Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man I wanna cry. I've loved our Belgian guys, great men and brilliant footballers. Thank you Toby and wish you well wherever you are and whatever you do.
When you think about it... the Belgian squad has mirrored ours....
A 'Golden Generation' over 3-4 years, full of SO much promise, but ultimately, nothing to show for it (by way of trophies) other than missed opportunities and 'what could've been'

I'm not sure he's better than Ledley.

Ledley had everything Toby had plus more. He had the recovery pace that Toby didn't.

Also ledley played as left CB most of his career and never looked out of place because he could use both feet. Toby looked awkward when he played LCB for us.

My order of recent CBs would be :
1. King
2. Jan
3. Toby
4. Dawson
5. Woodgate (could be 4th but didn't play enough for us)
He wasn't better than Ledley but he played in a much better team. Them Belgians were top draw, that they won nothing is a crime.

Imagine Campbell hadn't been a cunt, and stayed around long enough to properly partner Ledley....?

It's just NEVER meant to be our time is it?

Jan/Toby was as good a CD partnership as we've had since Mabbutt/Gough.... and Roberts/Miller before them.... just a shame they didn't get to win a trophy to show for it.

ctul8t2h1rd71.jpg

On the one hand. Awwww.

On the other. This is missing Nazer Chadli to complete the set.

WORST moment to start chopping onions!!!!
Thanks for the memories Tobes :tobyarm:

JAN JAN,...JAN, JAN JAN JAN.... JAN ,JAN JAN JAN... JAN JAN, JAN VER-TONG-HEN
TOBY... TOBY TOBY... TOBY TOBY... TOBY AL-DERWEI-RELD....
Loved singing that song. Took me ages to say his name properly, and he leaves just as I get it right! :)

IMO this was the greatest game he ever played for us, we lost but he kept it from becoming a cricket score.

Toby's biggest and most notable decline has been in his 1v1 defending. During his peak 15/16 & 16/17 seasons (when I think he was the best CB in the league and by proxy one of the best in the World) his 1v1 defending couldn't be bettered, he was immaculate, rarely ever went to ground and often won the ball cleanly. Compare that to him now and he's just a block defender with his arms behind his back looking to block a shot rather than show a player out wide (or away from a dangerous area) or as he so often did in these two seasons win the ball cleanly without having to make a last-ditch tackle of relying on getting a block in, players up against him really got their shots off.

When you think about it... the Belgian squad has mirrored ours....
A 'Golden Generation' over 3-4 years, full of SO much promise, but ultimately, nothing to show for it (by way of trophies) other than missed opportunities and 'what could've been'

And exactly this can happen for various reasons.

The single biggest difference is solely that players cannot change nations.

Solid, reliable, dependable, skillful, a great clogger of the ball, aware & astute, excellent timing of a tackle, more often than not a brick wall that attackers found impenetrable - and a really decent human being.

But that's enough about me. ByeToby.

Back
Top Bottom