Tottenham Hotspur v. Internazionale (Home), 7 Mar 2013 20:05

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not that you can't teach old dogs new tricks, it just takes them a little longer for those new tricks to be learned. Brad has been coming off his line more and more every game he plays. It still makes it incredibly nervy because you just don't know if he is going to or not but he certainly tries to remember to in my opinon. A great second choice keeper for now but what about after his contract is up? Gomes? Or???

wow, just noticed Volkans Demirel will be out of contract this summer, were would he go. I allways rated him very highly. Will he stay in Turkey or will he move to an other club in Europe?

wow, just noticed Volkans Demirel will be out of contract this summer, were would he go. I allways rated him very highly. Will he stay in Turkey or will he move to an other club in Europe?
Not sure if he'd move to be behind Lloris.

I know, didn't say he would come to us or we would even need him. And I'm 100 percent sure he wouldn't make a move over to us to be benched.
Apologies- presumption was based on the previous comments on the thread. I think it will depend on whether or not UEFA ban Fenerbahçe from Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huang_Jianxiang

World Cup Commentary 2006 Incident

[edit] The incident

On June 26, 2006, during the FIFA World Cup match between Italy and Australia, as the on-field commentator of CCTV, Huang Jianxiang unexpectedly revealed his pro-Italian bias in an anti-Australian rant while commentating on the last minutes of a live match broadcast to many millions in China.[1][2] This commentary has been compared to Bjørge Lillelien's "Your boys took one hell of a beating". He shouted himself hoarse in the process, and celebrated the Socceroos' exit from the Cup:
... "Penalty! Penalty! Penalty! Grosso's done it! Grosso's done it! Don't give the Australians any chance."
... "The great Italian left back! He succeeded in the glorious traditions of Italy! Facchetti, Cabrini and Maldini, their souls are infused in him at this moment! Grosso represents the long history and traditions of Italian soccer; he's not fighting alone at this moment! He's not alone!!"
... "Totti, Totti is facing the spot kick. He is facing the expectations from Italian soccer fans all over the world."
... "Schwarzer has saved two spot kicks in the World Cup qualifying tournaments, both of these were during the playoffs of the world cup qualification. Totti should have known this. Will he still be able to face the man in front of him with a smile? How about his expression after 10 seconds?"
... "Goooooal! Game over! Italy win! Beat the Socceroos! They do not fall in front of Hiddink again! Italy the great! Italian left back the great! Long live Italy! Happy birthday to Maldini!! Forza Italia!!"
... "He didn't let the Italians down. This penalty kick was an absolute one-off! Absolute one-off! Italy have made the final eight!"
... "The victory belongs to Italy, to Grosso, to Cannavaro, to Zambrotta, to Buffon, to Maldini, to everyone who loves Italian soccer!!"
... "The hell with them!" (Background voice)
... "The Socceroos might regret, Hiddink! He played too conservatively and too calmly with one more player (than Italy) in the second half, he lost all his courage. Faced with the long history and traditions of Italian soccer, he didn't attack as fiercely as he did in the group matches. He finally reaped fruits which he had sown! They should go home. They don't need to go as far away as Australia as most of them are living in Europe. Farewell!"
Cheers for that - ridiculous bias obviously.

He is a cracking shot stopper, but personally, I would rather we have someone a little more dynamic and similar to Lloris as a backup. I've nothing against Friedel, he was Immense last year. But it's more logical to have a like for like replacement in the wings if your first choice is unavailable. Obviously we aren't going to have someone of Hugo's quality willing to sit on the bench all the time and wait in the wings, but maybe a young keeper under Lloris' wing being developed next season with Friedel moving into a coaching role.

Agreed of course, by no means is he a long term back up to Lloris. I just think that considering he is coming to the end of his career, the fact that he is out there working on and developing his game to fit in with the 'new regime' shows a massive commitment to the cause and he'll have my total (if a little nervy) support.

He's Spurs and he knows he is...

:brad:

I think AVB starts with Defoe tonight. Defoe is fit again and, looking at the interview posted earlier, really positive and raring to go. He's looking to take his chance to be the starter again. AVB has kept faith with Adebayor, giving him his backing and hoping he will refind his touch and confidence. Unless he feels that with just a little more time and faith Adebayor will come right, I reckon he will decide to go with Defoe's vim and vigour.

Also, with what is looking like it might be a weakened Inter defense, Defoe's movement and eagerness for goal could really spook the young replacements. We're not playing that long get-out ball that Adebayor used to brilliantly hold up and bring the on-rushing midfield into play because well, Ade is not holding the ball up is he?

I think AVB starts with Defoe tonight. Defoe is fit again and, looking at the interview posted earlier, really positive and raring to go. He's looking to take his chance to be the starter again. AVB has kept faith with Adebayor, giving him his backing and hoping he will refind his touch and confidence. Unless he feels that with just a little more time and faith Adebayor will come right, I reckon he will decide to go with Defoe's vim and vigour.

Also, with what is looking like it might be a weakened Inter defense, Defoe's movement and eagerness for goal could really spook the young replacements. We're not playing that long get-out ball that Adebayor used to brilliantly hold up and bring the on-rushing midfield into play because well, Ade is not holding the ball up is he?
Also Ade is injured.

Different situation imo, I expected him to be benched at first, not that long though. But fair point!
Fair enough, I won't have an argument on this. But let's just I think he was benched for wayyyyyy toooooo long. But I agree, different situation. I just couldn't resist throwing one in, as they say over here. I'll never get over the Friedel Lloris rows, in fact I'm still in 'read only' mode on another site because of them. Which is just as well, because I've still got plenty to say to the people I fell out with over the matter.:)

Back
Top Bottom