Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only deluded fan will start Ndombele ahead of Sissoko as DM, the guy can’t defend and doesn’t want to.
Finally somebody else sees it!

Ndombele has been one of the main reasons our midfield has resembled swiss cheese and sides are getting in on our defence, he has no engine and no defensive capability whatsoever.
He has some attacking merit but if he starts it needs to be further forwards behind the front two and we need another holding player in front of the back 4. They have no protection whatsoever this season

Sissoko can’t really defend either. None of them can. The only real solution at the moment is just to have numbers in the middle, at least then we can cover the spaces, assuming the players are ready to run around.

If you look at what the scousers are doing, they are playing a very combative midfield of Wijnaldum, Fabinho and Milner/Henderson in front of their defence and leaving the front 3 of Firminho, Mane and Salah to do all of the creative stuff.
This is what makes them so solid and why they win the ball back so quickly.

We should be trying to emulate this with the players we have.

I'd go with something like;
Gazza
Foyth - Jan - Toby - Davies
Dier - Sissoko - Winks
Lucas - Kane - Son

if nothing else this will thicken it up a bit in the middle, stop shipping goals and chances and rely on the talent of the front three to get us a goal or two.

Sissoko can’t really defend either. None of them can. The only real solution at the moment is just to have numbers in the middle, at least then we can cover the spaces, assuming the players are ready to run around.
Don't agree, I think Sissoko's defensive work is decent and goes unheralded when he is playing centrally, he is very mobile, physical and a good engine.

Don't agree, I think Sissoko's defensive work is decent and goes unheralded when he is playing centrally, he is very mobile, physical and a good engine.

He works hard but he's always chasing back and trying to recover, he doesn't read the game. He's not a defensively-minded player who senses danger, intercepts the ball and breaks up play. He's just a good athlete who is willing to run all the way back and make a tackle when someone has gone past him.

Sandro, Parker, Dier, Wanyama, when they were in their prime these guys were serious defensive midfielders. They protected the team and stopped attacks before they could happen. Sissoko does not stop attacks from happening he just tries to stop them resulting in a goal.

OK... we need to stop fucking about here... even with the apparent 'crisis' at Spurs, the players are still grown ups, capable of putting in a performance worthy of winning a football match!

Their ability hasn't suddenly deserted them, belief and mental strength might be fragile, but that can be remidied by EVERYONE pulling together, NOT feeling sorry for themselves, and not looking to January... there are still 2 and a half months (and a dozen or so games) before that happens... PLENTY of time to show the players give a shit about their OWN reputation and their careers.
Surely it's better for them in their immediate future to be regarded as a winning player... regardless of what club they currently represent!

Sandro, Parker, Dier, Wanyama, when they were in their prime these guys were serious defensive midfielders.
We don't have such players now, Sissoko is the best we have and have to live with, I like the guy, he gives 100% no fuss. He can run forward too with power and pace. Only if he could finish them but has few assists this season.
I will repeat for the last time just for you, Ndombele can't and doesn't want to defend, he can't run. His pos is AM.
You may add Modric to your above list.

Last edited:
By the time this kicks off my blood should be about 97% Guinness because I will have been in the pub early doors and will either be celebrating or commiserating with my Irish mates following the rugby match with New Zealand. (Have a feeling it will be the latter).
Being in such a condition should act as an anaesthetic should the worst happen and we only draw or God forbid..lose. Never, ever imagined I would be so nervous about this squad facing Watford at home. Sad, sad sign of the times. I want at least 4-0 (desperately need a clean sheet) just to put back a semblance of confidence before the Anfield game.
Anything less than 3pts is inexcusable regardless of team formation or player selection. Tottenham Hotspur Vs Watford should be a guaranteed home win and Poch would have some tough explaining to do if we suffer yet another defeat.
Keep the faith people.....
:coys:

Gazza
KWP Dav Jan Davies
Sissoko Ndombele
Lucas Dele Son
Kane

No more Eriksen starting please.
No more Aurier please.
Toby- take a seat for awhile.

We should be able to at least draw this- so long as Poch doesn't totally blow it via team selection, tactics or subs.

We don't have such players now, Sissoko is the best we have and have to live with, I like the guy, he gives 100% no fuss. He can run forward too with power and pace. Only if he could finish them but has few assists this season.
I will repeat for the last time just for you, Ndombele can't and doesn't want to defend, he can't run. His pos is AM.
You may add Modric to your above list.

Well yeah, I agree Ndombele has been horrendous off the ball. Waking around, no intensity to close down the ball, when we are out of possession he doesn't exist.

Really our midfield is a complete mess and it's difficult to understand what our plan was this summer. Aside from Lo Celso, Fernandes and Ndombele we weren't linked with anyone would could replace Dier or Wanyama. It's hard to tell what type of team Poch is trying to build. The two best in the league play with 3 powerful midfielders at all time (Liverpool) or one true defensive midfielder with at least 2 hard working creative midfielders in front of him (City). We don't have any structure or balance at all.

Well yeah, I agree Ndombele has been horrendous off the ball. Waking around, no intensity to close down the ball, when we are out of possession he doesn't exist.

Really our midfield is a complete mess and it's difficult to understand what our plan was this summer. Aside from Lo Celso, Fernandes and Ndombele we weren't linked with anyone would could replace Dier or Wanyama. It's hard to tell what type of team Poch is trying to build. The two best in the league play with 3 powerful midfielders at all time (Liverpool) or one true defensive midfielder with at least 2 hard working creative midfielders in front of him (City). We don't have any structure or balance at all.
I guess Poch is going all in on possession. That's all that I can come up with. No need for a DM if you never lose the ball or such bullshit.

I just can’t see any of our current midfielders that have a defensive bone in their bodies. Obviously Dier and Wanyama do but they have forgotten how to play football.

Neither of them can control a ball or run anymore, and they cause more trouble than they are worth.

Our only option is winks at the base of midfield and then at least we won’t lose possession in dangerous areas. . .

I would give my left nut for a proper DM In Jan.

Last edited:
Gazza
KWP Dav Jan Davies
Sissoko Ndombele
Lucas Dele Son
Kane

No more Eriksen starting please.
No more Aurier please.
Toby- take a seat for awhile.

We should be able to at least draw this- so long as Poch doesn't totally blow it via team selection, tactics or subs.
There's no way KWP will be in fella. He can't even make the squad these days. Aren't we looking to send him on loan in January?

We have such nice fans, not demanding. They are happy with a draw. Nutters. 😇
It's Watford at home!
Show some ambition
Watford are 20th in the PL table, bottom of the table with 3 points. They haven't won this season. Conceded 20 goals, 2.5 goals/game. A Spurs team with Son, Kane, Moura should be able to score freely against a bottom team or we have some really really serious issues and both Levy & Poch should go.
If we can't beat Watford at home, then we are as good as relegated
Even Poch and Levy worshippers will change their mind
Nothing but a convincing win will do on Saturday

Back
Top Bottom