Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea. 4.30 Sunday 19th September. EPL

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure we can be considered a big club our mentality and or the way we operate are on a smaller level and we don't win anything to be relevant.
This is why our invitation to the ESL was a joke hopefully now with the team getting worse we would not be invited again that will teach levy.
That's the problem, see? we ARE a big club (one of the 'Traditional Big 5' if you go far back enough...
Man Utd, Liverpool, Arse, Spurs and Everton... Man City & Chelsea were nowhere to be seen... but nowadays, ourselves, Arse (to an extent) and Everton have totally fallen away in that category, yet are still 'seen' as a big club... which is why the media revel at our demise.... it's STILL a big deal!

We're neither one nor the other at the moment... traditionally, a big club, the stadium that SCREAMS big club, but with neither the players, management or trophy haul to justify it.... we're fucking stuck until a super-rich sheikh comes along and makes it all better (just throw money at the problem, makes everything better... see Man City/Chelsea !

yep I mistook who you meant, my apologies.

My comments were general, and I have better things to do than over analyse and criticise, because footballers don't play flawless games, because they can't be everywhere at once.

Of course I can handle what you have to say, I think it was unnecessary polarised, critical and carping commentary, which was was I found them annoying. It ignored the fact that good players can't play when they are carrying team mates.

This team is what we have, we don't have the same standard of players, the impact of just one man on their team - Kante was the direct opposite of the impact we got from LoCelso. God knows how he gets to start for Argentina.

Watching Kane's game was hard to take, after all he's done for us. He needs to buck himself up and fast, or no buggers going to want him, at any price Levy will let him go for.
I agree good players can't play when carrying team mates, I'd also argue some of our players aren't the standard some on here think or imagine them to be though. My comments were based on what I saw, not on anything petty, if I called out something, it was because I felt it was obvious and detrimental to the team.

So I never said we didn't out spend them during our success you made a post saying they took over us prior to spending and have gotten aggressive when it's pointed out that's false.

You've changed the argument to say it doesn't matter if they spent big, an argument I haven't engaged with.

Perhaps you need to check your bias and hatred.
You have repeatedly claimed they only ever won anything because of money.
You first started that it was Abramvic and his billions. I pointed out they were already ahead of us.
You then back tracked and tried to claim it was because of Matthew Hardings input and I pointed out that we were of no higher moral than that.
You've also tried to say they nearly went bust when we too could well have gone that way thanks to Scholar. Both clubs funny enough got into a lot of trouble due to stadium financing.

It's a complete illusion that Chelsea were an absolute nothing until they won the millions. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they were a much more appealing purchase than Spurs because they were already in and around it.

All I could hear yesterday was thick as fuck old men ranting the same retorhic about how Chelsea are some insicnificant and would literally go away with Abramavic.

Football is a business. He has grown that club exponentially. If he went they'd still be here.

Dele apparently saying it was down to fine margins. Seemed more of a gulf to me, is there some delusion in the squad? Do they actually realise how bad they are playing?
The old guard know that they're not good enough (Lloris, Kane, Son, Dele etc.) And this will soon rub off on the new boys if we're not careful enough.

The best we can hope for is a complete transition away from all Poch players over the next few windows and hopefully get more leaders into the team.

Kane never was one, he's quiet as a mouse.
I don't think Lloris is much of a leader either, at least not now that he's so disillusioned with winning no club honours in his whole career.

We should stick with Paratici's approach of recruiting highly regarded youngsters and it should pay off in 2-3 years, not much else we can do.

You have repeatedly claimed they only ever won anything because of money.
You first started that it was Abramvic and his billions. I pointed out they were already ahead of us.
You then back tracked and tried to claim it was because of Matthew Hardings input and I pointed out that we were of no higher moral than that.
You've also tried to say they nearly went bust when we too could well have gone that way thanks to Scholar. Both clubs funny enough got into a lot of trouble due to stadium financing.

It's a complete illusion that Chelsea were an absolute nothing until they won the millions. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they were a much more appealing purchase than Spurs because they were already in and around it.

All I could hear yesterday was thick as fuck old men ranting the same retorhic about how Chelsea are some insicnificant and would literally go away with Abramavic.

Football is a business. He has grown that club exponentially. If he went they'd still be here.

Where have I said it was Abramavic, if you are not going to read posts we're done
were buying success when they took over us, difference was pre Russian they were about to go bust because of it

That's the problem, see? we ARE a big club (one of the 'Traditional Big 5' if you go far back enough...
Man Utd, Liverpool, Arse, Spurs and Everton... Man City & Chelsea were nowhere to be seen... but nowadays, ourselves, Arse (to an extent) and Everton have totally fallen away in that category, yet are still 'seen' as a big club... which is why the media revel at our demise.... it's STILL a big deal!

We're neither one nor the other at the moment... traditionally, a big club, the stadium that SCREAMS big club, but with neither the players, management or trophy haul to justify it.... we're fucking stuck until a super-rich sheikh comes along and makes it all better (just throw money at the problem, makes everything better... see Man City/Chelsea !

