Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton (H) | Saturday 10th February @ 15:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will you grow a pair and admit, it all went down exactly as I said?

Or are you still in your 15yo phase when instead of it you try so hard to come up with something funny that you sprain something?
you come across as a weirdo tbh.

yes you stated Son shouldn't play and he didn't play but the backlash was due to your thick as pig shit post about me "hating" son and wishing bad things on him and then doubling down by telling people to "eat a bunch of dicks".

Yeah, hence why I called him an incredible talent, but like I said for the money quoted you'd expect someone to come in a bit closer to the finished article. We already have a striker who isn't elite, and if we want to upgrade that's what we need to go out and get. From what I've seen, Sesko isn't elite just yet.

Yeah, hence why I called him an incredible talent, but like I said for the money quoted you'd expect someone to come in a bit closer to the finished article. We already have a striker who isn't elite, and if we want to upgrade that's what we need to go out and get. From what I've seen, Sesko isn't elite just yet.

Unfortunately that's the market, striker market is horrible, look how much Utd paid for Hojlund - you're purely paying for potential...Leipzig wanted around £50m in Jan, even Feyenoord wanted around £60m for Giminez.

If you want the finished article of close to it then you need to pay Oshimen prices.

I seem to be almost alone in this, having read what many said on here during and after the game, and even listened to some of the pods this week that seemed to suggest this was a hard watch and a game in which we were shit and Brighton were fabulous.

I actually quite enjoyed this game, until around the 70th minute at least. Brighton one of those sides, like us, that play a high risk strategy, and like us, it can reap rewards but can also leave your arse hanging in the wind.

They aren’t the first team to stick a man on our 6 to try to stifle our build up, but they went full commando, pretty much man for man and even had their CB following Maddison up and down the pitch.

This posed us big problems, especially in the first 20 minutes or so as we tried to figure it out.

But I quite enjoyed seeing us challenged like this. And I quite enjoyed watching the dance unfold between these two teams as we tried to find answers. A year ago we’d have just shrunk up our own arses and tried to sneak up the pitch a couple of times.

But between 20 and 70 I felt that we posed them more problems than they posed us. We pushed them back down the pitch, tried to work the ball around and pretty much kept them to nothing - they had something like 2 shots (1 on target) during this 50 minute spell, whilst we had 14/5. We had 57% of the ball during this phase. Their XG flatlined at this point and ours steadily climbed during the same phase.

This continued for ten minutes (60-70min) after we scored, in fact intensified and we had 70% of the ball in the next ten minutes, but then suddenly we dropped off. The next 10 minutes (80-90 mins) they had a really strong phase, possession went 30/70 they had a great chance and we struggled to string three passes together.

I’m really not sure whether any one thing caused this. Johnson coming on definitely hindered our ability to play out on the right, but the other two subs had no real negative tactical impact - they were either like for like or improved their positions.

But either way the last 8 minutes we regained some momentum, possession switched round again 67/33 for the last 8 minutes and we put together the move of the game to score the winner.

I felt the way Brighton played almost suits us (or that’s the plan anyway) better than most approaches. Our intention is to draw teams out, we want to be pressed. That’s the high risk part. We want to play through that pressure and then capitalise on the openings that that press leaves behind. That’s the high reward part.

Our trouble in this first season of Ange is that we are also a Brighton. We invite the risks and give up those same rewards.

Thats why I actually quite enjoyed this game. It was nice to be involved in this kind of tactical game of Russian roulette instead of the fucking grandads gin rummy we’d been playing previous seasons.

I felt like we competed. Like we caused them more offensive problems than they did us, whilst limiting them to almost fuck all.

The non penalty XG was 2.4/0.6 to us. They had 3.85 in their home game.

Some of the usual frustrations were there, a front line that wastes good situations and chances with bumbling being primary, but overall I found myself quite absorbed and the game seemed to fly by quicker than some games.

And a last minute winner never hurts.

Last edited:
I seem to be almost alone in this, having read what many said on here during and after the game, and even listened to some of the pods this week that seemed to suggest this was a hard watch and a game in which we were shit and Brighton were fabulous.

I actually quite enjoyed this game, until around the 70th minute at least. Brighton one of those sides, like us, that play a high risk strategy, and like us, it can reap rewards but can also leave your arse hanging in the wind.

