Tottenham Hotspur V Chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We played well and got a bit nervous from their typical cheatski goal. Some good performances. Dembele was a superstar! If only Defoe had tucked that in.

Chelsea were never really out of it, it was looking ominous when they scored and we should have made the extra man count but our passing just wasn't as crisp as the first half, so I guess a draw will have to do.

AVB got the substitutions dead wrong IMO. Should have won that.

I think he was right to bring Defoe on, and Chadli wasn't a bad decision in order to give them a new threat to think about (though I didn't see much of him) but I was surprised we didn't put Sandro on. For me, that would have broken up a lot of their attacks at the right moment for us to then bounce on the break.

Watching in the first half I was thinking to myself, even if we lose this today, we are a fantastic side now, definately right up there.

Extremely disappointed he didn't feature. Lamela or Chadli, no brainer surely? All I can think was AVB chose Chadli for his defensive duties as we were 1-0 up at the time? Still overall its early days and I'm confident Lamela will fight himself into the team.
AVB has repeatedly shown that he likes to work players into the first 11 gradually. Lamela has put in some good performances, but it's still early days for him and there's no reason to question his place in the squad yet. He didn't have a preseason, and doesn't speak english, it's perfectly understandable in my opinion that he wasn't deemed ready to start one of our biggest games of the season.

It's not like Townsend embarrassed himself, anyways. The kid deserves a little bit of recognition that he's not going to be shunted off to the side, and that he has a place in the squad.

I get the postivity here ... but the truth is that we could have easily lost.
Mata + Ramieres going much deeper made a huge difference for them. AVB should learn to make some subs earlier. Chadli sub was wierd and ineffective.

We must gain the confidence to keep the ball and attack even when we're in the lead. We get very protective as it is now, which is quite often a disadvantage. We will gain it in time though. Still a team that is rising.

Happy with 1-1 today. Chelsea is usually a mare and now one game against them has passed without letting five goals hit the back of our net.

Lloris man of the match for me.

Dembele locked down a starting spot today. Completed more passes than anyone in the park and did it at 91% completion, completed 8 dribbles (most of any player) and got dispossessed only once.

edit: also had the most tackles on the team, only behind Terry and Ramires.

We were terrible in the second half. Don't know why we kept launching it from Lloris straight to their CBs and they would be running at our back line within 2 seconds. It happened over and over again until they scored. We still go into our shell when we score and can't kill a game when we have momentum. And once momentum was lost, they were all over us in the second half until the sending off.

Agree on Lloris launching it. Strange tactic as possession is surely one of our strong points normally...
But although we often don't close games down when we should, we have to give credit to the cunts, they played well in the second half and dragged themselves back into it. They were at the absolute maximum of what they could do in the second half, and after the sending off we only had ten minutes against ten men in defence.

I think he was right to bring Defoe on, and Chadli wasn't a bad decision in order to give them a new threat to think about (though I didn't see much of him) but I was surprised we didn't put Sandro on. For me, that would have broken up a lot of their attacks at the right moment for us to then bounce on the break.
I would have taken that sub, but Paulie scooped up several interceptions toward the end of the game and was looking like one of our livelier players. Dembele played a blinder, so who are you going to take off?

In hindsight, I probably would have put Lamela on for Townsend, but that was before Torres was sent off and we were getting run over. Chadli offers more in defense, so I don't think it was a bad decision.

And Eriksen was fizzling out. Holtby offered a lot of energy that had gone missing in the second half.

Stop knee-jerking you cunts. In years past you lot would have jumped for a draw against Chelsea. We've got a point that temporarily has us top of the table.

AVB has repeatedly shown that he likes to work players into the first 11 gradually. Lamela has put in some good performances, but it's still early days for him and there's no reason to question his place in the squad yet. He didn't have a preseason, and doesn't speak english, it's perfectly understandable in my opinion that he wasn't deemed ready to start one of our biggest games of the season.

It's not like Townsend embarrassed himself, anyways. The kid deserves a little bit of recognition that he's not going to be shunted off to the side, and that he has a place in the squad.

I didn't necessarily agree with him starting but Chadli had what, a month more of preseason training compared to Lamela? He scored midweek yes but Chadli has just come back from Injury and Lamela got the assist in the Premier League last week. In my opinion he should have definitely been subbed on instead of Chadli.

this master and apprentice shite is pissing me off too

mourinho is the master of being an arrogant smug cunt that's about it

I'd love to knock that smug cunt for 6, but sad to say I think he won the managerial battle today. Bringing Mata on early helped change the game, whereas we didn't look like we had any specific game plan coming out of the tunnel.

Back
Top Bottom