The Back To the Future paradox.
A film made in 1985 where a man travels to 1955
We're now further away from 1985 than he was from 1955

Where do you draw the line?
Pre 1951 we had a few FA Cups to our name. There absolutely were bigger better teams than us. Even pre 1961 you could argue we weren't big time really.
Liverpool probably bloomed later than us.

This idea that you can only be a big club if you were one decades ago is silly. As we're now further away from the point Chelsea passed us (late 90's) than when we were a properly big club (mid 80's)

Where have I said it was Abramavic, if you are not going to read posts we're done

Only 2 people have put Money into Chelsea. Harding and Abramavic.
You don't have to say their names for any one to know who you're talking about when you claim they're only good because of money.

Only 2 people have put Money into Chelsea. Harding and Abramavic.
You don't have to say their names for any one to know who you're talking about when you claim they're only good because of money.
I said they spent big to take over us pre Russian, do you think I meant Catherine the great?!

Yesterdays game was somewhat interesting in terms of the coaching.

We were better in the first half than MoTD suggests. What was fairly obvious from my lofty seat, was that Chelsea had a huge hole in the middle of the pitch.
Both teams were playing with very high lines, often the defence of each side were only as far back as their side of the centre circle. What was obvious, was that when we had the ball in our half, the gaps in the middle we large enough that we could pass into our midfielders often with no pressure or even a marker on our player(s) at all despite the fact both teams were condensed into that middle third. There was then time to turn, dribble and pass forward and we opened them up a good few times.
I have to confess, I didn't hear/see they made a halftime sub, but immediately noticeable in the 2nd half was they owned the middle of the pitch suddenly. Kante did what Kante does, he shut everyone out AND used the ball like a pro. Ndombele and GLC were screwed from the 1st minute of the 2nd half.
Ndombele, IMO, was our best player in the first half and as we were the better side, he was arguably the best player.
Then Kante happened.

Touchel saw it. He knew what was happening and he fixed it.
When the tide turned, what did Nuno do? Puts a pair of kids on who looked as out of their depth as he is.
Looking at the players available raises another eyebrow.
Where was Moura and Bergwjin? They were injured. Why were they injured? Because they played in the 3rd rate cup on a Thursday.
Our bench yesterday was scary. Those players wouldn't get near to playing much more than cameo minutes for a top team these days.

We're nowhere near it. Anyone thinking we're gonna finish inside even the top 8 this year is in for a fucking shock.

👍🏅

Have to say werner is shit. Didnt even test their keeper whos shit. Easiest game hes ever played. I do have doubts as well hoijberg is a top 4 player. Midfield needs upgrading...fast.
PEH at fault for Kante’s fluke goal as highlighted by Souness who was quite right

He should have closed him down much sooner but stood on the edge of our area with Dier watching him tee up

Basic stuff that you would have a go at your under 12s for

Yesterdays game was somewhat interesting in terms of the coaching.

We were better in the first half than MoTD suggests. What was fairly obvious from my lofty seat, was that Chelsea had a huge hole in the middle of the pitch.
Both teams were playing with very high lines, often the defence of each side were only as far back as their side of the centre circle. What was obvious, was that when we had the ball in our half, the gaps in the middle we large enough that we could pass into our midfielders often with no pressure or even a marker on our player(s) at all despite the fact both teams were condensed into that middle third. There was then time to turn, dribble and pass forward and we opened them up a good few times.
I have to confess, I didn't hear/see they made a halftime sub, but immediately noticeable in the 2nd half was they owned the middle of the pitch suddenly. Kante did what Kante does, he shut everyone out AND used the ball like a pro. Ndombele and GLC were screwed from the 1st minute of the 2nd half.
Ndombele, IMO, was our best player in the first half and as we were the better side, he was arguably the best player.
Then Kante happened.

Touchel saw it. He knew what was happening and he fixed it.
When the tide turned, what did Nuno do? Puts a pair of kids on who looked as out of their depth as he is.
Looking at the players available raises another eyebrow.
Where was Moura and Bergwjin? They were injured. Why were they injured? Because they played in the 3rd rate cup on a Thursday.
Our bench yesterday was scary. Those players wouldn't get near to playing much more than cameo minutes for a top team these days.

We're nowhere near it. Anyone thinking we're gonna finish inside even the top 8 this year is in for a fucking shock.

We need to just sack off the Conference IMO.

It's clear we don't have the squad to compete on many fronts and it's a farce. We aren't even getting good attendances

PEH at fault for Kante’s fluke goal as highlighted by Souness who was quite right

He should have closed him down much sooner but stood on the edge of our area with Dier watching him tee up

Basic stuff that you would have a go at your under 12s for
Said his effort was laughable, glad it got highlighted.

His attempt at tracking Alonso for the one Dier cleared off the line was equally pathetic

We need to just sack off the Conference IMO.

It's clear we don't have the squad to compete on many fronts and it's a farce. We aren't even getting good attendances
The FA Cup, League Cup and Conference League are going to be the only competitions which can provide us with any realistic cheer this season. Our group games aren't the usual long haul trips to eastrn Europe so for me we need to stick with it.

Let's face it, this is another season of fighting with Everton, West Ham and Villa for top 7. I need the distraction of a cup competition.

Back
Top Bottom