They aren’t the first team to stick a man on our 6 to try to stifle our build up, but they went full commando, pretty much man for man and even had their CB following Maddison up and down the pitch.

This posed us big problems, especially in the first 20 minutes or so as we tried to figure it out.

But I quite enjoyed seeing us challenged like this. And I quite enjoyed watching the dance unfold between these two teams as we tried to find answers. A year ago we’d have just shrunk up our own arses and tried to sneak up the pitch a couple of times.

But between 20 and 70 I felt that we posed them more problems than they posed us. We pushed them back down the pitch, tried to work the ball around and pretty much kept them to nothing - they had something like 2 shots (1 on target) during this 50 minute spell, whilst we had 14/5. We had 57% of the ball during this phase. Their XG flatlined at this point and ours steadily climbed during the same phase.

This continued for ten minutes (60-70min) after we scored, in fact intensified and we had 70% of the ball in the next ten minutes, but then suddenly we dropped off. The next 10 minutes (80-90 mins) they had a really strong phase, possession went 30/70 they had a great chance and we struggled to string three passes together.

I’m really not sure whether any one thing caused this. Johnson coming on definitely hindered our ability to play out on the right, but the other two subs had no real negative tactical impact - they were either like for line or improved their positions.

But either way the last 8 minutes we regained some momentum, possession switched round again 67/33 for the last 8 minutes and we put together the move of the game to score the winner.

I felt the way Brighton played almost suits us (or that’s the plan anyway) better than most approaches. Our intention is to draw teams out, we want to be pressed. That’s the high risk part. We want to play through that pressure and then capitalise on the openings that that press leaves behind. That’s the high reward part.

Our trouble in this first season of Ange is that we are also a Brighton. We invite the risks and give up those same rewards.

Thats why actually quite enjoyed this game. It was nice to be involved in this kind of tactical game of Russian roulette instead of the fucking grandads gin rummy we’d been playing.

I felt like we competed. Like we caused them way more offensive problems than they did us, whilst limiting them to almost fuck all.

Some of the usual frustrations were there, a front line that wastes good situations and chances with bumbling being primary, but overall i found myself quite absorbed and the game seemed to fly by quicker than some games.

Largely agree. They and Brentford before them went man for man at our goal kicks and reaped rewards for it.

Benta struggled with it partly because it's hard but also his movement is predictable - he's not a move one way and then check back another way player a la Modric or Eriksen - and doesn't buy himself a yard to wriggle into and use the ball. I can't pick on him for it because the same is true of the others and like you said (and Ange) Brighton are a good side who make life hard and are well drilled and play good footy.

I guess for most fans it doesn't get much more sophisticated than ' we're better than them, we're at home, we should win, they had chances at key moments, and a last minute winner shows we struggled and lucked in. '

We are showing signs of progress as you say, maybe not against the first ten games, but only now have we got everyone back and can be absolutely relentless until the game is over.

You're 100% right (and again Ange agrees), we must improve up front, Johnson outside of the goal was poor, and without Mad we'd struggle creatively because the rest are mostly wizbangers.

Still, it's early days and the future does look bright, it's good to see a positive reflection on a tough game.

Largely agree. They and Brentford before them went man for man at our goal kicks and reaped rewards for it.

Benta struggled with it partly because it's hard but also his movement is predictable - he's not a move one way and then check back another way player a la Modric or Eriksen - and doesn't buy himself a yard to wriggle into and use the ball. I can't pick on him for it because the same is true of the others and like you said (and Ange) Brighton are a good side who make life hard and are well drilled and play good footy.

I guess for most fans it doesn't get much more sophisticated than ' we're better than them, we're at home, we should win, they had chances at key moments, and a last minute winner shows we struggled and lucked in. '

We are showing signs of progress as you say, maybe not against the first ten games, but only now have we got everyone back and can be absolutely relentless until the game is over.

You're 100% right (and again Ange agrees), we must improve up front, Johnson outside of the goal was poor, and without Mad we'd struggle creatively because the rest are mostly wizbangers.

Still, it's early days and the future does look bright, it's good to see a positive reflection on a tough game.

