Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (28-09-19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Never been so happy to win ugly. That’s much more important to us than what if it wasn’t for the sending off could have been a 4-0 or 5-0 stroll like Crystal Palace.

Massive 3 points, fairly confident that we will win the next 2 league games as well; Brighton away and Watford at home, wouldn't even be that surprised if we manage to get a point at Anfield next month.

I think goal difference is a highly underrated statistic when it comes to predicting where a team might finish.

We have the third best GD in the league currently and I always find that GD is a pretty reliable indicator of league position, despite our terrible form recently we still look like the third best team (on paper.)

OK, Like I said, using your sample size where Eriksen and Sissoko's tackle rates are almost identical, does that mean Eriksen is as brave or Sissoko or Sissoko is a bottler like Eriksen?

I applaud how disingenuous you are because for someone that writes a lot you seem to disregard everything other than pure stats. Eriksen isn’t labelled a bottler for not being able to tackle, he is labelled a bottler because he pussies out of challenges he is a favourite to win. If he nicks the ball from a dawdling CM on the half way line he’s not exactly going to win a bravery award. This is why stats don’t prove most arguments.

Trippier made the most tackles by far out of any Spurs player last season. Does that make him the best defender? Is he the most brave? It probably means his side was targeted because he was the weak link. It’s also completely different tackling a winger with all the skill in the world vs tackling a CM with the technical ability of say Sissoko.

The point as always is you try and use stats for your agenda but 90% of this forum just laugh at you because they use their own eyes and see that it proves nothing.

Massive 3 points, fairly confident that we will win the next 2 league games as well; Brighton away and Watford at home, wouldn't even be that surprised if we manage to get a point at Anfield next month.
giphy.gif

I applaud how disingenuous you are because for someone that writes a lot you seem to disregard everything other than pure stats. Eriksen isn’t labelled a bottler for not being able to tackle, he is labelled a bottler because he pussies out of challenges he is a favourite to win. If he nicks the ball from a dawdling CM on the half way line he’s not exactly going to win a bravery award. This is why stats don’t prove most arguments.

Trippier made the most tackles by far out of any Spurs player last season. Does that make him the best defender? Is he the most brave? It probably means his side was targeted because he was the weak link. It’s also completely different tackling a winger with all the skill in the world vs tackling a CM with the technical ability of say Sissoko.

The point as always is you try and use stats for your agenda but 90% of this forum just laugh at you because they use their own eyes and see that it proves nothing.

Nibble nibble nibble

I've learned 2 things from this game. 10 men without Aurier play better than 11 with him. We simply don't have a RB.! It would be a huge mistake not to buy one in January. After watching the early game, I still say as I have before, we should try to buy George Baldock. He's excellent and if we strike while the iron's hot, he won't be expensive and will fill a gaping hole.
The 2nd thing I've learned today is we should always start Lamela. The guy has a great touch, good vision and plays his heart out. He's so often involved in the build up to a goal.
We got 3 points but the play really wasn't exciting or particularly interesting. Gutsy though. Love to have Ward-Prowse in our midfield.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom