Tonight has really opened my eyes to the issues we face.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like watching an abject Palace get thumped by us 4-0 or us pumping Red Star twice (5-0 & 0-4)!

It's exactly the same mate. Jose's first games were like playing against a shit Palace and an Oblidging Red Star. Nothing has changed other than we are actually conceding more goals in the comparative games we were keeping clean sheets.

You don’t like José and you don’t want him here

I get it but I think we’re lucky to have him

Agree to disagree mate but you’ll get certain posters blaming anything that goes wrong on the 2018 transfer window including José getting knocked over during the game
🙄

Okay I'm willing to show my lack of knowledge here. How do you print Mourinho's first name so that it includes the acute accent please. :thumbdown:

Makes a change you asking me something like that 😉

But I have an iPhone 6 so when I type in Jos
The spell checker thingy gives me the Jose or José option

Great stream last night btw
Shame about the result but still on a high

Jos
Makes a change you asking me something like that 😉

But I have an iPhone 6 so when I type in Jos
The spell checker thingy gives me the Jose or José option

Great stream last night btw
Shame about the result but still on a high
Yep, I get that on my mobile too but how do I do it on a PC keyboard :thumbdown: Grrrrr. Glad you had a good stream, I watched via Swift Stream Live TV | Sports,News,Entertainments :: and it never buffered once.... Bein sports 11.

You don’t like José and you don’t want him here

I get it but I think we’re lucky to have him

Agree to disagree mate but you’ll get certain posters blaming anything that goes wrong on the 2018 transfer window including José getting knocked over during the game
🙄
I don't get where your response has come from Baz.

We aren't playing any differently than we were under Poch. He has us set up more or less the same, picking the same players. Jose's first three games have been against a woeful West Ham (who look like they might finally get relegated this season), Bournemouth and Olympiacos all three of these games we were at various stages crap and were lucky to come away with wins. I made reference to three games of Poch's where we played against abject teams also and won but didn't concede.

This observation has no bearing whatsoever on either Poch or Jose. Just stating that we are not night and day different. We are just as shit, last night showed this. Had Poch been in charge last night we would have also lost and done so in the same meek fashion.

Jos

Yep, I get that on my mobile too but how do I do it on a PC keyboard :thumbdown: Grrrrr. Glad you had a good stream, I watched via Swift Stream Live TV | Sports,News,Entertainments :: and it never buffered once.... Bein sports 11.

I found it Eureka Hold down the alt button and press 0233 on the numeric key pad (not the one on the top row)
List of all characters here

I don't get where your response has come from Baz.

We aren't playing any differently than we were under Poch. He has us set up more or less the same, picking the same players. Jose's first three games have been against a woeful West Ham (who look like they might finally get relegated this season), Bournemouth and Olympiacos all three of these games we were at various stages crap and were lucky to come away with wins. I made reference to three games of Poch's where we played against abject teams also and won but didn't concede.

This observation has no bearing whatsoever on either Poch or Jose. Just stating that we are not night and day different. We are just as shit, last night showed this. Had Poch been in charge last night we would have also lost and done so in the same meek fashion.

Ok but I’ve watched all games under José and think we’re a lot better

That lack of intensity in the players was a criticism of them towards the end of the Pochettino era, how do you fix that?

"Working, which I'm not doing a lot of that work. You cannot work on intensity when you are permanently playing matchers every two to three days. You can work on other things, you can work on principles of play, you work on tactical positioning, but intensity, aggression is something you cannot work on."

"How can I work on these items of the game when I have to play Saturday again? I just can't do it. So it's has to be in time and try to influence the profile of the players and their concentration levels too, because today the throw-in is a total lack of concentration too. The team only reacted after Rashford had the ball and after he started facing the first defending. That was when we started reacting and before that is why we were not there.

"We need to work on concentration levels but the players are fantastic. Very good players, very good professionals. They want and they will."

That lack of intensity in the players was a criticism of them towards the end of the Pochettino era, how do you fix that?

"Working, which I'm not doing a lot of that work. You cannot work on intensity when you are permanently playing matchers every two to three days. You can work on other things, you can work on principles of play, you work on tactical positioning, but intensity, aggression is something you cannot work on."

