Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton (H) | Saturday 10th February @ 15:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying every game (or all of every game) has been great, there’s been some poor stuff and less than stellar performances as well. I just didn’t hate this game like some seem to have (including some whose opinions I respect).

It wasn’t awful but we weren’t nearly intense enough across the 90 and Brighton had too many periods of control when we were the home side.

Don’t think Ange was that happy after either. It was pretty mediocre overall.

It wasn’t awful but we weren’t nearly intense enough across the 90 and Brighton had too many periods of control when we were the home side.

Don’t think Ange was that happy after either. It was pretty mediocre overall.

Does anyone control Brighton, home or away, for 90 minutes?

I agree, definitely spells in that game where we were not in control, I listed them. I don't there's been too many games where we have been totally in control all season, and even when we have our back door has been wide open some of the time.

As I have said in a subsequent post, I'm not even sure Angeball is ever going to be tight enough to win the league etc. or that it won't always come with inherent risks that keep getting exposed.

All I was saying was, I didn't hate this game as much as some, I quite liked what I saw for a middle chunk of about 50 minutes either side of half time. And in a general sense, I'd rather fail proactively with our boots on than reactively hiding in the toilet with our pants down.

The word I'd use to describe the match is "chaotic". No side had full control, and the midfield was incredibly congested which resulted in a shitload of turnovers for both sides. I'm glad we came out on top, but it felt like a coin flip, though I do know the stats have us as the better side.

I seem to be almost alone in this, having read what many said on here during and after the game, and even listened to some of the pods this week that seemed to suggest this was a hard watch and a game in which we were shit and Brighton were fabulous.

I actually quite enjoyed this game, until around the 70th minute at least. Brighton one of those sides, like us, that play a high risk strategy, and like us, it can reap rewards but can also leave your arse hanging in the wind.

They aren’t the first team to stick a man on our 6 to try to stifle our build up, but they went full commando, pretty much man for man and even had their CB following Maddison up and down the pitch.

This posed us big problems, especially in the first 20 minutes or so as we tried to figure it out.

But I quite enjoyed seeing us challenged like this. And I quite enjoyed watching the dance unfold between these two teams as we tried to find answers. A year ago we’d have just shrunk up our own arses and tried to sneak up the pitch a couple of times.

But between 20 and 70 I felt that we posed them more problems than they posed us. We pushed them back down the pitch, tried to work the ball around and pretty much kept them to nothing - they had something like 2 shots (1 on target) during this 50 minute spell, whilst we had 14/5. We had 57% of the ball during this phase. Their XG flatlined at this point and ours steadily climbed during the same phase.

This continued for ten minutes (60-70min) after we scored, in fact intensified and we had 70% of the ball in the next ten minutes, but then suddenly we dropped off. The next 10 minutes (80-90 mins) they had a really strong phase, possession went 30/70 they had a great chance and we struggled to string three passes together.

I’m really not sure whether any one thing caused this. Johnson coming on definitely hindered our ability to play out on the right, but the other two subs had no real negative tactical impact - they were either like for like or improved their positions.

But either way the last 8 minutes we regained some momentum, possession switched round again 67/33 for the last 8 minutes and we put together the move of the game to score the winner.

I felt the way Brighton played almost suits us (or that’s the plan anyway) better than most approaches. Our intention is to draw teams out, we want to be pressed. That’s the high risk part. We want to play through that pressure and then capitalise on the openings that that press leaves behind. That’s the high reward part.

Our trouble in this first season of Ange is that we are also a Brighton. We invite the risks and give up those same rewards.

Thats why I actually quite enjoyed this game. It was nice to be involved in this kind of tactical game of Russian roulette instead of the fucking grandads gin rummy we’d been playing previous seasons.

I felt like we competed. Like we caused them more offensive problems than they did us, whilst limiting them to almost fuck all.

The non penalty XG was 2.4/0.6 to us. They had 3.85 in their home game.

Some of the usual frustrations were there, a front line that wastes good situations and chances with bumbling being primary, but overall I found myself quite absorbed and the game seemed to fly by quicker than some games.

And a last minute winner never hurts.
Excellent post. One question, though: Who are you and what have you done with bus-conductor? 😊

2 v Brentford
1 v MUFC

Kapeesh?

Oh and one v Brentford was of the "on the plate" variety, Johnson into an open goal, rather than the pass to Bale for the Spam screamer. ie more important than sticking it on from 6 yards.

Lol just tells you the state of statistical analysis these days and the utter desperation when people count that Udogie goal as a Werner assist

I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% convinced (yet) that Ange’s arse can ultimately cash all the cheque’s his mouth writes. But right now I couldn’t give too much of a shit, I’m in for the ride, and if we are going to fail (or fail to succeed), I’d rather do it like this than the bollocks of the last few years (and I include the last 2-3 years of Poch in that).

The last 2-3 years?????

...............................You think 16/17 sucked? ....That's wild!

.................17/18 was rough cos of Wembley itself being hardwork as a fan, but that was still a strong season too on the whole.

Even the first half of 18/19 we looked good until the visible downturn following the 3-1 home capitulation to Wolves in Dec (at which point we were 3rd and 4 points from top); from which we never recovered.

I launched a match thread for Wolves but apparently someone had beaten me to the punch. Can't find the original anywhere, though. Admin ghosting me or nobody discussing the game?😄

I launched a match thread for Wolves but apparently someone had beaten me to the punch. Can't find the original anywhere, though. Admin ghosting me or nobody discussing the game?😄
OP on ignore and your thread posted 2nd so merged, I’d speculate.

egN95vF.png

Subs: Forster, Dragusin, Sessegnon, Højbjerg, Bentancur, Lo Celso, Bryan Gil, Kulusevski, Werner

The last 2-3 years?????

...............................You think 16/17 sucked? ....That's wild!

.................17/18 was rough cos of Wembley itself being hardwork as a fan, but that was still a strong season too on the whole.

Even the first half of 18/19 we looked good until the visible downturn following the 3-1 home capitulation to Wolves in Dec (at which point we were 3rd and 4 points from top); from which we never recovered.

No, 16-17 was good. It was all downhill from there.

No hype required.....

Richy's last 10 games speak for themselves.
because 10 games makes a good player right..?

what about the last 5 seasons? Even when Richarlison was scoring goals( mainly tap ins btw) his overall game is still not good enough.

No other elite club would sign richarlison...let alone for 60m.

because 10 games makes a good player right..?

what about the last 5 seasons? Even when Richarlison was scoring goals( mainly tap ins btw) his overall game is still not good enough.

No other elite club would sign richarlison...let alone for 60m.

You're incapable of responding to what people ACTUALLY write aren't.

Chat shit > Called on it > respond with a constant flurry of "yeh but what about"-ism, goalpost moving.

Gobshite essentially.

17-18 wasn't "bollocks". We were a damn good team.

I siad bollocks of the last few years including the last 2-3 years of Poch. I clarified that 16-17 was good, but it was downhill from there. That's how I feel about it. 17-18 not as bad as 18-19 but I didn't enjoy either much because I could see it going to shit.

And nothing you will say will change my opinion on that so if 17-18 was good for you that's fine, let's just agree that we felt differently about it.

Back
Top Bottom