Tottenham Hotspur V Chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our QB is about as effective as Emile Heskey, if Heskey had a leg amputated after a freak skiing accident
Your QB throwing interceptions for TD's is like Heskey scoring own goals. Don't think the big man had many of those. That freshmanQB from last year was really improving. Losing him really hurt. UT has been stunningly incompetent. Good bye Mack.

When sig scored that goal I really was convinced we would win. This thought alone is encouraging. I never felt like this last year.

Your QB throwing interceptions for TD's is like Heskey scoring own goals. Don't think the big man had many of those. That freshmanQB from last year was really improving. Losing him really hurt. UT has been stunningly incompetent. Good bye Mack.

When sig scored that goal I really was convinced we would win. This thought alone is encouraging. I never felt like this last year.

Feel free to make a throwball thread, gents ...

:adestare:

Chelsea's Fernando Torres could face a lengthy ban after clash with Tottenham's Jan Vertonghen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ter-clash-with-Tottenhams-Jan-Vertonghen.html

Anyone read the comments? Hilariously deluded fuckwits on there:

I hope he is banned. Whether or not his second yellow was justified a scratch or gouge on the face of another pro is appalling behaviour. It's a shame since he looked more like the Torres of old, but of we're going to ban biters for 10 games then face scratchers ought to be punished too.

oh grow up, this is football not table tennis, and supposedly played by men.

Since when did 'men' scratch faces?

By accident, since as long as they have had fingers and some idiot has put their face too close to them.

One more time:

"Since when did 'men' scratch faces?

By accident, since as long as they have had fingers and some idiot has put their face too close to them."

:walker::myword::gallashmm::bentley::dawsonlol::eriksenlol::kaboullol::avblol:

:avbfu:

Last edited:
You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Torres was specifically given instructions by Mourinho to rile up our best CB throughout the game. It's exactly the cynical kind of thing Mourinho encourages in his players, and he would've noticed the little bits of shakiness/tiredness in Jan in recent games (see: the bizarro Helenius incident). He knows that Torres would have no problems burning Daws anyways, since Daws usually doesn't do too well against direct runners, so the goal is to take Vertonghen out of the picture.

I'm rewatching the game, and I actually don't think that Mata alone was that big of a game-changer; you could see a few danger signs before the break that they were passing it around too easily in midfield in front of our third, and we actually relinquished some territory and played on the counter more than in previous games (perhaps not surprisingly - our good chances did come on the break). Ramires moving to the center and cutting off Eriksen's supply line (+ Eriksen tiring, as he did against Cardiff) was a key factor, but really all of Chelsea's players stepped up the tempo and started pressing far more aggressively while we retreated a little as we've tended to do once in the lead. We actually woke up and started fighting our way back into it midway second half (60'-75'), but one of the best players in the second half was annoyingly Torres, who did very well on the turn and in hold-up play and so kept presenting a long-ball target/threat that allowed them to bypass our midfield.

Mourinho is a genius at orchestrating (and winning) these little psychological battles. His players are routinely clever foulers and whiny brats who gang up on the ref at every call, while you could see our body language becoming increasingly frustrated and snappish - Jan pulling the "yap yap yap" gesture at Torres, Dembele slamming the ball on the ground etc. Yes Chelsea were more aggressive pressers than any other team we've faced so far, but you could see us losing our mental composure - our "tranquility" - as the game wore on and I think that also played a factor in the unusual level of sloppiness in our passing; we were becoming mentally isolated from each other, as our attention got snagged by our personal duels.

Now, I would've loved different tactical substitutions - in particular Sandro, just to nullify Mata and that central zone as Ramires was doing with Eriksen - but I think as a whole we need greater mental preparation in these kinds of games. The hot-blooded desire to win you saw in Fergie's Man Utd is critical for any great side, but thanks to Fergie it was underlain by this cold, steely self-belief that they would win - and so as the pressure ramped up, Man Utd would actually grow in composure and intensity and teamwork.

Last edited:
I wanted to watch the match back again before making comments, and with good reason. From my seat I thought Torres should have gone for his challenge on Vertonghen, he shouldn't, and I didn't see the face scratch at all.

But it is other areas that I missed, namely that I thought Paulinho was excellent but in hindsight he should have made way for Sandro as the game began to pass us by. Our first half was about dynamism and solidity. First in the tackle and overlapping runs but the second half couldn't have been any different, and in fairness, the last ten minutes of the first half should have warned us that Chelsea weren't able to take the remainder of the game laying down.