"How can I work on these items of the game when I have to play Saturday again? I just can't do it. So it's has to be in time and try to influence the profile of the players and their concentration levels too, because today the throw-in is a total lack of concentration too. The team only reacted after Rashford had the ball and after he started facing the first defending. That was when we started reacting and before that is why we were not there.

"We need to work on concentration levels but the players are fantastic. Very good players, very good professionals. They want and they will."

:avbshit:

Might not sit well with Dan.

Jose has been brought in to:
Poch's sacking statement: “We have a talented squad. We need to re-energise and look to deliver a positive season for our supporters.”
Jose's announcement statement: "We believe he will bring energy and belief to the dressing room.”

We played with a lot more intensity and belief or so it seemed
Our most complete performance this season was against Palace, everyone including the players was buzzing after it. Sonny saying "this is us" this is how we play".

It was better (because it was totally dominant from start to finish). In every game under Jose we've had periods where we were shite. Olympiacos we were 0-2 down after 20mins, should have been more than that. Against West Ham just look at their 'keeper on every one of our goals, then look at the last 15mins, we were much the better side in this game but had Fabianski been between the sticks I doubt we would have scored.

Bournemouth started much better than us and was it not for a last-ditch tackle by Vertonghen we would have drawn that game.

All three of Jose's winning games were not as good as the two Red Star and Palace games. It felt good as the wins were on the bounce, the clouds had lifted around the club and there was a positive vibe, all great. But don't kid yourself that those three games were any better than those that I have just mentioned, they categorically were not.

I'm not trying to play one off against the other here, just pointing out to those that were all bouncey bouncey that they need to calm down, let the reality bite. The job in hand is going to be painful, we are in for a rough time and that installing Jose isn't the pill to end our issues. The issues are still there, the team and the tactics are exactly the same and the performances are the same.

Maybe the against Bournemouth, West Ham and Olympiacos we would have drawn all of these under Poch???? That's fair assumption given the over the trajectory of the team under him and having a new manager and one with such a huge personality in it was the difference that prevented them from being drawn. But last night might serve as a reminder that things look all too familiar.

That’s good to hear Mou be so open about how badly we started the second half. Exactly like the CL final we got too excited and didn’t do the basics properly. You should never concede a goal from the first action after the whistle.

A team in our situation can’t be expected to play well every week but with more attention to detail we could have won yesterday even with a poor performance. We have to stop giving away freebies because it isn’t always possible to score 3 goals a game. Chelsea, Liverpool and Leicester only scored a combined 1 goal in their games at Old Trafford this season. We have to focus on what we do in our half when we don’t have the ball, our attack takes care of itself.

I have been saying this for the last year or so needed to invest more - not after one game - we either need to invest wisely like Leicester have and buy good young talent, or work out a way to buy quality players to improve the squad which I believe we may not be able to afford with the debt that occurred from building the new stadium. Our squad was full of talent a season or two ago, but age, a lack of business in s few transfer windows, player attitude and injuries have all caught up with the team.

I don't question the need to invest or some issues we have in the squad.
All that is very much true.

But my points were -
- if Leicester could do it, we can as well
- not everything is doom and gloom, right now some things seem off, but few correct purchases could make massive difference

P.S leave the financial thinking ("not be able to afford with the debt that occurred from building the new stadium") to numbers ppl. The way it was run, financed and refinanced means that our annual debt service ended up in region of 25 mEUR i think (i might be off by 10ish mil, but in grand scheme of things it does not change much).
- this is kind of money we could get from shirt sponsor basically
- not to mention that our stadium capacity grew from 36k to 60k, considering higher proportion of the VIP rooms, lounges etc the revenue impact will be even larger
- plus we'll host NFL and other events that brings extra money
- plus there should still be naming rights deal made at some point

So this is nowhere near being a rock that would pull us to the bottom of the sea. This construction will in fact increase our cash flow and spending power. Smth that was already proven by past summer window and de facto expenditure of ~160 mEUR.

I don't question the need to invest or some issues we have in the squad.
All that is very much true.

