Tottenham Hotspur v Wolverhampton Wanderers 2pm Sunday 13th of Feb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He left because he warned Levy that unless investment in replacement players for the ageing team was made, the team would become un competitive.

Which is exactly what has happened.

Surely you can see that? That and the fact that the club bought him players he didn't want or sanction, as far as I am aware.
He left because he was sacked for being dog shit after the champ lge final - we were awful to watch at the end if his tenure. Sanchez ndombele sessegnon lo celso and CLARKE all players he apparently wanted.

He left because he warned Levy that unless investment in replacement players for the ageing team was made, the team would become un competitive.

Which is exactly what has happened.
Surely you can see that?

He didn't leave.... He was sacked.

That and the fact that the club bought him players he didn't want or sanction, as far as I am aware.

TN, GLC & Sess were ALL his pics.

I agree with this loads.

Part of me is relieved I can't go to the ground that often these days (I'm now based in Belgium) because paying to watch such poor, lazy effort...no thanks.

But yeah, on the other end, I do miss the pre-match atmosphere, meeting up with fellow fans, chewing the fat, discussing players we'd love to see at Spurs...

When I'm next attending a match, it would actually be great to meet you and some of the other nice, interesting folks I've seen on here like Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor tommyboyspurs tommyboyspurs , Shotgunofmichalebrow Shotgunofmichalebrow , Tomo Tomo ...
Would be good to meet you too, a regular bunch meet at the Shelf Bar, but not sure if that's going to happen much next season!!!! But, God willing, I'll be there; I think I'm beyond help!!

That is such a nonsense statement, you do post some poorly thought out comments at times.

Have you never played football?
Hum I think you're being a tad harsh here. Yes, we all know Shady likes to exaggerate (sometimes it makes me laugh, though).

But he's not that wrong here. Wolves scored because Hugo effed up, but also because they reacted with far more energy & passion than our boys. Some - through lack of care or skills (or both) - were definitely not at the races on that particular play...they were in total passenger mode and that's how you've got 3 Wolves players pretty much unchallenged and free to stick it in the back of the net.

And it's not as if that didn't happen on many another occasion in that game. Or vs Saints. Or vs any other team we've faced this season...and not just in the league

Everybody welcome. I'm the little fat bloke with an entourage.
tried to get to you lot with my daughter yesterday, they said we couldn't go out and reenter, and walking around from the north stand would be a nightmare...? We just didn't have enough time on our side in the end.

We got totally soaked, but we kept smiling, we played shite but we took the piss out of players laying on the ground. I kinda decoupled the obvious money making at the ground and abysmal performance on the pitch and took it for what it was... a quality day out with my eldest and my Mum.

On the train back I asked "go again?" and "Yup" was the response from both.

We all know the faults in the game yesterday, it was blatant to see. It's a shame as a win, or goal would have rounded off a magical day.

Pretty simple?

I provided you with a rational based on the detail of the ACTUAL game (that you didn't see)...... You rejected it based upon a non-informed opinion in order to draw sketchy generalisations.

Wolves could have score other goals? ....So? So could we.....

Let's move on shall we.
I still don;t think conceding first in any match means that you don't score yourselves, so I place your rational as moot.

So Hugo made two errors but we didn't score any goals anyway, so 0-0 it would be, if he hadn't made them.

Still not good enough for forth spot.

I have to say, I really don't see what all the fuss is about with Romero.

For a start, he's barely played since joining...injury after injury. There was also the situation with the Argentina game he traveled to and got done with Covid restrictions on the way back...not great attitude, especially when you've just joined a new club.

And whenever he did play, I can't say he ever wowed me. I've seen many better CBs in the PL, he's defo not in my top 10. Them last two games, loads on here have let him off the hook, instead blaming (rightly so) Sanch, Emerson, Winksy, Hoj, Doc, Lucas...but Romero really didn't shine either. Yes, it doesn't help that he's surrounded by crap. But is he doing enough himself? I really don't think he does. And as far as I'm concerned, you can't call yourself an elite CB if you're so dubious at dealing with crosses. You don't see VVD flopping like Rom whenever a cross comes into the Liverpool box. In the PL, if you can't defend crosses, what's even the point being on the pitch.

