Tottenham Hotspur v. Internazionale (Home), 7 Mar 2013 20:05

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We beat one of the biggest clubs in the world and that's that, people can make any sort of excuses for them, I couldn't care less. Inter are a true giant of the the game and we toppled them 3-0.

It's like when we smashed Woolwich 5-1 and all the excuses came out. Couldn't care less, we beat them 5-1, end of story. Loved it like I loved it last night. That was one of our greatest ever European performances and AFAIK the best performance by an English club in Europe this season.

From today's Gazetta Dello Sport:

"All the odds pointed to Inter fighting an uphill battle last night and that's exactly what happened. Their 3-0 defeat at the hand of Tottenham, which more or less means they are out of the Europa League, still came as a bad blow. A blow to morale, because it reeked of inferiority and impotence. A blow to the body, because chasing the other team for ninety minutes as they had the ball and moved at twice the speed, without ever managing to keep possession, takes it out of you. A blow to hopes for the future, because team that have a project and will be winners are made like Spurs and not like the present Inter team. Their play was convincing, the terraces were packed and the atmosphere warm, they had a superstar like Bale who was surrounded by many other good players: that's Tottenham, the Inter we saw in London was a rather unconvincing group held together by plasters."

"SUPERSPURS — Granted, today's Inter is full of problems, and they have still managed to deal with other teams, but this Tottenham is ready to take up its place alongside the best in Europe. Handanovic alone managed to keep the score from becoming embarassing. He saved well from Defoe and Lennon, who both deserved to score. Bale isn't one of those primadonnas that don't live up to expectations, the Icelander Sigurdsson and Dembelé are two forces of nature, Parker would be the undisputed leader in midfield if he played for Inter. At the back they only made a couple of mistakes (the second time Palacio was stopped by Friedel), due to lack of concentration more than any thing else. Villas Boas has already won this cup and it looks very much like he could do it again."

What a lovely article. Was the english version available on their website? If they cover any more european stuff I might have to check them out more often.

I thought maybe Inter was deliberately tanking a la Harry last night so they could get eliminated and focus on the league, but that doesn't seem to be the post match sentiment. More Inter fan comments:
It's hard to argue with either the result or the obvious gulf in quality. It is a little tough to be smacked so sharply in the face with our numerous weaknesses. If anything, I think a result like this highlights how well we’ve covered for our deficiencies thus far this season. This is the first time I’ve felt we were genuinely out classed, which is kind of surprising considering it’s March.
Inter deservedly lose this game because Tottenham successfully exploited Inter's weaknesses better than Inter can hide them. It also didn't hurt that Tottenham has better players, are more physical, have less pressure on them and a deeper bench. In this case they had all the advantages and used them splendidly.
AVB, as some might remember, was declared incapable of coaching at the highest levels, and was too young, blah blah blah. Sound familiar? I don’t know, he seems to be doing a good job to me. This is a better club than I witnessed last time. It reminds me of a more European team, as opposed to an English team.
Inter deservedly lose away to the much more polished and refined London club in the first leg of their two game tie. The contrast of the two clubs was stark, as one looked about as in form as can be and the other incomplete.

I don't think for one moment Inter wanted to lose. Just watch if they take the lead in the first half at the San Siro how much they don't care.They're a massive club to lose in a major competition 3-0 is not something they would want. If for some bizarre reason they actually wanted that, then more fool them. But I don't bleieve that idea for a minute.

Even if Inter DID want to lose the game (I don't think they did), there is losing a game and then there is being made to look abject. There isn't a football team on the planet that would want to go out and be torn apart like they were last night.

You might give a goal but you don't make yourself look foolish in the process (unless your name is Martin Fulop!).

Thing is, they have a young coach who is under pressure, are 1 point off the last Italian CL spot, and are under financial duress. It wouldn't be outrageous to think they might, at least subconsciously, not mind having the extra fixtures.

To clarify I don't think Harry wanted to intentionally lose Europa games either, he just couldn't care less either way and prepared the team in a way that reflected that. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom