for him in the summer, the same clubs + PSG for example would easily offer him 250 k EUR per week. That means disparity would be 125 k per week for Kane and 75k per week for Toby.

Still in advance to other clubs. So Toby will have a decision to make - either to stay here for smth like 75k EUR per week (as some seems to suggest here?) or to leave for 250 k EUR per week. Those are his options, and which one would you choose if you were him? I am pretty sure it would be latter one. We all know we pay relatively lower wages in Spurs. But this gap has to remain at least somewhat reasonable. And yes, I agree, this might lead to paying also Dele and Eriksen the same wages soon. But that will be needed anyways, when players like Ozil and Pogba who are not better than our players reap in 300k+ per week.

I know that there isn't much difference between the currencies nowadays, and without coming across as some sort of UKIP tosspot, but can we talk about our players being paid in GBP, you know, because that's what they get paid in.

Also worth noting that Levy is particularly creative with his contract offers, lots and lots of incentivised clauses and bonuses, and not just obvious ones like goals scored or clean sheets, but for reaching stages of competitions etc...

So comparing like for like in just wages per week alone will always be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom