Top 4? 2020/2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Finishing position 2020/2021

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Top 4?! We are winning the title! Chelsea, city & united spending is a waste of time & Liverpool & VVD are crap. Woolwich are a joke club. Levy & ENIC have got this. Chill.

No gallows humour. Good start = top 4. Poor start = shit show. Liverpool not as good, City Blah whatever, United not done enough, Chelsea are what they are. The goons lack bottle. No reason why 3/4th is not open. Got to add 1 or 2 more to the squad though.

Personally don’t think Top 4 is a priority. I’m looking at the Europa League, FA Cup and League Cup, in that priority. If we can win the Europa League this season, it will be an A+ season. Anything after that, whether that be Top 4 or another cup, would be a bonus. Don’t want to turn into Woolwich where Top 4 is the objective every season

Personally don’t think Top 4 is a priority. I’m looking at the Europa League, FA Cup and League Cup, in that priority. If we can win the Europa League this season, it will be an A+ season. Anything after that, whether that be Top 4 or another cup, would be a bonus. Don’t want to turn into Woolwich where Top 4 is the objective every season

Yet Woolwich still manage to win trophies.

I fucking hate that.

over 40% of people on here think we are getting 3rd or 4th

And people say Spurs fans are deluded
As deluded as thinking the team that took 18pts from a possible 24, losing once since the restart, and improving our midfield and defence doesn’t stand a chance of finishing higher than 6th?

Some people refuse to accept that we’ve improved, but with a whole summer with Jose.....his first pre season.....it’s pretty clear there’s a lot to be optimistic about.

Seriously, too many of equate “losing the window” to failure. It’s not the reality though.

Silly cunts still bang on about the summer 2018 window even though we got to the CL Final and finished 4th on the back of it.
Saying Poch did a miracle is tragic as it gets.

The squad was simply strong enough and good enough. Accept you all did a booboo and move on. You’re doing it again.....expecting it to be shit, then sitting there every week and only watching the mistakes to be right.

Go you

6th - possible 5th if Goons shit the bed with injuries

EDIT - it also largely depends on the team selection. If he persists with Winks, Sissoko and Dier - could be even lower. A solid start with Ndombele, PEH and GLC - 5/4th at a push

Top 4 is Levy’s objective in order to maximise profits. Poch confirmed it as well. Hopefully Jose can balance that somehow

Reasons to be pessimistic: Chelsea are likely to be even stronger, the scum have managed to get a boss who seems to know what he's doing and Willian always seems to gain something against us, City will be hungrier and United eventually have to get their spending right.
Reasons to be optimistic: the hubcap lovers have not bought anyone significant for two windows now. That's going to be stressful on a hard pressing team. Especially one which has been mostly the same for 3 seasons now. Poch and, to a lesser extent, Pep have found it hard to stay at the high intensities for more than 2-3 seasons so unless Klopp is a genius of sports science they are likely to run into a wall. Chelsea's strengthening could struggle to integrate 7 players whilst Pep is in uncharted territory in his 5th season.Mostly though, I am optimistic because I think we are actually buying wisely. Seeing problems in our squad and getting players in to fix it. No scattergun N'signings or players below those we want because Daniel tries to get a little more from the selling club.

Reading the transfer thread it seems the difference between 1st and 12th is a backup striker....

Lot depends on that!

I have us in 3rd or 4th and bringing home the Europa.

Doubt if it will be enough to convince Harry to stay another season but I'll feel better if he has at least lifted one trophy before he goes.

COYS!

Hard league to call. You have both Liverpool and City that seem to be ahead of the field, but Liverpool are due some bad luck with injuries at some point, and I don’t think the signing of Ake is going to solve any of the defensive issues City have. I can’t see anyone getting over 90 points this season like we’ve recently seen.

Chelsea have signed well, but Fat Frank now has to stitch a team together from a large pool of good players. In a sense, last season was easy - almost like a free hit because of the transfer ban. The heat really turns up now and they still have to find a way to stop teams scoring. Also, not every player immediately adapts to the PL (see Ndombele), there’s no guarantee their new signings his the ground running.

Man U were good from Xmas onwards but have a pretty shit manager too. They still lack quality at the back and got a hell of a lot of pens last season. Reasons for optimism for their fans but could equally see them flattering to deceive too.

Arteta looks like he has Woolwich on the right trajectory but his team still lacks massive quality. Holding and Elneny were in the starting XI yesterday. If they finish above us, it’s a slight on Jose as our team and squad is deeper.

Then you come to us, 2 relatively shrewd signings and hopefully at least one more to come.

For me, the success of our season depends on 2 things:-

1) Our luck in keeping key players injury free, especially Kane and Son. We know how Jose is going to play, and he’s going to need high quality players to conjure goals against the run of play.

2) The development of GLC and Ndombele. GLC shower flashes of brilliance last year but I want more, and Ndombele clearly has special talent if he can be harnessed and get his fitness right. If they both take big leaps this season, it’ll be the old cliche of “like having 2 new signings and our team all of a sudden looks very strong.

If we are still relying upon Winks, Sissoko and Dele as core components of our MF, it’s really tough to see how we get top 4.

Before the window closes at the end of the month due more to our fixture congestion than anything else we could be out of at least 1 cup and our league form suffered due to overplaying certain players. Get through to mid October unscathed and get a back up striker and we could have a good season.

Back
Top Bottom