Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United Match History 1898-2013

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having had a chance to reflect, its probably better we had the bad game early, just to get it out of the way and I am convinced that we will be going after a top draw striker in the next transfer window!!

Towards the end of the last transfer window there was always talk about moving on Ade and Defoe and getting another striker not sure who, but a couple of Brazilians were mentioned, as well as Porto ( Jackson Martinez) and Benfica (Oscar Cardozo) players. It would not surprise if someone has been lined up, it is obvious we have to score more goals so this could be on

Towards the end of the last transfer window there was always talk about moving on Ade and Defoe and getting another striker not sure who, but a couple of Brazilians were mentioned, as well as Porto ( Jackson Martinez) and Benfica (Oscar Cardozo) players. It would not surprise if someone has been lined up, it is obvious we have to score more goals so this could be on

West Ham's joint-chairman David Sullivan has praised the club's fans for their support during the 3-0 win over Tottenham on Sunday.

Both sets of fans were warned prior to the match that the use of the term "Yid" at White Hart Lane would result in arrest.

"On Sunday morning, I wrote an open letter to supporters attending the game to remind them they would be acting as ambassadors for our club. As expected, they did not let us down," said Sullivan.

"The way they got behind the team was up there with the best I have seen in my 20 years in football."

MegaLOLZ!

West Ham's joint-chairman David Sullivan has praised the club's fans for their support during the 3-0 win over Tottenham on Sunday.

Both sets of fans were warned prior to the match that the use of the term "Yid" at White Hart Lane would result in arrest.

"On Sunday morning, I wrote an open letter to supporters attending the game to remind them they would be acting as ambassadors for our club. As expected, they did not let us down," said Sullivan.

"The way they got behind the team was up there with the best I have seen in my 20 years in football."

MegaLOLZ!
Fucking hell. He obviously wasn't listening to what they were singing.

We should be going off before the break with 3 points secured in the bag. Sitting 1st or 2nd in the league. Happy days. Instead we have to make do with a fucking TROUNCING by West Ham United. At home. Sitting 6th. Everybody fucking LAUGHING at us. What a fucking joke. What a travesty. 3-0? At home? 'We're gonna win the league.' Aye. Dead on.
To be fair all the top 6 teams have had a seat on the joke club chair every week, it was just our turn this weak. I wonder whose next kinda fun to watch.

MegaLOLZ!
Fucking hell, that makes me feel a bit ill.

When the poorer team wins, its usually by 1 goal. Not 3.
WH got lucky (sans the one goal) scoring on all those chances. 0-1 vs 0-3, not much difference in this match, except the goal diff. We wouldn't have scored anyway, the way we were playing. When teams counter/get a corner, there's always a chance they'll score and for a lot of times this season, Lloris has been the reason Cardiff, Swansea and Palace didn't get a goal. For WH, this was different, but it wasn't Lloris' fault.

Woolwich, Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea have all lost to "poorer" teams already and many of them bottom half. Maybe the three goals even made it even clearer that something needs to be done than what had been the case with a 0-1 defeat.

In the words of ESPN FC's John Crace ...
It could have been worse. The score could have been 1-0. This may sound counter-intuitive, but bear with me. A single-goal loss can be explained away as one of those things, a game where Spurs did all the pressing and the opposition gets a lucky break. Those things happen. Most of us have seen plenty of them at White Hart Lane. These are the matches that can be written off as a bad day at the office.

A 3-0 home defeat can't be so easily ignored. It is catastrophic.

This is exactly why I am feeling optimistic. I am just so glad this happened now than later...
Cheer up fellas ... as this loss will soon prove to be more helpful than being a complete disaster.

BTW, here's the full article. It's worth the read:
It could have been worse. The score could have been 1-0. This may sound counter-intuitive, but bear with me. A single-goal loss can be explained away as one of those things, a game where Spurs did all the pressing and the opposition gets a lucky break. Those things happen. Most of us have seen plenty of them at White Hart Lane. These are the matches that can be written off as a bad day at the office.

A 3-0 home defeat can't be so easily ignored. It is catastrophic. The worst home loss that I can remember since Spurs lost 5-1 to Manchester City early in the season two years ago. At least that was against a strong City side that was just beginning to gel and would go on to win the Premier League. Sunday's defeat was to an 18th-place West Ham team that had just two draws in its previous away fixtures. Spurs, remember, were meant to be the form team.

After the match, Andre Villas-Boas tried to make the best of it by saying, 'In the second half we came out strongly with the right frame of mind and deserved to take the lead. But they had the corner that led to the goal and that put us in a very difficult position, especially as we tried to make the changes to try and score, we ended up conceding again.

"You can always be vulnerable against teams that defend well, control the spaces well and make it difficult. They look to hit you on the counter and West Ham did that well. They deserve credit for what they did. We were unlucky not to score at the start of the second half and then ended up chasing the game from a difficult position."

Which is exactly what you would expect a manager to say in public. It's called damage limitation. But if that's what AVB really thinks and what he said to the players in private after the game, then he's got it seriously wrong. The 3-0 defeat is not, in the wider scheme, a big disaster. Spurs may have lost momentum, but the team is still only three points off the top of the table with under a quarter of the season gone.
No need for knee-jerk reaction or panic, then.

