Tommy Carroll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What do you mean by Tiny Dancer. Your not an Elton John fan by any chance are you

Tiny Dancer: Looks great on the ball, makes you ooh and ahh but nothing ever comes of it. EG: Townsend...Taking almost 60 shots and not scoring from any of them, not getting any assists by mid April in the prem. But fark me does he look good on the ball!

Lennon 1 goal and 2 assists in the prem is diabolical. Then if you overload the team with tiny dancers like AVB did (Defoe, Lamela, Townsend, Holtby, Eriksen, Rose, Naughton etc) the GOOD players like Eriksen and Holtby can get dragged down and we are a lightweight mess.

Take our last game. The tiny dancers on the left flanks got proper fucked in the first half. CLASSIC soft Spurs when on paper, WBA's entire team probably didn't cost much more that Eriksens current value. Basically that game was soft Spurs tiny dancers incarnate: It cost us 2 points, and that was the last chance of anything satisfying happening this season because we would have been 2 points behind the scum. Just like Danny rose stood on the ball in no mans land vs the scum in the cup, the tiny dancers will cost you. Most of them need to go. Lamela, Holtby and Eriksen need to be kept. And even then if you play all 3, you risk the curse of soft Spurs.

Last edited:
This is why I want Carles Puyol.

Hell yeah. Born leader but they will bury that glorious bastard in a Braca coffin. I just googled him to see how old he was and come across his recent statement.

"Barcelona's players are behind coach Gerardo Martino "to the death"

Gave me chills, haha.

Hell yeah. Born leader but they will bury that glorious bastard in a Braca coffin. I just googled him to see how old he was and come across his recent statement.

"Barcelona's players are behind coach Gerardo Martino "to the death"

Gave me chills, haha.
He's announced he's leaving at the end of the year, pal. Get him in, even if for a single year. The knowledge he'd give to Vlad and Jan (if still here) would be huge.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...arroll-i-wish-he-was-missing-from-our-midfie/

'Someone please, please enlighten me as to why he is so highly regarded by Redknapp? One of the most infuriating players of the season. Absolutely no physical presence, no vision on the ball and an embarrassing reluctance to get stuck in. At times it's like watching a 12 year-old run around aimlessly in the centre of the pitch. One moment yesterday summed him up: receives the ball in a decent position on the left flank and then slices it into the stand like a Sunday League player. He is just shocking. Start him in the play-offs and we'll just get overrun in midfield. What on earth does the old toad see in him? Could it be a dodgy 'arrangement' with Spurs I wonder? I just can't understand how he is the first name on the team sheet every week.'

'What is most irritating about him, other than the constant misplaced passes, is his habit of slowing every attacking move down. There was one moment yesterday in the second half when he received the ball in space on the right-hand side with Austin and Morrison charging forward. What did he do? Yep, turned round and passed it sideways...'

'I know exact time your talking about I went berserk. Two options of putting the ball over the top and it was two on one but he played safe and that's his problem. He also has an uncanny nack of letting players run straight past him without making any real effort to stay with them.'

'The weakest link in the team is Dunne and Carroll. Get rid of them an we'll be solid.'

'nail on the head! this is what frustrates me most about the lad. Even when he has room to run forward with the ball, he's always turning and looking for the pass.'

'I wish he was missing from our midfield Tim!

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...arroll-i-wish-he-was-missing-from-our-midfie/

'Someone please, please enlighten me as to why he is so highly regarded by Redknapp? One of the most infuriating players of the season. Absolutely no physical presence, no vision on the ball and an embarrassing reluctance to get stuck in. At times it's like watching a 12 year-old run around aimlessly in the centre of the pitch. One moment yesterday summed him up: receives the ball in a decent position on the left flank and then slices it into the stand like a Sunday League player. He is just shocking. Start him in the play-offs and we'll just get overrun in midfield. What on earth does the old toad see in him? Could it be a dodgy 'arrangement' with Spurs I wonder? I just can't understand how he is the first name on the team sheet every week.'

'What is most irritating about him, other than the constant misplaced passes, is his habit of slowing every attacking move down. There was one moment yesterday in the second half when he received the ball in space on the right-hand side with Austin and Morrison charging forward. What did he do? Yep, turned round and passed it sideways...'

'I know exact time your talking about I went berserk. Two options of putting the ball over the top and it was two on one but he played safe and that's his problem. He also has an uncanny nack of letting players run straight past him without making any real effort to stay with them.'

'The weakest link in the team is Dunne and Carroll. Get rid of them an we'll be solid.'

