Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

no no no no.. no Dawson.
I'm quite happy if Daws plays v Sunderland. I think he needs a rest, but Kab is still unconvincing at times. I probably would go for Kab in this one, but if Daws plays I don't think he'll let us down.

I wouldn't play Cap, as he didn't look right v Fulham, but again if it is to be, I don't think he'll let us down.

Lloris
Walker Dawson/Kab Chiriches Naughton
Dembele Holtby Townsend Lamela/Defoe/Lennon Paulinho Soldado

is my feeling ATM

I leave the formation to AVB :)

Last edited:
Sunderland are going to be up for it even more than Fulham. Given the result last night though I really do think our team's going to go in to the game with a bag full of confidence though. Going to be tougher than Fulham imo

Same team with Holtby, Kaboul and Naughton in please. Wouldn't mind seeing Dembele come in as well for Paulinho. Fingers crossed this is the last game Rose is out for, presuming he's still out. I think Defoe had quite a good game against Fulham to be honest, he was unlucky not to score, I still think he'll stick with Soldado though.

Fingers crossed Lamela starts too :avbpray:

Last edited:
What i'd like to see:

[formation="343, Lloris, Kaboul, Dawson, Chiriches, Walker, Sandro, Dembele, Townsend, Lamela, Soldado, Chadli"][/formation]

Well it doesn't appear this is working.... The team I'd like to see:
Lloris
Kaboul - Dawson - Chiriches
Walker - Sandro - Dembele - Townsend
Lamela - Soldado - Chadli

What I expect to see:

[formation="4231, Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Chiriches, Naughton, Sandro, Dembele, Lennon, Holtby, Lamela, Soldado"][/formation]

Last edited:
Lloris
Walker Chiriches Vertonghen Townsend
Sandro Dembele
Lennon Holtby Lamela
Defoe

Sunderland will put a lot of pressure on us, so I want us to go for swift counter attacks. Walker & Lennon; Townsend & Lamela; Holtby & Defoe; Dembele and Sandro driving the midfield... these combinations would work well. Inverted wingers to be used only on occasions please.

A
What i'd like to see:

[formation="343, Lloris, Kaboul, Dawson, Chiriches, Walker, Sandro, Dembele, Townsend, Lamela, Soldado, Chadli"][/formation]

Well it doesn't appear this is working.... The team I'd like to see:
Lloris
Kaboul - Dawson - Chiriches
Walker - Sandro - Dembele - Townsend
Lamela - Soldado - Chadli

What I expect to see:

[formation="4231, Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Chiriches, Naughton, Sandro, Dembele, Lennon, Holtby, Lamela, Soldado"][/formation]
You don't need IT to pick the side, do what AVB does, pick the side out of a hat?

Fryers IS a left back... Jan/Naughton are merely 'prepared to play there' (and not even 'prepared to' in Jan's case!!)
Surely that's gotta count for summit??
Yes he's young, but he's gotta get his chance at some point... Fergie obviously rated him... so why not give him a go in his favoured position, allowing Jan to recover, whilst letting Naughton THINK about what he's done!

Perhaps play Chadli in front of him as from what I saw he wasn't shy about tracking back and helping his full back out. Lennon is pretty strong at that also to be fair.

Never mind what team were going to put out there, what we need to be aware of are the threat from crosses by full backs and wingers, set pieces especially corners from the Maccams.

Since Poyet's arrival Jozy Altidore has had a new lease of life and has been winning free kick's in the attacking half for fun. Phil Bardsley is playing like his football career has had a shot of growth hormones and Wes Brown & John O'Shea look like they should be back at United.

Their goals against Chavs all came from set pieces. Jozy Altidore left footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Jack Colback following a set piece situation. Phil Bardsley left footed shot from very close range to the centre of the goal following a corner and John O'Shea, right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner following a corner.

Before this they had two games without any goals both away from home but it's obvious the Stadium of light is where they will be trying to get the majority of their points. If we get a victory, considering we aren't playing our best football we would have done well but only through determination, team spirit and sensible tactics are we going to get a result. On paper we should win but Sunderland are at the foot of the table, they are already in survival mode.

At the same time at the other end, Woolwich, Chelsea, City and Everton and sometimes Liverpool are playing Champions League qualifying standard football.

There's more pressure this season than any other because of money. Either money to be gained or money lost, the stakes is high!!

Really expecting 3 pts here but Sunderland are desperate and their home form is improving. Still...shouldn't matter. Got to get the tree points and close some gaps.

Really want to see Holtby get the start, gotta let that German Terrier destroy their defenders with his speed and veracity. Playing Lamela on the right should be a priority- I know AVB loves to swap his inverted wingers but part of me wants Lamela playing his style of game before any true tinkering takes place. That being said, Lennon as a true winger on the left getting service into Soldado is a must. Townsend as an impact sub.

2-0

Lennon as a true winger on the left? That was the worst part of the game against Fulham, Lennon should be on the right. I know Lamela is supposed to be best on the right, cutting in, but in all honesty, he also looked better once they swapped wings and it was Lamela on the left, Lennon on the right.

I have no doubt Lamela can do the business on the right, but I feat Lennon's ability is compromised if he's played out of position (on the left).

@ Lister Lister weren't you going on about having the best player for the system rather than the best player out of position? Surely fryers would fit your logic? Who's to say the "rookie" doesn't have a "Danny rose on his premier league debut" kind of game?
IIRC Rose scored his goal and then got substituted because he was getting turned over. Goal aside, which was probably a fluke, it wasn't a great performance

IIRC Rose scored his goal and then got substituted because he was getting turned over. Goal aside, which was probably a fluke, it wasn't a great performance

I remeber at the time taking a kicking for suggesting, goal aside, he was really quite poor.

The goal was a stunner though!

I'd say Dawson would actually be MORE suited against a team (and more to the point a ground/crowd) like Sunderland... it feels as close to 'old English' atmosphere as you can get in a new stadium, and whilst Dawson might come unstuck against a much cleverer striker like Suarez in a week or so, I'd like to think he can cope with what Sunderland have to throw at him... I doubt he'd be phased by the atmosphere, and it might be a good experience for Chiriches to have Daws next to him for a couple more games at least... before we really test him by forging a longer-term understanding with either Kaboul or Jan (once he comes back into the centre of defence!)

Back
Top Bottom