I wish we could still get out of getting him on a permanent, but it's too late. As things stand, I don't see this as 42 mil well spent. But happy to give him more time, see how he improves with more games under his belt but, mainly, with better players around him.

He’s winning some hearts because he’s an aggressive fucker, but his reading of situations isn't always great, meaning that aggressiveness sometimes ends up as just overt rashness, which ends up being counter productive, and how he reads and defends the box and his one v one face up defending isn't always great either so far.

He's young, so I guess he can learn, but he doesn't strike me as the most cerebral of fellas.

Like you, I'm unconvinced.

I have to say, I really don't see what all the fuss is about with Romero.

For a start, he's barely played since joining...injury after injury. There was also the situation with the Argentina game he traveled to and got done with Covid restrictions on the way back...not great attitude, especially when you've just joined a new club.

And whenever he did play, I can't say he ever wowed me. I've seen many better CBs in the PL, he's defo not in my top 10. Them last two games, loads on here have let him off the hook, instead blaming (rightly so) Sanch, Emerson, Winksy, Hoj, Doc, Lucas...but Romero really didn't shine either. Yes, it doesn't help that he's surrounded by crap. But is he doing enough himself? I really don't think he does. And as far as I'm concerned, you can't call yourself an elite CB if you're so dubious at dealing with crosses. You don't see VVD flopping like Rom whenever a cross comes into the Liverpool box. In the PL, if you can't defend crosses, what's even the point being on the pitch.

I wish we could still get out of getting him on a permanent, but it's too late. As things stand, I don't see this as 42 mil well spent. But happy to give him more time, see how he improves with more games under his belt but, mainly, with better players around him.

I think the "fuss" which is really exaggerating what is said, comes from the fact that he is so much better than any CB we have (including Dier) so it makes him look better than he is. Much like Bentancur in the MF him being good makes him look great.

I don't think he is a top 10 PL CB right now, but he has that potential. He is by far the best CB we have and we need to build around him.

What is more odd than people being excited by him is the losers who are criticizing him for no reason.

He’s winning some hearts because he’s an aggressive fucker, but his reading of situations isn't always great, meaning that aggressiveness sometimes ends up as just overt rashness, which ends up being counter productive, and how he reads and defends the box and his one v one face up defending isn't always great either so far.

He's young, so I guess he can learn, but he doesn't strike me as the most cerebral of fellas.

Like you, I'm unconvinced.
It seems I'm his biggest proponent. Just to be clear, I do recognise his overeagerness, and that does sometimes backfire. I like him despite that, not because I haven't noticed it.

He clearly needs a partner like Dier to do the things he can't. I think we should encourage his natural game, cos too many in this side (like Dier himself) like to drop off e..g Ziyech goal.

His 1v1 seems decent, he does concede some cheap free kicks, but is still a level above Sanchez just leans into the attacker till falls and gets a free kick.

All that aside he is our only defender who is comfortable with the ball.

I still don;t think conceding first in any match means that you don't score yourselves, so I place your rational as moot.

That's not a claim I made....... Until you watch the game; you have no context to apply my comment to and will continue to come up with un-informed conclusions about what I have said.

So Hugo made two errors but we didn't score any goals anyway, so 0-0 it would be, if he hadn't made them.

You're just repeating yourself now....... Doubling down and ignoring the effect early goals has on the dynamic of a game and the tactics of an away team does not further your case.

If you refuse to entertain the notion that a team may have less inclination to attack you (and leave less gaps) if they're 2 goals ahead then that just leads to poor understanding on your part.

Still not good enough for forth spot.

Meh...... Football doesn't play out the way you think it does.