'nail on the head! this is what frustrates me most about the lad. Even when he has room to run forward with the ball, he's always turning and looking for the pass.'

That's a shame to see as I was hoping he would impress and push on there. Although if I'm completely honest it doesn't really surprise me. If my memory serves me correctly he came into a few Europa league and a couple of prem games when we were playing like shit and started hitting some good passes around the park and being positive with the ball but to my eyes it was obvious that he was a long way off prem standard, would be great if he could get a prem loan move though next year

That corresponds so much with the reviews from loan at Derby

Gotta trust ole Gibbsy. Curse of the tiny dancers strikes again.

The scary thing is Tim thinks he can be our Modric and Rose can be our Ashley Cole. I have a slab on my chest and it won't be removed until Tim is out of this position. (manager, not squatting on my chest)

Half decent article on Carroll's season at QPR

Harry Redknapp moved to reunite with Tom at the end of the Summer transfer window, a move of which excited Rangers fans following his recent performances for the England U21's. It was strange that Redknapp made the move for the youngster, with only 7 first team games for Spurs under his belt, he was often loaned out and Harry has certainly continued in that way this season, loaning out QPR's promising youngsters across the leagues and bringing in baffling loans of his own in Maiga and Keane when he had young and hungry players right under his nose..

He made a promising debut in a scrappy 1-0 victory over Birmingham in September and cemented his place in the side throughout the month, only for injury to put a stop to his run of games. He returned to the side in early December with a place on the bench away at Doncaster, but forced his way back into the first eleven for the next home game against Bournemouth and it was clear he had been missed, pulling the strings in an excellent 3-0 win. He was outstanding again in the next game against Blackburn in a man of the match performance. He was once again a regular starter, breaking only for an FA Cup tie at Everton where Spurs refused him permission to play.

With injuries to Faurlin, Phillips and Austin, the team was becoming unsettled and form was beginning to suffer. Unfortunately, Tom was becoming the target for the Rangers boo boys. Despite this, Redknapp kept the faith and he kept his place throughout the month of February, which concluded with our worst performance of the season away at Charlton.

By this time, Rangers had clinched the signing of Ravel Morrison on loan from West Ham and with Charlie Austin still out injured, it was clear that Redknapp was moulding the team around the gifted youngster. Unfortunately, it was Carroll who made way to cater for him and Tom was restricted to making appearances from the bench.

He returned to the starting eleven as Rangers got a corner turning result away at Middlesbrough. His chance was taken once more and he was outstanding in a 1-0 win over Wigan at Loftus Road in a midweek match. He was disappointing, as were the whole team in defeat away at Blackburn but the R's responded, Carroll and all, with a 5-2 win over Forest the following Saturday. As Rangers pushed for their play-off place, Carroll remained in the starting line-up against Watford and Millwall.

Tom was an unused sub in the final game against Barnsley where Redknapp played a very weakened team ahead of the Play off Semi Final against Wigan. He was again, on the bench but not required in the first leg draw at the DW and that was the final time he was selected for the R's as victory over Wigan, saw us through to Wembley to beat Derby on our way back to the Premier League. Rightly so, Tom was on the pitch with the rest of the squad during their celebrations.

Tom made 23 appearances for Rangers in their promotion winning season. As mentioned, he divided the Rangers support somewhat and just before the play off final, I conducted a poll on the popular QPR Till I Die facebook page and below are a varied range of responses;

Good: Never stops working, always available for the ball, plays first time, keeps things ticking over, wins possession a lot but without having to commit to challenges, good screening and pressing. Bad: Light weight, can be muscled off the ball, poor long passing, poor shot, instinctively conservative. Overall: Will look good in a good team, bad in a bad team.

I thought he did ok but his game needs general improvement. Playing in midfield, he is not the typical type too aggressively boss that area of the pitch, so he seems to reply on his creativity to pull the strings and try and get players fed between the lines. The slightly worrying thing is, with that part of his game he seems too often panic on the ball, with off stray passes and his final ball. I think he can become a fine player but needs to be able to read the game better, finding himself more space to be able to play forward and pick out the pass. He actually reminds me of Joe Allen a few years back with the same ability and body build. I think he needs a lot more games and I don't see him breaking into the Spurs squad next year.

He needs to work on bulking up and been able to compete more in the centre of midfield.