I have concerns that yet again, despite numerous shots, too many are wild efforts or scuffed attempts where we should, with the quality and experience of the players, be expecting a little more composure.

It would be churlish to say we should have won given the first half performance, Chelsea aren't a bad side by any means and a point gained is how we have to view this.

The crowd, at least the south lower was in full voice but it has to be said, once the nerves crept in, there were far too many supporters coating the players off (Walker probably deserved a few of the comments to be fair!)...it is impossible to have 90 minutes of all out singing but is it really that difficult to not call our own players cunts?

West Ham next, in the league, I'll not be counting any chickens but we are due to give someone a pasting, I'd like it to be them.

The other very noticeable thing I saw in my rewatch was that we were more deep-lying and counterattacking in the first half than in the second - we actually brought *up* our high line, and that played into Chelsea's hands because Torres was in fine form and balls kept sticking to him like glue. Rather than helping us get onto the ball, we actually struggled more to retain possession once we moved our backline higher since they could just keep hitting it diagonally or to Torres and keep putting us under pressure.

So far in these big clashes, I think the more counterattacking side has looked better, or at least created better chances - Arse against us, City against United, Liverpool against United. For me it's the way to go against the stronger sides in this league.

Pretty good stuff from the Mail...

Torres was a disgrace but I sense the hand of Jose in this cowardly assault

Fernando Torres should face at least a three-match ban for his spiteful, cowardly assault on Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen and the FA has the power to enforce such a punishment.

The incident, six minutes into the second half, was played out in all its ugliness on video replays.

Torres was chasing another lost cause down the touchline and petulantly tripped Vertonghen. The foul was needless and probably caused by Torres’ frustration at being shackled so effectively by the Belgian.
Referee Mike Dean saw the trip, but his view was not clear of the follow-up by the Spaniard, who grabbed his opponent and appeared to try and press a thumb into his face and scratch his cheek with his fingers.

You could see the spite on Torres’ face and there appeared to be an intention to cause harm. There is no place on the football field for such actions, which rugby sees too often and always cites and punishes with video evidence.

Let’s be clear here — Torres should have been sent off. And as the violent incident was clearly missed by all of the match officials, the FA can now have the incident reviewed by their disciplinary panel, which must surely recommend a suspension.

I would expect Dean to confirm that he would have sent off Torres had he had the chance to see the incident — any select group referee would have done so.Torres later got his comeuppance when he was red-carded following an aerial clash with Vertonghen.

That’s where Jose Mourinho enters the drama. The Chelsea manager is a past master a creating smokescreens to try to cover up wrongdoing from his stars and pointing the finger at Vertonghen’s actions following Torres’s jump at him is merely that. Mourinho tried to make the Spurs player the villain of the piece, suggesting that he pretended to have been assaulted by Torres.

At full speed it did look as though Torres had jumped into Vertonghen and the defender’s reaction did not help Dean in determining what disciplinary action was correct. Video replays confirmed that, in fact, Torres made little contact with the Spurs player, who was perhaps frustrated at still having to face the Spaniard despite being assaulted 30 minutes earlier.

The defender should be complimented for not reacting during the first incident. But it is a pity he did not do the same after the second as, by going to ground in dramatic fashion, he gave ammunition to Mourinho, who jumped on the opportunity to apportion blame.

Indeed, I wouldn’t be surprised if Torres’ actions at White Hart Lane could be linked back to Mourinho. We know from the past that the Portuguese can draw the best from players by ‘winding them up’ before a match.

He likes his players to play with fire in their bellies and that was certainly the case with Torres here as he tried to take the opportunity to show his manager that he is a better option than Samuel Eto’o.

Mourinho had painted himself as a ‘Mr Happy’ when he returned to the Premier League. On Saturday we saw evidence of the old dark arts as he created mischief in an attempt to protect his players.

This will be the first case to be adjudicated by the FA’s new disciplinary panel and it will be fascinating to see what suspension Torres finally faces. I hope justice is done and a suspension of at least three games for violent conduct is served.

I also hope it’s a one-off from Torres, who looked like he was returning to form and should not need to resort to scratching and gouging.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...disgrace-Chelsea-v-Tottenham-GRAHAM-POLL.html

Back
Top Bottom