First off, I’ve lost count of the times Lloris has punched or flapped at things he should just catch, that one Sunday was one of the worst I’ve seen from a keeper for a long time, really fucking weak keeping.

But look at what Moura & Bentancur do, just stand and watch Wolves players run past them into the box, then (and I highlighted last week how our defenders do this a lot) players like Doherty and Romero, instead of picking up players, who are the danger, choose to retreat into spaces and mark nobody.

This has got to be about coaching and teaching. They need to be showing the players videos and talking them through the mistakes, because it’s not fucking complicated. Track fucking runners, positioning et

I actually thought Conte had got to grips with some of this, I was actually impressed with how Conte had got Sanchez playing, but last two or three games we seem to have regressed.

And it also seems so obvious that we don’t have the midfielders rounded enough to play double pivots, none of them, and we looked noticeably better in the 352 with three CM’s in there when we’ve played that way - but Conte continually goes with the 343, (or 442 v Chelsea) and our midfield struggles, understandably to play through press or apply effective press.

The thing is though you have to say that we weren't making these silly errors when we were in our run, when we're picking up points around Xmas, defensive errors like this weren't creeping in, in fact I thought Conte did well to iron them out.

Seems like they've crept back in our game, we are no longer defending as a team anymore and the back line looks shaky again, we've seen this before many times, we just have incredibly inconsistent players with weak mentalities.

Last edited:
That's not a claim I made....... Until you watch the game; you have no context to apply my comment to and will continue to come up with un-informed conclusions about what I have said.

You're just repeating yourself now....... Doubling down and ignoring the effect early goals has on the dynamic of a game and the tactics of an away team does not further your case.

If you refuse to entertain the notion that a team may have less inclination to attack you (and leave less gaps) if they're 2 goals ahead then that just leads to poor understanding on your part.

Meh...... Football doesn't play out the way you think it does.
Nah, I just think the opposition scoring first is a poor excuse not to score yourselves.

So we'll just have to agree to disagree.... but our form recently isn't saying top four is it? With or without any goalkeeping errors from Hugo Lloris.

That's my point. I don't need to have watched the Wolves match to make it,

Some will believe they have the power make a change. Some will believe they have no power to make a change. I don't have to guess which side of the line you fall.

Don't ever complain about the team again. It is what you believe you deserve.
You silly individual. Keep your asinine pseudo intellectual claptrap to yourself thanks. This is football, not the beginning of the descent of civilization into the arms of a totalitarian regime of despotic leadership.

Grow the fuck up

what next - we all put bleach in our eyes so we can't watch?
followed by us all cutting off our noses
I know I'm answering the same post twice. Please forgive me. I just thought I'd show you the ffg:

https://www.google.co.za/amp/s/www....Woolwich-fans-boycott-Emirates-thousands.html

In all cases changes were made by the club. So I consider these protests successful.

Nah, I just think the opposition scoring first is a poor excuse not to score yourselves.

Why are you persisting with this puerility????

We were talking about a specific game..... A game that you can't even claim to have seen.... And your whole argument is based on the denial of the strategic circumstances of the game.

Assuming you didn't watch the Superbowl either last night; do you want pontificate about the outcome of THAT game too?

:contefacepalm2:

So we'll just have to agree to disagree.... but our form recently is saying top four is it? With or without any goalkeeping errors from Hugo Lloris.

Your prediction on top 4 have no bearing on what we've been speaking about.

You silly individual

He didn't leave.... He was sacked.

TN, GLC & Sess were ALL his pics.
Technically, but he was gone long before then. He said that making the final was the pinnacle of his achievements, unless things changed.
They didn't, neither did they, or have they for his 3 successors.
Band aid repairs to a squad that needed major surgery., Only N'dombele was anything like a big signing, after typical Levy manoeuvring around realistic transfer targets.
Yet again in this window, the manager doesn't get what he wants, because Levy won't negotiate to actually get meaningful team changers into the squad.

Back
Top Bottom