He's a decent player at best for us. He had moment of brilliance but would follow-up with playing like the younger inexperienced player he is. He might have caps for youth but he is far too inconsistent to see full-time minutes. He gave the ball up to cheaply and played too fast for his own good. With more time and loans he can gain the experience he needs to find himself. He tries to do too much at time but when it works, he's great. Just needs to figure out what type of player he will be. The biggest positives are his movements off the ball as he's a smart player and efficient with his work rate. Just goes too fast again for his own good. 5/10 for me all year.

Tonnes of potential, needs to beef up some

Not suited to the hustle and bustle of championship football, given time and space on the ball he can murder opponents with killer pass... Has the skill and footballing brain, needs to work on his physicality, potential still the byword!!!

Always makes himself available for the ball for the most part distributes well. His build doesn't really matter as he is a ball playing midfielder not defensive that seemed to get him a bit of stick this year even from me until I was made aware of his ability.

I would think he's gained a great deal from us this season and believe he will go on to have a good career where depends on the rest of his development.

You can see he does have a football brain & looks to make the right pass, as others have said he is too lightweight for the championship & more than often got muscled off the ball...this did lead to other teams picking on him to break down our play.

he is lightweight but does give 100% at all times and even when things are not going his way he keeps going.

Personally, I liked Tom Carroll. I do think the Championship was a bit physical for him at times but most of our better performances in the League were with Tom involved. Yes, he did have bad games as well as good, but the thing I liked the most about him, is that he DID NOT ONCE HIDE. Good game or bad game, he always showed himself and was always looking for the ball and was very positive going forward.

To continue his development, I think he does need to play on a regular basis, join a new gym and maybe visit Burger King every once in a while.

A star in the making, without a doubt...
Bobo, Yesterday at 22:03
Quote & Reply

Source
http://tottenhamlive.com/threads/tom-carroll-2013-14-scout-report-by-a-qpr-fan.67/

I have always been a massive TC fan, But for the first time ever, I,m thinking would he improve with us back at The Lane. In terms of game time. I would not sell him just yet, but this time round I,d like to see him go to Sunderland under Poyet. I think he would be great for Carroll.

Harry Redknapp moved to reunite with Tom at the end of the Summer transfer window, a move of which excited Rangers fans following his recent performances for the England U21's. It was strange that Redknapp made the move for the youngster, with only 7 first team games for Spurs under his belt, he was often loaned out and Harry has certainly continued in that way this season, loaning out QPR's promising youngsters across the leagues and bringing in baffling loans of his own in Maiga and Keane when he had young and hungry players right under his nose..

He made a promising debut in a scrappy 1-0 victory over Birmingham in September and cemented his place in the side throughout the month, only for injury to put a stop to his run of games. He returned to the side in early December with a place on the bench away at Doncaster, but forced his way back into the first eleven for the next home game against Bournemouth and it was clear he had been missed, pulling the strings in an excellent 3-0 win. He was outstanding again in the next game against Blackburn in a man of the match performance. He was once again a regular starter, breaking only for an FA Cup tie at Everton where Spurs refused him permission to play.

With injuries to Faurlin, Phillips and Austin, the team was becoming unsettled and form was beginning to suffer. Unfortunately, Tom was becoming the target for the Rangers boo boys. Despite this, Redknapp kept the faith and he kept his place throughout the month of February, which concluded with our worst performance of the season away at Charlton.

By this time, Rangers had clinched the signing of Ravel Morrison on loan from West Ham and with Charlie Austin still out injured, it was clear that Redknapp was moulding the team around the gifted youngster. Unfortunately, it was Carroll who made way to cater for him and Tom was restricted to making appearances from the bench.

He returned to the starting eleven as Rangers got a corner turning result away at Middlesbrough. His chance was taken once more and he was outstanding in a 1-0 win over Wigan at Loftus Road in a midweek match. He was disappointing, as were the whole team in defeat away at Blackburn but the R's responded, Carroll and all, with a 5-2 win over Forest the following Saturday. As Rangers pushed for their play-off place, Carroll remained in the starting line-up against Watford and Millwall.

Tom was an unused sub in the final game against Barnsley where Redknapp played a very weakened team ahead of the Play off Semi Final against Wigan. He was again, on the bench but not required in the first leg draw at the DW and that was the final time he was selected for the R's as victory over Wigan, saw us through to Wembley to beat Derby on our way back to the Premier League. Rightly so, Tom was on the pitch with the rest of the squad during their celebrations.

Tom made 23 appearances for Rangers in their promotion winning season. As mentioned, he divided the Rangers support somewhat and just before the play off final, I conducted a poll on the popular QPR Till I Die facebook page and below are a varied range of responses;

Good: Never stops working, always available for the ball, plays first time, keeps things ticking over, wins possession a lot but without having to commit to challenges, good screening and pressing. Bad: Light weight, can be muscled off the ball, poor long passing, poor shot, instinctively conservative. Overall: Will look good in a good team, bad in a bad team.

