Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea. 4.30 Sunday 19th September. EPL

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If it wasn't for 3 decent saves by Lloris it could easily have been 5 or 6 yesterday and that wouldn't have been flattering on Chelsea.

Anyone who takes any positives from that is nuts.

The FA Cup, League Cup and Conference League are going to be the only competitions which can provide us with any realistic cheer this season. Our group games aren't the usual long haul trips to eastrn Europe so for me we need to stick with it.

Let's face it, this is another season of fighting with Everton, West Ham and Villa for top 7. I need the distraction of a cup competition.
We wouldn't win these cups if we were the only teams in them.

The FA Cup, League Cup and Conference League are going to be the only competitions which can provide us with any realistic cheer this season. Our group games aren't the usual long haul trips to eastrn Europe so for me we need to stick with it.

Let's face it, this is another season of fighting with Everton, West Ham and Villa for top 7. I need the distraction of a cup competition.

A season of Sunday games compounds the misery of a day out to the Stadium though

I don't know, I'm not all that bothered about Sunday games.
S02E11-QW3dl78v-subtitled.jpg

If we try and win (and inevitably fail) t o win thee cups, we'll be in the bottom 3rd of the table.

But then if we mug off all three cups what do we hope to achieve from that? 7th? 6th at the best?

I'm just so bored of us not taking cups seriously when we just don't have anything else to shout about.

Are you chosing to ignore the point? They were better than us pre Abramovic because they were spending a shit load of money pre Abramovic (on the verge of bankruptcy), original post said they had taken over us pre spending - that's not true.
Chelsea were in debt because they had rebuilt three quarters of the stadium.
Ken Bates knew exactly what him and the club were doing with their long-term plan - They were so broke they didn't even have a training ground or own the stadium. So, they had to get money in to invest in the team and attracted big name players long before RA arrived. Rebuild the slum stadium. Win trophies and make them ripe for a big takeover.
For sure it was a gamble, but it was one they had to take and it paid off. A case of speculating to accumilate.

Not at all like City, who were mid table shite, broke and had their stadium and everything handed on a plate to them having done zilch to deserve it.

It's pathetic hearing it. Football is what it is. The world of football is dripping with money so it hardly matters.
United, Liverpool and Leicester aren't owned by bent barrons, 2 of them have won league titles in very recent memory and one is doing everything it can to get back to winning titles.

It's actually embarrassing listening to 50+ year old Spurs fans who think it's still the early 80s and that Spurs matter and they Chelsea are a little yoyo club.

They surpassed us BEFORE abramovic.
They were playing with the likes of Ruud Gullit, Vilali, Zola, JFH while we had the likes of Chris Armstrong, Gary Doherty and plebs like Christian Gross in charge.
That all took place before they started buying success.

And let's be totally clear here, they have thrown about as much money at players as we have on a stadium. We now have a mountain of debt that will outlast ENIC as they have no desire to have it paid off as long as it can raise constant all year round revenue.

That's why Chelsea are now 10 years ahead of us. They've realised 10-20k extra seats and some posh boxes aren't gonna make anywhere near as much of an impact as winning the champions league and netting £150m in the process.

point to note Chelsea spent a load of money to overtake us short term and were going bankrupt just before Abramovich turned up and prevented them defaulting on a £75m loan, they literally won the lottery. They would be Leeds today if it wasn’t for him. Otherwise yes agree.

I think it's just the looming spectre of work tomorrow and knowing you need to get back at a decent time.

Also loads of other games on Saturday, just feels more like a football day.

I guess for me, Saturday means Spurs can put me in a foul mood for the whole weekend (especially if it's an early match). If Spurs piss me off on Sunday evening well, the weekend's over anyway.

Chelsea were in debt because they had rebuilt three quarters of the stadium.
Ken Bates knew exactly what him and the club were doing with their long-term plan - They were so broke they didn't even have a training ground or own the stadium. So, they had to get money in to invest in the team and attracted big name players long before RA arrived. Rebuild the slum stadium. Win trophies and make them ripe for a big takeover.
For sure it was a gamble, but it was one they had to take and it paid off. A case of speculating to accumilate.

Not at all like City, who were mid table shite, broke and had their stadium and everything handed on a plate to them having done zilch to deserve it.

Chelsea were on the verge of bankruptcy before Abramovich came along.

You have repeatedly claimed they only ever won anything because of money.
You first started that it was Abramvic and his billions. I pointed out they were already ahead of us.
You then back tracked and tried to claim it was because of Matthew Hardings input and I pointed out that we were of no higher moral than that.
You've also tried to say they nearly went bust when we too could well have gone that way thanks to Scholar. Both clubs funny enough got into a lot of trouble due to stadium financing.

It's a complete illusion that Chelsea were an absolute nothing until they won the millions. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they were a much more appealing purchase than Spurs because they were already in and around it.

All I could hear yesterday was thick as fuck old men ranting the same retorhic about how Chelsea are some insicnificant and would literally go away with Abramavic.

Football is a business. He has grown that club exponentially. If he went they'd still be here.
Chelsea only really gained ascendancy over us when the Harding and Bates plan went into overdrive, with them building a stadium they couldn't afford, and tried to finance it through team success. They then doubled down on their level of debt by buying players of increasing transfer value and salary requirements. At the same time we made no attempt to keep up with them, and tried to exist organically.
Chelsea won a few cups, but didn't get the revenues (or success) they hoped for, and be in no doubt, were in a really bad situation, to the point that they were considering selling their stadium for it's location value, to try to offset the debt, and there was strong talk that they would go into receivership, which would have cost them points etc - and it looked that they would actually get wound up. Harding's death exacerbated their problems.

And then their fairy godmother turned up

If Abramovich pulled out tomorrow and insisted the club repaid all it owed him, from his investment, it would have to be sold, but I doubt they would have a problem finding a buyer, so no - they (and their shithouse fans) would not go away. If Abramovich really got nasty and sold off the real estate to pay him back, and then put the club up for sale, then they would be in deep shit, but that's never going to happen, except in our dreams.

Back
Top Bottom