Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Potential being the operative word. Potential isn't a guarantor. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and it could just be that this crop of players just don't go well together, or maybe need Modric stye player to make them tick. Seems strange that both AVB and Weasel seem to be having some of the same problems. It will be interesting to see if LvG has those problems as well.
you might even think that our hole is Moutinho-sized?

th
th

Alan Pardew……………That annoying duck?
He should do audio books - really enjoy the mellowness of his voice

Potential being the operative word. Potential isn't a guarantor. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and it could just be that this crop of players just don't go well together, or maybe need Modric stye player to make them tick. Seems strange that both AVB and Weasel seem to be having some of the same problems. It will be interesting to see if LvG has those problems as well.

Some of our players clearly have alot of talent, Eriksen, Paulinho, Chirches look as individuals shit hot, but as you say we are not operating as a team. It might be the management but I think the fundermental reason is the fact we have players coming and going all the time, if you look at when Chelsea and Man City many seasons ago bought 5-6 players the following season they looked awful, a bunch of indivdual who looked like strangers, it took Man City a good two seasons to really get their stars playing as a unit. I am not saying we are as strong as Man City, but we do have one of the strongest squads on paper in the league. If we buy another striker and maybe another defender I can't really see us needing to strengthen much more, we need stability more than anything else.

Some of our players clearly have alot of talent, Eriksen, Paulinho, Chirches look as individuals shit hot, but as you say we are not operating as a team. It might be the management but I think the fundermental reason is the fact we have players coming and going all the time, if you look at when Chelsea and Man City many seasons ago bought 5-6 players the following season they looked awful, a bunch of indivdual who looked like strangers, it took Man City a good two seasons to really get their stars playing as a unit. I am not saying we are as strong as Man City, but we do have one of the strongest squads on paper in the league. If we buy another striker and maybe another defender I can't really see us needing to strengthen much more, we need stability more than anything else.
I agree, but I do think a midfield playmaker is needed. Hoping that maybe Paulinho gets better and fills that role.

I agree, but I do think a midfield playmaker is needed. Hoping that maybe Paulinho gets better and fills that role.

Paulinho is not really a defensive player, I hope we have a system that allows him to play as a number 10 of sorts behind Ade with Erisken coming in off the left, Paulinho unlike Sandro is a typical Brazilian and he needs the freedom to play his game. Our sqaud suits a 4-2-3-1 formation, my big worry for Soldado is that he cannot play as a lone striker and I don't think our future is 4-4-2. We may have to make some painfully decisions in the summer.

U did also say he could fill that role...
No, I didn't. I said the opposite. I said there was presently nobody to fill that role. I was simply suggesting that because of his position on the field it was be nice if his game developed as time went on. I am neither saying that this will 100% happen or that it is certain he is capable of it and my comment could equally apply to other midfielders who occupy a central role. My concern is that I just don't see us wedging out on a midfield general so it's a case of seeing what is possible with what we presently have.

I get your drift though...good news for us that we have eriksen....holtby too
Great players to have, but, again, at present they aren't player who can dictate play and link everything together. Much as I said for Paulinho, if these players can develop their game and become a Modric style player then great. But at the moment these are all ifs and buts, and that's what's bothering me.

Paulinho is not really a defensive player, I hope we have a system that allows him to play as a number 10 of sorts behind Ade with Erisken coming in off the left, Paulinho unlike Sandro is a typical Brazilian and he needs the freedom to play his game. Our sqaud suits a 4-2-3-1 formation, my big worry for Soldado is that he cannot play as a lone striker and I don't think our future is 4-4-2. We may have to make some painfully decisions in the summer.
I think getting rid of Soldado would be a mistake unless we stick with Timothy after the summer, who clearly doesn't know what to do with him. Soldado hasn't turned into shit overnight. I reckon a skilled manager like LvG could get him firing.

It's odd with us lot,...
Many will kneejerk the season away in September if we're not Top by 10 clear points (an extreme example, I realise)
But at what point of the season CAN we accept we ARE in the mix?
Fuck me, people are still talking about Man Utd putting a run together and challenging for 4th, so if THEY'RE in the mix......
Not saying we should start planning our trips to the Nou Camp or Allianz Arena JUST yet, but fuck me we're IN THERE with at least 3 other teams!

It may be desperately 'un-Spursy',... But it's no crime if we allow ourselves to start enjoying it!!!

Right now. (Until we lose tonight). Then we are relegation fodder.

No, I didn't. I said the opposite. I said there was presently nobody to fill that role. I was simply suggesting that because of his position on the field it was be nice if his game developed as time went on. I am neither saying that this will 100% happen or that it is certain he is capable of it and my comment could equally apply to other midfielders who occupy a central role. My concern is that I just don't see us wedging out on a midfield general so it's a case of seeing what is possible with what we presently have.

Great players to have, but, again, at present they aren't player who can dictate play and link everything together. Much as I said for Paulinho, if these players can develop their game and become a Modric style player then great. But at the moment these are all ifs and buts, and that's what's bothering me.

I no what you mean and we do need one, although they are rare...

Confusion lay in the fact u said attacking midfielder, a position a modric type player certainly wouldn't play...

I think getting rid of Soldado would be a mistake unless we stick with Timothy after the summer, who clearly doesn't know what to do with him. Soldado hasn't turned into shit overnight. I reckon a skilled manager like LvG could get him firing.

Im inclined to think he isnt shit, he just isnt suitable.

He doesnt work the lone striker role here well enough, shows some real class in flashes but constantly looks a fish out of water. I think its the pace and physicality personally. Lone strikers in England are rarely built like Soldado are they?

Im a big fan of his, Ive always enjoyed watching him and belive he is a player of real quality - but it always seemed odd that we went for him - particularly following strong interest in Benteke who would fit the bill much more naturally.

I can well see him moving on in the summer. Hopefully his stock is still high in Spain and we dont lose too much financially.

Pauli's a lot of things but playmaker is not one of them...

Oh please, remember that game (can't remember which one now, but still under AVB) where Paulinho did get to play #10 behind Soldado? He picked out some really beautiful passes that game. He could play that part for sure.

EDIT: Just as recent as against Stoke - look at the little flicks he was up to! Come on!
OffensiveNaturalHornedviper.gif

UnsightlyPettyHamster.gif

Back
Top Bottom