I thought he did ok but his game needs general improvement. Playing in midfield, he is not the typical type too aggressively boss that area of the pitch, so he seems to reply on his creativity to pull the strings and try and get players fed between the lines. The slightly worrying thing is, with that part of his game he seems too often panic on the ball, with off stray passes and his final ball. I think he can become a fine player but needs to be able to read the game better, finding himself more space to be able to play forward and pick out the pass. He actually reminds me of Joe Allen a few years back with the same ability and body build. I think he needs a lot more games and I don't see him breaking into the Spurs squad next year.

He needs to work on bulking up and been able to compete more in the centre of midfield.

He's a decent player at best for us. He had moment of brilliance but would follow-up with playing like the younger inexperienced player he is. He might have caps for youth but he is far too inconsistent to see full-time minutes. He gave the ball up to cheaply and played too fast for his own good. With more time and loans he can gain the experience he needs to find himself. He tries to do too much at time but when it works, he's great. Just needs to figure out what type of player he will be. The biggest positives are his movements off the ball as he's a smart player and efficient with his work rate. Just goes too fast again for his own good. 5/10 for me all year.

Not suited to the hustle and bustle of championship football, given time and space on the ball he can murder opponents with killer pass... Has the skill and footballing brain, needs to work on his physicality, potential still the byword!!!

Always makes himself available for the ball for the most part distributes well. His build doesn't really matter as he is a ball playing midfielder not defensive that seemed to get him a bit of stick this year even from me until I was made aware of his ability.

I would think he's gained a great deal from us this season and believe he will go on to have a good career where depends on the rest of his development.

You can see he does have a football brain & looks to make the right pass, as others have said he is too lightweight for the championship & more than often got muscled off the ball...this did lead to other teams picking on him to break down our play.

he is lightweight but does give 100% at all times and even when things are not going his way he keeps going.

Personally, I liked Tom Carroll. I do think the Championship was a bit physical for him at times but most of our better performances in the League were with Tom involved. Yes, he did have bad games as well as good, but the thing I liked the most about him, is that he DID NOT ONCE HIDE. Good game or bad game, he always showed himself and was always looking for the ball and was very positive going forward.

To continue his development, I think he does need to play on a regular basis, join a new gym and maybe visit Burger King every once in a while.

Quote & Reply

Source
http://tottenhamlive.com/threads/tom-carroll-2013-14-scout-report-by-a-qpr-fan.67/

Quote & Reply

Source

Cheers for that. Whether it was BS or not, I can't help ruing that we didn't push him towards Ajax.

I really hope we keep him and loan out Bentalab to a prem side.

He shouldn't be a starter in the league but I think its worth him being first name on the team sheet for Europa.

If he's not progressed by this time next year then by all means part ways but for now I certainly think he warrants another year with us and not out on loan.

I really hope we keep him and loan out Bentalab

Bentaleb IMO would put Carrolls dick in the dirt in practically every aspect of the game. INCLUDING passing, assists and scoring

The rest of the game (heading, tackles, tracking, physical) its not even a question on how much Bentaleb would dominate him.

Sherwood took Benty...Who has been an AM. And put him as a general midfielder IN THE PREM with DM duties and he held his own. Imagine if he was actually played as an AM, his natural position?

IMO Carroll is soft Spurs classy incarnate. He got ragdolled in a lower league. You would be hard pressed to find a player QPR fans rated lower than him. Everyone is waiting for the next classy passer but the game is too fast these days. Hoddle, Gazza etc scored with passes. Carroll would take 30 seasons to match Hoddles time with Spurs esp in this climate of dull but Olympic training spoiling athletes cutting out passes in mid table teams.

Bentaleb IMO is the future. Not Carroll. Bentaleb is the stampy, frustrated, physical freak that modern football needs. Carroll era tappy tappy pretty football where the defenders can pass the ball back to the keeper (so he can grab and hold it for 60 seconds) so the rest of the frilly players can get their lungs back was when Spurs DOMINATED>

The game has moved on. The Tottenham Way era, where we won proper trophies coincided with players who smoked, drunk like fish and had goalies who could get passed back to and hold on to the ball until champagne charlies stitch went away just before a cup of tea at half time.

Last edited:
Bentaleb IMO would put Carrolls dick in the dirt in practically every aspect of the game. INCLUDING passing, assists and scoring

The rest of the game (heading, tackles, tracking, physical) its not even a question on how much Bentaleb would dominate him.

