Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (A) (16/02/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know what fify means but no one can argue that sports, especially college sports (which is in my opinion is nothing but exploitation. The coaches are the highest paid members of the faculty for God's Sake. They're supposed to be places of further education, not some sports teams with a college attached!!) are played around TV scheduling in order to generate the highest revenue, especially the endless advertisements. It's not quite that bad here. God forbid the college sports TV money type stuff ever comes over here but the money/showbiz angle of things most certainly started in the States.
For what it's worth, in college athletics those outsized coaching salaries are most always funded wholly by the athletic department which is most always financially independent from the university. The funding comes from ticket sales, concessions, merchandising, and donations. So it's not like the history department is having their funding cut to pay for the new basketball coach. Its realistically not a true single entity but two independent organizations in a symbiotic relationship. The athletic department raises funds and recruits athletes by paying for their tuition to a university who lends the athletic department its name and the ability to enroll athletes in exchange for the increased publicity that comes with athletics.

Now, whether or not it's just (hint: it isn't) that it's the coaches and administrators who receive almost all of the economic benefit gained by the labor of collegiate athletes, who basically perform as indentured servants, is a matter of opinion.

Edit: as an example of where the funding comes from (and to make you lot grateful for your Spurs ST prices) my University of Memphis men's basketball season tickets cost me $785 a seat. But in order to purchase those tickets, I must make a "donation" to the athletic scholarship fund in a minimum amount of $2,200. For about 16 home basketball games a year. American football is the same way, same with parking at both stadia.

Last edited:
"Fixed It For You"
Honestly not trying to get into an argument here. But I think the TV money is already flowing. Isn't that why the PL was created? Maximize television contracts?

Far from ITK on Tottenham's finances, but surely the TV money has helped the club invest in the new stadium, practice grounds, etc etc, no?

Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Tottenham wants needs a global following. That will help the club grow and stay financially stable. Part of that means playing an unbalanced schedule for TV. It sucks, but it's part of the deal.

Stay financially stable compared to those owned oil money. But to be honest, we as a footballing nation in England have sold our soul to the devil (not a new development). We are paying a huge premium buying mediocre players off foreign clubs who are laughing all the way to the bank. And we as supporters (myself included) are stupid enough to go along with it. Demanding big money signings, paying an arm and a leg for a ticket to the match and running to the fan shop every season to buy 3 new kits, along with some training gear etc.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but when I don’t have actual games happening to distract me, I begin questioning things like why we are playing on a Sunday afternoon and again on a Wednesday, after having a winterbreak to ensure our players get a rest. Seems pointless. Why not play fewer games over the Christmas period instead? Ah yes, because that wouldn’t make any money for the TV channels, the Premier League and the clubs.

It‘s a mugs game and in moments like this I hate myself for loving and supporting it. But where else can you get that same feeling?

For what it's worth, in college athletics those outsized coaching salaries are most always funded wholly by the athletic department which is most always financially independent from the university. The funding comes from ticket sales, concessions, merchandising, and donations. So it's not like the history department is having their funding cut to pay for the new basketball coach. Its realistically not a true single entity but two independent organizations in a symbiotic relationship. The athletic department raises funds and recruits athletes by paying for their tuition to a university who lends the athletic department its name and the ability to enroll athletes in exchange for the increased publicity that comes with athletics.

Now, whether or not it's just (hint: it isn't) that it's the coaches and administrators who receive almost all of the economic benefit gained by the labor of collegiate athletes, who basically perform as indentured servants, is a matter of opinion.

Edit: as an example of where the funding comes from (and to make you lot grateful for your Spurs ST prices) my University of Memphis men's basketball season tickets cost me $785 a seat. But in order to purchase those tickets, I must make a "donation" to the athletic scholarship fund in a minimum amount of $2,200. For about 16 home basketball games a year. American football is the same way, same with parking at both stadia.
Coming up to CT for the game Sunday?

Coming up to CT for the game Sunday?
Did you miss the summation of my ticket cost? I'm just a poor engineer, I rarely travel to away games outside of making the trip to Tulane every year because it's an excuse to go to New Orleans. I'm sure we'll get tonked away at UConn because we don't have a real coach, our best player quit, and everyone else is hurt. I'm not depressed, I promise.

---------------------Lloris----------------------
Aurier-------Toby------Sanchez----Tanganga
---------------Winks----Lo Celso-------------
-----Lucas----------Alli-----------Bergwijn--
-----------------------Son-----------------------

Subs: Gazza, Vertonghen, Sessegnon, Dier, N'dombele, Gedson, Lamela

---------------------Lloris----------------------
Aurier-------Toby------Sanchez----Tanganga
---------------Winks----Lo Celso-------------
-----Lucas----------Alli-----------Bergwijn--
-----------------------Son-----------------------

Subs: Gazza, Vertonghen, Sessegnon, Dier, N'dombele, Gedson, Lamela
Think this is most likely, Subs will be important given our schedule. I would be tempted to bring Gedson & Lamela on early doors regardless of how the game is going just so that we have a couple players half rested for Wednesday.

I'm in Amsterdam for a romantic weekend ( techno and drugs) with the missus.. any recommendations for a good sports bar? They love showing Premier League games out there.

Probably be hated on for the Semi ?!

I'm in Amsterdam for a romantic weekend ( techno and drugs) with the missus.. any recommendations for a good sports bar? They love showing Premier League games out there.

There’s a big one in Leidseplein I think it’s called Skysports bar, but cant remember.

Not my thing really, but the rest were just small pubs I’ve watched in

Have been there twice and it is very decent pub with comfortable chairs and many tv screens (27 apparently), at the famous Rembrandtplein as well. Sportscalendar at their website already says that they will have Villa v Spurs on.

Last edited:
Small pubs would be good too! Got a few microbreweries to visit.. not sure they'd bother with a license to show sports

.. last time I went abroad... Berlin in October.. Was in a club for about 16 hours and ended up watching us Vs Liverpool on my phone but kinda hidden inside my hoodie ( no phones in clubs ).

I think I could do with somewhere more relaxing this time around.

.. last time I went abroad... Berlin in October.. Was in a club for about 16 hours and ended up watching us Vs Liverpool on my phone but kinda hidden inside my hoodie ( no phones in clubs ).

I think I could do with somewhere more relaxing this time around.

Berghain was it? :mourglasses:

Where u off to In 'Dam?

Back
Top Bottom