But my points were -
- if Leicester could do it, we can as well
- not everything is doom and gloom, right now some things seem off, but few correct purchases could make massive difference

P.S leave the financial thinking ("not be able to afford with the debt that occurred from building the new stadium") to numbers ppl. The way it was run, financed and refinanced means that our annual debt service ended up in region of 25 mEUR i think (i might be off by 10ish mil, but in grand scheme of things it does not change much).
- this is kind of money we could get from shirt sponsor basically
- not to mention that our stadium capacity grew from 36k to 60k, considering higher proportion of the VIP rooms, lounges etc the revenue impact will be even larger
- plus we'll host NFL and other events that brings extra money
- plus there should still be naming rights deal made at some point

So this is nowhere near being a rock that would pull us to the bottom of the sea. This construction will in fact increase our cash flow and spending power. Smth that was already proven by past summer window and de facto expenditure of ~160 mEUR.

We were able to spend so big in the summer because of our CL run which earned us around 100 mill in total. We spent about 120 in the summer not 160 because we didn't buy Lo Celso we loaned him for 15 mill with the rest payable in 2020

So we didn't really take any more risks with our summer expenditure than we normally do.

Our most complete performance this season was against Palace, everyone including the players was buzzing after it. Sonny saying "this is us" this is how we play".

It was better (because it was totally dominant from start to finish). In every game under Jose we've had periods where we were shite. Olympiacos we were 0-2 down after 20mins, should have been more than that. Against West Ham just look at their 'keeper on every one of our goals, then look at the last 15mins, we were much the better side in this game but had Fabianski been between the sticks I doubt we would have scored.

Bournemouth started much better than us and was it not for a last-ditch tackle by Vertonghen we would have drawn that game.

All three of Jose's winning games were not as good as the two Red Star and Palace games. It felt good as the wins were on the bounce, the clouds had lifted around the club and there was a positive vibe, all great. But don't kid yourself that those three games were any better than those that I have just mentioned, they categorically were not.

I'm not trying to play one off against the other here, just pointing out to those that were all bouncey bouncey that they need to calm down, let the reality bite. The job in hand is going to be painful, we are in for a rough time and that installing Jose isn't the pill to end our issues. The issues are still there, the team and the tactics are exactly the same and the performances are the same.

Maybe the against Bournemouth, West Ham and Olympiacos we would have drawn all of these under Poch???? That's fair assumption given the over the trajectory of the team under him and having a new manager and one with such a huge personality in it was the difference that prevented them from being drawn. But last night might serve as a reminder that things look all too familiar.

All I’m saying is let’s be a bit more upbeat
Things could really be good under José as he’s a winner but I’m well aware that it could end in tears

Afternoon guys,

First post here so please be gentle with me!

The composition of our squad clearly has some fundamental balance issues, particularly in the midfield area.

I hope we never see Winks and Sissoko together in a MF 2 again. Can anyone actually remember a game against a half decent team we dominated CM with those 2 starting There? Neither are naturally defensive so don’t provide a shield in front of a pretty average back 4. Neither are attacking, unable to join the attack and make chances / get into goal scoring positions. Most importantly, neither are particularly comfortable transitioning the ball from defence to midfield either. I’m delighted that Jose has stopped us overplaying at the back, but on the flip side we have to be able to play out sometimes too and that requires MF players who can take the ball to feet in tight situations and transition to attack. It can’t all be long ball like it was last night. That CM partnership does not and will never work.

I wonder whether we have the players to play 2 in CM and control the game in these big evenings. Prime Wanyama and Dembele provided such balance but we don’t have that anymore.

Perhaps we should be looking to play Dier, GLC and Ndombele in there and drop Moura. Problem again is that leaves Alli out wide where it’s been shown he is less effective.

It looks to me that the transfer activity in the summer was done so with playing a diamond MF in mind. GLC and Ndombele either side of a deep lying MF. We won’t ever play a diamond again so we need to find a combination that works.

Moussa spent the whole evening yesterday playing on our right helping Serge with Rashford (badly), if he’s going to do that we might as well stick him right wing instead of Moura and provide extra bodies in the middle.

Last night just didn’t work, we were really poor.

Having said that it’s Jose’s 4th game so let’s not overreact. There’s work to do for sure though.

Back
Top Bottom