But plenty of need for a good, hard look and some choice words about players' attitudes and a rethink about tactics. It shouldn't be a surprise when a team comes to White Hart Lane and packs the midfield to stifle Spurs' creativity. Clubs have been doing that for some years now.

Yes, it can be frustrating, but the players have to be patient and back themselves. What they mustn't do is lose heart, which is what seemed to happen Sunday. When the chips were down, several Spurs players went missing. Rather than upping the tempo and creating havoc, Spurs seemed stunned and rudderless, as if no one had ever told them what was required if they should ever find themselves a couple of goals down with 20 minutes to go.

AVB must also rethink his tactics. There's no point in him being technically in the right about what system he chooses to play. If his players can't -- or won't -- play the way he wants them to, then whatever AVB thinks is irrelevant. AVB needs a Plan B that can be put into action mid-game when Plan A is not working. There's no sign of one at present, so his team understandably gets more and more anxious the longer games go on without finding a way past stubborn defences.

There must also be questio nmarks over personnel. The arguments over Roberto Soldado-vs.-Jermaine Defoe remain. Defoe had a bit of a shocker on Sunday, but my own view is that he had earned the right to get a start after his previous performances, even if they were only in the Capital One Cup and the Europa League. Goal-scoring is a lot about confidence and Defoe was the one in form.

Of greater concern is Sandro's continued omission. Presumably, there is a reason for this, but I can't see it. It's clear Mousa Dembele is not playing particularly well at the moment and it must be at least worth seeing what Sandro can do alongside Paulinho, because at the moment the Spurs central midfield is no real threat to anyone. After a couple of good games, Kyle Walker is once again resembling a headless chicken. Does he know what he's supposed to be doing? I sure don't, other than he's not doing whatever it is he is meant to be doing. And if he's injured, as some have suggested, then give him time to recover.

The biggest worry, though, remains at left back where Danny Rose's absence continues to be keenly felt. Kyle Naughton had another day he'd rather forget and Fryers has looked no better in the games he has played.

There were rumours at the weekend that Spurs were preparing a January bid for Leighton Baines. It will be great if Baines comes, but still leaves the manager having to fill the slot for the next three months. If he isn't regretting sending Benoit Assou-Ekotto out on loan to QPR, I am.

Spurs, then, need to use the next couple of weeks to think hard about how they are going to take on teams like West Ham in the future and the players need to be honest with each other about their commitment and desire. Champions League football doesn't always just go to the most talented teams; it also goes to those who really want it and are prepared to make the necessary sacrifices.

As with the defeat against Woolwich, the international break couldn't really come at a worse time. Just when the team needs to get together as a squad, it is scattered across the globe. Still, the last time Spurs returned from the break and delivered their most comprehensive performance of the season with the 2-0 win against Norwich. So there is hope. And there will be even more hope if Spurs can accept the 3-0 loss to West Ham for the comprehensive beating it was, rather than delude themselves they just didn't get the rub of the green.

Last edited:
Spurs cabbie who comes into the pub where I work said he saw loads of West Ham fans wearing their kits in the streets today that he's never seen before :levylol:

In the words of ESPN FC's John Crace ...

This is exactly why I am feeling optimistic. I am just so glad this happened now than later...
Cheer up fellas ... as this loss will soon prove to be more helpful than being a complete disaster.

BTW, here's the full article. It's worth the read:
Exactly!

finally brought myself to watching the highlights. totally forgot about that defoe 1 on 1 at 0-0 which could have completely changed the game. Also looks like a clever little push on vertonghen by reid for their first goal. not an excuse as we deserved to lose but just an observation. Their second goal was also fucking lucky.

in all, it didn't actually look as shit as i remembered it second time round.

The funniest (and also most infuriating thing) is how mongy their fans look when they're celebrating.

Having had a chance to reflect, its probably better we had the bad game early, just to get it out of the way and I am convinced that we will be going after a top draw striker in the next transfer window!!

Just hope AVB learns from the experience and comes up with ideas and options. Say what you want about the Hammers' goals, but fat Sam got his gameplan spot on.

It sucks, yes. Spurs played at the pedestrian Spurs-playing-a-lesser-team-at-home pace we have been familiar with of late (without a swing of a Welshman's left peg to Bale us out) but lets keep grasp of some perspective. We have a immensely talented squad that CAN ONLY IMPROVE the more they play together. AVB may have a calm demeanour but anyone that thinks he won't be busting every single player's balls to go out and regain some pride against Villa is quite frankly, an idiot.

AVB knows what he's doing.

Had Defoe netted either of his chances (especially the one at the start of the second half when we ramped up the pressure) we would be sitting pretty joint top of the league. I have no doubt West Ham would NOT have been able to come back into the game as they had no plan B to their anti-football suffocation. The problem that blights us against these anti-football teams is going 1-0 down and making an already tough task to break down West Bolton Wanderers Ham so much harder.

However, where we can draw optimism is in the fact that our previous gaffer would put it down to "one of those days". We have a better manager, better players, better expectations, better mentality than that now.

Stay calm and COYS

Back
Top Bottom