Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watching it back, he made a signal while sitting down injured that could be interpreted as he felt it was a rupture, which would mean he'll be out for several months. Need Rodon and Sanchez to step up.

there's no need for wild speculation like that.

Does noone any good. wait for the official response then react.

Indeed. All these expert, armchair physios and diagnosticians on here crack me up sometimes. Bloody shame he's likely out the Chelsea game though
He made the signal, though; I saw it too. It doesn't mean he felt it right - let's wait until we have official news, as Fox said -, but I'm not confident. I said it in this thread a couple of days ago that I was worried about Toby. We found a way to have him at his best level, which is playing him as a RCB - and only once a week.

But he played against West Brom, then he played 3 Belgium matches and now City, less than 72 hours after the final NL game against Denmark. All this in the space of 13 days.

It happened.

:( His long passing has been so critical to our counterattacking game too. That’s one area I’ve read Rodon struggles with (great short passing game, not so much long) but PEH’s progressive passing has surprised me, so hopefully Rodon does it too! Assuming he’s the stand-in for Toby, as looks very likely now.

:( His long passing has been so critical to our counterattacking game too. That’s one area I’ve read Rodon struggles with (great short passing game, not so much long) but PEH’s progressive passing has surprised me, so hopefully Rodon does it too! Assuming he’s the stand-in for Toby, as looks very likely now.
100% this. Toby is our best defender, but he is BY FAR our best passing defender. His long balls are really an important part of our attack and will be desperately missed if he is out for a while, as will his overall solid defensive work. CB is a weak position for us so anybody acting like Toby being out is no big deal is way off base.

He made the signal, though; I saw it too. It doesn't mean he felt it right - let's wait until we have official news, as Fox said -, but I'm not confident. I said it in this thread a couple of days ago that I was worried about Toby. We found a way to have him at his best level, which is playing him as a RCB - and only once a week.

But he played against West Brom, then he played 3 Belgium matches and now City, less than 72 hours after the final NL game against Denmark. All this in the space of 13 days.

It happened.

Its the international games that annoy me. Completely unnecessary to play him for 90 minutes in all 3 games.

Groin injuries take ages. I don’t rate Sanchez and in the two Welsh lads we have one who might be good but with little experience and one that is a left back really and prefers left side of defence. I’d stick with Dier at left centrebacks and hope that Rondon fulfils his promise in the right position

The whole game is on the Spurs app at the momemt so you can go and watch it to see the gesture. It could also mean a pull I guess so hopefully that is what it is.
Was just taking the piss. But yes, hope it’s Jose putting the usual emphasis on Toby being an inch from death and only misses a couple of games. Probably needs to rest anyway.

Dier is showing signs of getting to grips with LCB, so I don't think he should be moved. That's Rodon's best position, so it would be a huge step to play him on the other side against Chelsea, with no previous PL starts.

Sanchez-Dier is an experienced PL combination, which we played against Utd, for example. This is our best option for now.

Its not really speculation though, toby put his fists together and pulled them apart in a breaking motion. He obviously thought it was very bad in the moment.

Jose already said in the post-match it's a bad one. Will be worth waiting for the official stance of the club but it's going to be a while before we see him again unfortunately I think. Shame as yesterday's performance was one of his best for a couple years.

Jose already said in the post-match it's a bad one. Will be worth waiting for the official stance of the club but it's going to be a while before we see him again unfortunately I think. Shame as yesterday's performance was one of his best for a couple years.

How our other CBs step up here could decide our fate this season. So frustrating as Toby has been brilliant and it's all because of pointless internationals and Martinez unnecesarily abusing his body playing him too much. Had Toby made it through the game yesterday I'm sure he'd have had a week off to rest as well, so incredibly frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom