Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Holtby and Capoue both played in this game...

Etienne Capoue played the first 45 minutes against Brighton today, along with Lewis #THFC pic.twitter.com/o4A4HYbMPb

Lewis Holtby was in action today as our Spurs XI drew with Brighton #THFC pic.twitter.com/yuLRlWorCo

SPURS XI 2-2 BRIGHTON

Lewis Holtby and Etienne Capoue both saw action as our Spurs XI drew 2-2 with Brighton & Hove Albion in a training ground friendly on Monday.

The midfield duo played the first 45 minutes along with Jon Obika, who made his return up front following an injury lay-off.

Holtby and Ryan Fredericks both went close with solo efforts – Lewis forcing the Brighton goalkeeper to tip the ball onto the bar – before Brighton’s Brennan Dickenson tested goalkeeper Jordan Archer with a free-kick mid-way through the first period.

The visitors took the lead on 28 minutes when Shamir Goodwin won the ball in a central position and fired home from just inside the box, but we were level seven minutes later when Holtby played the ball in to the feet of Obika, whose deft flick set Darren McQueen in behind the defence to round the goalkeeper and roll the ball home.

Shaq Coulthirst forced the Brighton keeper to tip the ball onto the post on 43 minutes, but Albion regained the lead just before the interval when Emil Asmundsson swept home after a defensive mishap.

Substitute Souleymane Coulibaly went close with a right-footed shot in the second period, while later on Archer was quickly off his line to make a fine save from a tight angle as Brighton went on the counter-attack.

We levelled the scores four minutes from time as Ruben Lameiras beat his man and fired inside the far post.

Spurs XI: Archer, Fredericks, Smith, Veljkovic, Gallifuoco, Holtby (Lameiras 46), Ward, Capoue (McEneff 46), Obika (Coulibaly 46), Coulthirst, D McQueen.

When it was 1-0 graham le Saux said that Soldado and Ade didn't look like they could link up together. Seriously- you can't make this stuff up.

I would really love tv coverage without commentary.

Beyond Soldado's cross to Ade - were there any other stand out moments of interplay between the 2?

I think Soldado sort of passed to Ade for the 3rd, but I don't remember much else in the way of link up play.

But - I do believe that the more they play together - then that understanding will come, and flourish.

Holtby and Capoue both played in this game...

Etienne Capoue played the first 45 minutes against Brighton today, along with Lewis #THFC pic.twitter.com/o4A4HYbMPb

Lewis Holtby was in action today as our Spurs XI drew with Brighton #THFC pic.twitter.com/yuLRlWorCo

SPURS XI 2-2 BRIGHTON

Lewis Holtby and Etienne Capoue both saw action as our Spurs XI drew 2-2 with Brighton & Hove Albion in a training ground friendly on Monday.

The midfield duo played the first 45 minutes along with Jon Obika, who made his return up front following an injury lay-off.

Holtby and Ryan Fredericks both went close with solo efforts – Lewis forcing the Brighton goalkeeper to tip the ball onto the bar – before Brighton’s Brennan Dickenson tested goalkeeper Jordan Archer with a free-kick mid-way through the first period.

The visitors took the lead on 28 minutes when Shamir Goodwin won the ball in a central position and fired home from just inside the box, but we were level seven minutes later when Holtby played the ball in to the feet of Obika, whose deft flick set Darren McQueen in behind the defence to round the goalkeeper and roll the ball home.

Shaq Coulthirst forced the Brighton keeper to tip the ball onto the post on 43 minutes, but Albion regained the lead just before the interval when Emil Asmundsson swept home after a defensive mishap.

Substitute Souleymane Coulibaly went close with a right-footed shot in the second period, while later on Archer was quickly off his line to make a fine save from a tight angle as Brighton went on the counter-attack.

We levelled the scores four minutes from time as Ruben Lameiras beat his man and fired inside the far post.

Spurs XI: Archer, Fredericks, Smith, Veljkovic, Gallifuoco, Holtby (Lameiras 46), Ward, Capoue (McEneff 46), Obika (Coulibaly 46), Coulthirst, D McQueen.

Where's Bale Jr?

Beyond Soldado's cross to Ade - were there any other stand out moments of interplay between the 2?

I think Soldado sort of passed to Ade for the 3rd, but I don't remember much else in the way of link up play.

But - I do believe that the more they play together - then that understanding will come, and flourish.

Adebayor put Soldado through twice but he missed both......

