Tottenham Hotspur v Everton - July 6th - 8PM (UK)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For the first time in years it feels like the AVB era when we’d go into a game feeling hopeless, knowing that we’d play like shit and lose. It wouldn’t surprise me if they win 2-1.

Lloris, Kane, Lo Celso (although he had a mare yesterday) plus 8 others.

Other than these 3, I have no idea what team or formation he'll play.

After yesterday's abject, gutless, clueless, witless, embarassing defeat (yes, to Sheffield United!), I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter what 11 he picks.

We need to be able to build up the play have players comfortable with the ball. Except the goal yday it has been a long punt down field, fluke against spam and and break away. No dilly fallers, players who hold onto the ball too much or ones who just run down blind alleys. Look at city they don’t really have a tough tackling midfielder but they have players who are comfortable with the ball 1-2 touch and also who press to win the ball back. We can’t afford all our attacking players hanging around for the ball to come from sissoko or the full backs. We need players who are gonna do a give and go and also run into space. Yday we had 4 attacking players who everyone on Sky kept saying were frightening but none ran into space or stayed wide everyone was in the middle. Not sure if this coach can get us to play football like I just described but I’d like to see players comfortable on the ball and looking to move forward after passing the ball not just stand there. Possibly 3 at the back might let us do this with gedson and sess. They are young and shoil

Lloris
Aurier - Toby - Dier - Sessegnon
Ndombele - Skipp/Winks - Lo Celso
Son - Kane - Bergwijn

Not expecting much from this.

We need to be able to build up the play have players comfortable with the ball. Except the goal yday it has been a long punt down field, fluke against spam and and break away. No dilly fallers, players who hold onto the ball too much or ones who just run down blind alleys. Look at city they don’t really have a tough tackling midfielder but they have players who are comfortable with the ball 1-2 touch and also who press to win the ball back. We can’t afford all our attacking players hanging around for the ball to come from sissoko or the full backs. We need players who are gonna do a give and go and also run into space. Yday we had 4 attacking players who everyone on Sky kept saying were frightening but none ran into space or stayed wide everyone was in the middle. Not sure if this coach can get us to play football like I just described but I’d like to see players comfortable on the ball and looking to move forward after passing the ball not just stand there. Possibly 3 at the back might let us do this with gedson and sess. They are young and shoil
City play Rodri in the middle. He is tough tackling. He would be highly effective for us.

Liverpool play Fabinho there.

But yes I agree we need players who are comfortable on the ball. But these players need to be complemented with a tackler like Fabinho, Kante, Rodri, Casemiro.....

Do we have a 'tough tackler'? I know City don't, but we don't play tiki-taka footie and just wondering if I'm missing someone.

Sissoko can be a beast, but I've rarely seen him chop someone down. I don't like that side of the game, but there's a fine line to be trodden and I honestly never thought about it until this week (seeing us lose power to an ever-more-confident Blades side).

I'm not panicking, far from it, I think we're in a transition and it doesn't finish until the season does, but I'd really like to see a chopper sitting deep to antagonise their forwards. They don't have to be brutal, you can ruin someone with simple humiliation and demoralisation.

I know TN can show people up, but I'm thinking of someone who just Shuts Shit Down.

Oppo recieves the ball, thinks he can turn... WHOMP! on the floor, turnover, no foul.
Player passes... *SWISH* cut-out, no fan-fare, just looked like a shit pass.

That kind of thing. Is the the fabled CDM we keep hearing about? If so, who would that be? Could anyone be moulded into that? Or are we buying to get it?

I know TN can show people up, but I'm thinking of someone who just Shuts Shit Down.

Oppo recieves the ball, thinks he can turn... WHOMP! on the floor, turnover, no foul.
Player passes... *SWISH* cut-out, no fan-fare, just looked like a shit pass.

That kind of thing. Is the the fabled CDM we keep hearing about? If so, who would that be? Could anyone be moulded into that? Or are we buying to get it?

We'll have to buy to get that.

Skipp is probably our only recognised DM now that Dier is a permanent centre back - but he's not a destroyer in the mould of Wanyama. He's more of a busy shield the back four, move across width of the pitch type screen who is comfortable receiving the ball from the defence, passing to the more creative players whilst not being afraid to put in a challenge.

XU2ynLB.png

Subs: Gazzaniga, Davies, Sessegnon, Sissoko, Skipp, Gedson, Lamela, Dele, Lucas

The lack of a ball winning DM is a major issue. The club's upward move coincided with signing Edgar Davids many moons back. Shame he was getting on.
Wilson P did a great job turning around a side on its way to relegation.
Wanyama was incredible, strong, technical, very fast; such a shame about the injury.
And if you ask a lot of old Spurs fans who was the most important player in the double side they will say Dave McKay.
I think the only way historically to achieve the Spurs ideal - winning in style - is to have a world class DM. Someone who wins the ball and sets up an attack within a couple of seconds. It also takes a lot of pressure off the defence - Toby and Jan looked world class when they had Wanyama infront of them. Not so much without.
And Skipp, Dier, etc are simply not in that mould.

I watched the Man U game. I watched half the WHU game. I watched none of the Sheff U game. I will not be watching another minute of this farce of a season.

VAR, biased pundits, behind closed doors, no crowds, politicalisation. It's shit. I won't be missing anything.

I'll wait til next season.

Back
Top Bottom