I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% convinced (yet) that Ange’s arse can ultimately cash all the cheque’s his mouth writes. But right now I couldn’t give too much of a shit, I’m in for the ride, and if we are going to fail (or fail to succeed), I’d rather do it like this than the bollocks of the last few years (and I include the last 2-3 years of Poch in that).

I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% convinced (yet) that Ange’s arse can ultimately cash all the cheque’s his mouth writes. But right now I couldn’t give too much of a shit, I’m in for the ride, and if we are going to fail (or fail to succeed), I’d rather do it like this than the bollocks of the last few years (and I include the last 2-3 years of Poch in that).
Yes very much agree. Ange has had a winning formula up to this point but he's never been up against the best team and most financially manufactured and well run club in recent history. We can't blame him for that of course, City are an outlier like Chelsea used to be and so we must temper against that as well as the overall improvement in the league generally.

But it's good to watch, the football has a definite philosophy, the players are onboard, the footy recruitment side is improving quickly and with Liverpool in flux and maybe Pep fucking off sometime soonish, we might be in position to capitalize. He does need to hang around though, not something he's done before.

And yet Bentancur is still the best man, perhaps after Biss (if he's back to his first-10-game-kind-of- form), to be playing that role. I reckoned Hojbjerg will keep playing back and inviting more and unnecessary pressure. Skipp I'm not so sure - to me he knew the tactical part better than Hojbjerg, but his passes are hit and miss. And sometimes he may leave out a stretch leg and clumsily take down a player when being dispossessed.

I fully expect Bentancur to excel in this role when his fitness is totally regained and his agility returns and have a very strong rotation with Biss.

you come across as a weirdo tbh.

yes you stated Son shouldn't play and he didn't play but the backlash was due to your thick as pig shit post about me "hating" son and wishing bad things on him and then doubling down by telling people to "eat a bunch of dicks".

Don't really care.

Wishing Sonny starting at that kind of circumstances absolutely was wishing bad thing to happen with him. Very basic logic that you just ignored. Luckly Ange did not, all turned out well.

And I know. I came back to gloat that everything went exactly like it did. I know it was over the top, and I know that it does not make acknowledging me being right any easier. But I don't care. Regardless how I would have put it, most people have no ability admitting someone else foresight was better. So in this instance I just went on a bender. Sue me :D .

I’m really not sure whether any one thing caused this. Johnson coming on definitely hindered our ability to play out on the right, but the other two subs had no real negative tactical impact - they were either like for like or improved their positions.

Thats why I actually quite enjoyed this game. It was nice to be involved in this kind of tactical game of Russian roulette instead of the fucking grandads gin rummy we’d been playing previous seasons.

I felt like we competed. Like we caused them more offensive problems than they did us, whilst limiting them to almost fuck all.

Some of the usual frustrations were there, a front line that wastes good situations and chances with bumbling being primary, but overall I found myself quite absorbed and the game seemed to fly by quicker than some games.

Fucking outstanding post.

Also, credit to you that you were one of the few in match thread noticing these things and not melting live.

You almost managed to admit that Kulusevski coming out from the right meant we didn't play as well but couldn't bring yourself to admit that he's important to us. But the quality of the post means you get a pass imo.

There's definitely a narrative going around that we were outplayed by Brighton but that wasn't the case at all, bet people will change their minds if they watch the game again.

Great post. Agree with 95% of what you said here.

The chance that Fati missed really was a guilt edged chance. We got away with one there. But other than that I agree they created little.

Fucking outstanding post.

Also, credit to you that you were one of the few in match thread noticing these things and not melting live.

You almost managed to admit that Kulusevski coming out from the right meant we didn't play as well but couldn't bring yourself to admit that he's important to us. But the quality of the post means you get a pass imo.

Playing well>Kulusevski>Johnson

Kulusevski is definitely more use than Johnson in build up, but largely that’s because Johnson is no use. If you could pût Kulusevski and Johnson in the machine from The Fly, and end up with a quicker version of Kulusevski or a Johnson who isn’t just useful 3 inches from goal that would help.

Agree with the recent posts.

It feels like some people have this vision that if we aren't dominating for 90 like we effectively did against Newcastle, then it's not a good performance

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying every game (or all of every game) has been great, there’s been some poor stuff and less than stellar performances as well. I just didn’t hate this game like some seem to have (including some whose opinions I respect).

Back
Top Bottom