Thats right there was not that many, I thought the same but the good thing is I think Ade knows the kind of player Soldado is and will only get more prominent, its basically the fact that with defenders being pulled out to take care of Ade, suddenly Soldado has some space to run into at long last and may even get a good ball like he did yesterday - we live in hope!

It would appear not - because we won and scored 3 goals in a game for the first time this season.
Fear of failure is fear of trying to succeed. I like the principle of scoring more than the opposition, and if we win 5-4 or 3-2 its better than bringing on the bus drivers to secure a 2-2.

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees

and all that good stuff.

No?

Not like that, not for me.

Like you I want to score more, I want to spank teams ridiculously. I also want to know we do it from a position of strength and not out of desperation - knowing if we dont get 3 or 4 we are likely to lose.

Exciting as that was back in the 90s I honestly dont miss it.

Under Harry, and at times under AVB, showing the intent to score, believing we can get more goals all the time, while knowing we are tight at the back was the ideal for me.

A balance between attack and defence. Ok, maybe off centre toward the attack - but certainly not swinging all they way that way!

I think they had a part to play in Rose's goal / Own goal. The ball was played long up to Soldado who held it, laid it off to Ade (I think) who then put in Rose down the wing.

Not 100% of that may need a bit of help. But it wasn't just the Ade / Soldado combination which worked good, it was their link up play with the advancing midfielder. Also, that Ade has a bit of pace on him doesn't he!?

Where's Bale Jr?

SEND IN THE CLONE!
0.jpg

Last XI match he was in looks to have been on 1st October, so maybe he's injured?

(or struggling with flights back from Madrid just for academy games? :baletroll:)

The fact that it did might suggest I wasnt alone in thinking there were issues?

We are too attacking under Tim, in so much as defense seems less than an after thought. If he could tighten up the midfield and still get us to attack with that same freedom Id think he was fucking amazing.
after the shite we've put up with so far this season I'm gonna enjoy this "kamikaze" football for as long as it lasts

What I saw, was less interplay between the two, more both creating trouble and stretching Soton's poor back line. They were all over the shop and I don't think it's coincidence that it was because of boths clever movement.

Not like that, not for me.

Like you I want to score more, I want to spank teams ridiculously. I also want to know we do it from a position of strength and not out of desperation - knowing if we dont get 3 or 4 we are likely to lose.

Exciting as that was back in the 90s I honestly dont miss it.

Under Harry, and at times under AVB, showing the intent to score, believing we can get more goals all the time, while knowing we are tight at the back was the ideal for me.

A balance between attack and defence. Ok, maybe off centre toward the attack - but certainly not swinging all they way that way!
I didn't say that I like to see us concede, and I would love to see us have a brilliant and impenetrable defence.
But, I want to see a bit of attacking brio, a desire to try to attack, rather than a defence heavy midfield that doesn't possess the gumption or desire to attack to score goals.
Which ever way you look at it, its one or the other - and we just had a season and a half of the other (less Bales irrepressible desire to attack and shoot) so I'm happy to see a lighter weight midfield based around Eriksen, with an emphasis on move the ball towards the oppositions goal, not simply retain possession until the opposition falls asleep.
How does that Blanchflower quote go?
"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It's about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Mind you - I would have played the LEFT footed Holtby on the left, rather than the club footed Sigurdsson.

I didn't say that I like to see us concede, and I would love to see us have a brilliant and impenetrable defence.
But, I want to see a bit of attacking brio, a desire to try to attack, rather than a defence heavy midfield that doesn't possess the gumption or desire to attack to score goals.

Absolutely, cant argue there at all.

Which ever way you look at it, its one or the other - and we just had a season and a half of the other (less Bales irrepressible desire to attack and shoot) so I'm happy to see a lighter weight midfield based around Eriksen, with an emphasis on move the ball towards the oppositions goal, not simply retain possession until the opposition falls asleep.

But its not. Harrys side set defensive records for us, was it a defensive team? Its about the balance between the two for me. Ill agree happily that AVB was clear too far up the defensive end of the spectrum, but also think so far Sherwood is too far up the attacking.

What I would like is a return to being defensively resolute, while playing with attacking intent. We dont have to have the best defense around, but these last couple games defending has been virtually thrown out of the window!

But its not. Harrys side set defensive records for us, was it a defensive team? Its about the balance between the two for me. Ill agree happily that AVB was clear too far up the defensive end of the spectrum, but also think so far Sherwood is too far up the attacking.

What I would like is a return to being defensively resolute, while playing with attacking intent. We dont have to have the best defense around, but these last couple games defending has been virtually thrown out of the window!

Hmm - but we don't have a Ledley any more........

Back
Top Bottom