Sherwood took Benty...Who has been an AM. And put him as a general midfielder IN THE PREM with DM duties and he held his own. Imagine if he was actually played as an AM, his natural position?

IMO Carroll is soft Spurs classy incarnate. He got ragdolled in a lower league. You would be hard pressed to find a player QPR fans rated lower than him. Everyone is waiting for the next classy passer but the game is too fast these days. Hoddle, Gazza etc scored with passes. Carroll would take 30 seasons to match Hoddles time with Spurs esp in this climate of dull but Olympic training spoiling athletes cutting out passes in mid table teams.

Bentaleb IMO is the future. Not Carroll. Bentaleb is the stampy, frustrated, physical freak that modern football needs. Carroll era tappy tappy pretty football where the defenders can pass the ball back to the keeper (so he can grab and hold it for 60 seconds) so the rest of the frilly players can get their lungs back was when Spurs DOMINATED>

The game has moved on. The Tottenham Way era, where we won proper trophies coincided with players who smoked, drunk like fish and had goalies who could get passed back to and hold on to the ball until champagne charlies stitch went away just before a cup of tea at half time.

What are you on about? Seriously, what point are you trying to make? You aren't offering any kind of sensible opinions whatsoever. "Bentaleb is stampy, frustrated...psychical freak" - what?

You sound like Tony Pulis. Big and broad, hit 'em hard. There's no place in modern football for 'tippy tappy' passers of the ball? Modric, Xavi, Iniesta, Borja Valero, Lahm, Valbuena, Pirlo, Cabella - I needn't go on.

"Carroll era...ball back to keeper to hold for 60 seconds" - that's not Carroll's era mate.

I agree with you in principal - I think Bentaleb has made more of an impact than Carroll in a very short space of time, but your comparisons and examples are just completely farfetched.

Quote & Reply

Source

Good article. Nice to see that he persevered through a pretty tough season, and showed enough character at a young age that the manager thought he could handle it.

What are you on about? Seriously, what point are you trying to make? You aren't offering any kind of sensible opinions whatsoever. "Bentaleb is stampy, frustrated...psychical freak" - what?

You sound like Tony Pulis. Big and broad, hit 'em hard. There's no place in modern football for 'tippy tappy' passers of the ball? Modric, Xavi, Iniesta, Borja Valero, Lahm, Valbuena, Pirlo, Cabella - I needn't go on.

"Carroll era...ball back to keeper to hold for 60 seconds" - that's not Carroll's era mate.

I agree with you in principal - I think Bentaleb has made more of an impact than Carroll in a very short space of time, but your comparisons and examples are just completely farfetched.

I'm saying he's a luxury player with no end product and the reason Spurs fans overate him is rooted in the Tottenham way.

All in my opinion of course! I am claiming the game has moved on and so should our affinity for the huddlestones and Carroll's.

There's no place in modern football for 'tippy tappy' passers of the ball? Modric, Xavi, Iniesta, Borja Valero, Lahm, Valbuena, Pirlo, Cabella - I needn't go on.

I find it interesting (apart from Carroll being in the same sentence as these players is ridiculous and Sherwoodesque) that all of the players you list won things in different leagues.

We had more prem points after moving Modric on...

Don't be so sure that a team with Pirlo in it would dominate the prem. It's a different kettle of fish.

I'm saying he's a luxury player with no end product and the reason Spurs fans overate him is rooted in the Tottenham way.

All in my opinion of course! I am claiming the game has moved on and so should our affinity for the huddlestones and Carroll's.
You keep going on about this 'Tottenham Way', as if to suggest we all hark back to the 60's and think we compare those players with todays. Rubbish. People rate Carroll because he has shown glimpses of real ability and being one of our own, he will always have a good backing from fans (and so he should).
Personally I don't think the boy is ever gonna make it at Spurs, but that has nothing to do with people comparing him with Danny Blanchflower.

I find it interesting (apart from Carroll being in the same sentence as these players is ridiculous and Sherwoodesque) that all of the players you list won things in different leagues.
You have condemned your own point. You said there is no room for 'tippy tappy' players - I listed them - and now you say they have all won things in different leagues. So there is a place then? Or isn't there? Or are they passengers in their respective teams as they lump it up to a big man up top?

We had more prem points after moving Modric on...
So what? Modric is shit then? He was regarded as the pivotal midfielder for the current European Champions. It's not that black and white. Do you even read your own comments?

Back
Top Bottom