Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Naughton. I know he isnt great, but I know he will do a job and has the experience of this level.

Fryers is a comlpete shot in the dark, based on less than impressive games played at half the pace. He simply isnt ready.

The biggest problem with playing Vertonghen LB, aside from the fact we lack a proper LB, is that he doesnt then play CB.

Id rather not take Chiriches or Kaboul away from CB as well if I could help it.

[crazyideatime] I think I'd almost rather see Townsend at LB over Naughton or Fryers - Naughton, for me is a RB and Fryers although talented is still a bit 'raw' for the PL in my onion.

We've been missing a LB who can bomb down to the line at times since Rose's injury, and I think Townsend has the strength and ability to play there - an obvious concern would be over committing himself and leaving us short on the counter, but playing Chadli on the left could help combat that as I felt he was very good defensively against united.

Probably not a good idea to try this for the first time away at Sunderland mind... :avbshit:[/crazyideatime]

Either way I would really like to see Jan back in central defence soon, hopefully his knock isn't too serious.

Last edited:
Sunderland are not going to just roll over either. They did extremely well and showed great fighting spirit to claw back to a more respectable 4-3 loss against a strong chelsea side.

[crazyideatime] I think I'd almost rather see Townsend at LB over Naughton or Fryers - Naughton, for me is a RB and Fryers although talented is still a bit 'raw' for the PL in my onion.

We've been missing a LB who can bomb down to the line at times since Rose's injury, and I think Townsend has the strength and ability to play there - an obvious concern would be over committing himself and leaving us short on the counter, but playing Chadli on the left could help combat that as I felt he was very good defensively against united.

Probably not a good idea to try this for the first time away at Sunderland mind... :avbshit:[/crazyideatime]

Either way I would really like to see Jan back in central defence soon, hopefully his knock isn't too serious.

You arent the first to suggest it, and Im not against it to be honest. It will provide natural width on the left. Might require 2 x DM like yesterday though, I wouldnt feel comfortable relying on Townsends defensive qualities alone.

As you say perhaps not for a tricky away game but its worth a go at some point IMO

From what I know Vlad wouldn't be a good idea at LB, then again I don't know an awful lot about these matters.

It'll be fascinating to see what happens if Jan does miss the Sunderland game, which I think he will. Like Lister I reckon it will be Naughton, which is not ideal to say the least.

Really expecting 3 pts here but Sunderland are desperate and their home form is improving. Still...shouldn't matter. Got to get the tree points and close some gaps.

Really want to see Holtby get the start, gotta let that German Terrier destroy their defenders with his speed and veracity. Playing Lamela on the right should be a priority- I know AVB loves to swap his inverted wingers but part of me wants Lamela playing his style of game before any true tinkering takes place. That being said, Lennon as a true winger on the left getting service into Soldado is a must. Townsend as an impact sub.

2-0

Got bored with this thread...went to watch the highlights of the match...end up also watching the highlights of Suarez's four goals and having nightmares about Spurs defense and wondering why we're even bothering talking about FRYERS, ffs! :eek: and why the fuck the roster wasn't different for Fulham if Liverpool is Saturday?! :eek:..and...and... It has been a long night at work switching to night shift, just remembering it's actually going to be Sunderland first.
:paulinhofacepalm:
:eriksenlol:

Think we should play the same team that played utd, if verts out play Fryers, don't see any point in Naughton playing left back, he was atrocious against Hull, out muscled, and out of his depth.

Fryers IS a left back... Jan/Naughton are merely 'prepared to play there' (and not even 'prepared to' in Jan's case!!)
Surely that's gotta count for summit??
Yes he's young, but he's gotta get his chance at some point... Fergie obviously rated him... so why not give him a go in his favoured position, allowing Jan to recover, whilst letting Naughton THINK about what he's done!

yprQu36.gif

cNxwzVB.png
Ok "touché" …..Scum, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, have all played there and won. City were 8th or 9th when they lost there and we were sitting above them in the league. Look at things now and we have yet to play Sunderland.
You win this battle my friend but Spurs need to win the battle at Sunderland.

Why can't we get disco benny back to play at left back.
walker - kaboul - vlad - bae
looks a fuck load better than other other back 4 we currently have at our disposal.

He has? When?

Im not sure a couple of "meh" performances against Europa pub sides is enough to get a start away in the premier league in a game we have to win...

Zeki was shocking in Norway.

Will be lone before I forget the sight of him being played in behind the defence by Chadli, stand over the ball at the byline, wait full seconds just watching the ball, let the fullback catch up with him and then square it back to a teammate.

If it's between Naughton and Fryers this weekend, Naughton is so very obviously the better choice, if still not very good.

Back
Top Bottom