Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea. 4.30 Sunday 19th September. EPL

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

point to note Chelsea spent a load of money to overtake us short term and were going bankrupt just before Abramovich turned up and prevented them defaulting on a £75m loan, they literally won the lottery. They would be Leeds today if it wasn’t for him. Otherwise yes agree.
But how was it like winning the lottery if the debt they knew they would build up was all factored into the long-term plan which Ken Bates spoke to the press about in 1995?

Leeds had no plan beyond chucking money at staying in the CL.
As I've said, the Chelsea plan was a step by step process over a number of years to completely rebuild the club both on and off the pitch and set them up for a takeover.
Bringing in Hoddle started the ball rolling as it was his name and respect for his talent that was able to attract the likes of Rudd Gulllit, onto Vialli, Desailly, Zola, Gallas and co.

From the desperate state they were in 1995, no club in England had made more progress on and off the pitch than Chelsea did between1995-2003. That was not down to luck!

Yup. It would have ended in tears, but the foreplay would have been exciting if nothing else.

We are a hot mess at the moment. I see some clinging to the first half as a platform to build on, but weren't we saying that after the display against City?

I said during the tw that now was the time to gamble, speculate to accumulate as I seriously doubt that we'll ever have so few competitors for signatures. I liked the acquisitions of Gil, Sarr and Romero, all very smart signings, but for the immediate to mid term, we shit the bed.

It was me who postulated that we should have spent circa £200M to bring in proper quality. As Chelsea have shown, the manager is largely irrelevant to who you buy. Their £200+ was spent when Lampard was incumbent, Tuchel has taken on the same team, added a better striker, and now I honestly believe they are Champions elect, even at this early stage. They have squad depth to match City and, as they demonstrated last season, they have their number.

One big outlay, which I truly believe we could have managed quite easily with the revenue streams we will have coming, would have set us up for the next few years, with no more than 1, maybe 2, signings per season following that to keep freshening the squad.

I've defended Levy/Enic in the past, but said at the end of last season that if they didn't have a window that showed clear intent to challenge, then I'd be joining the ranks calling for a change at the top.

Well the only intent I saw was to carry on with more of the same. So, if I'm feeling this way after staunchly defending them for years, then they truly are done.

Unfortunately, who can afford to buy us? Who would be willing to shell out £2Bn, to then have to fork out hundreds of millions more to make us competitive? It won't be a Yank, there's no one in Europe, I doubt there's anyone in China interested, and what Arab state is going to pay £2Bn to a Jewish owner? That hatred runs too deep. I'm utterly convinced that is the reason why we got offered a pittance for Kane and he was tapped up, it's an Arab trying to get one over on a Jew.

I was a ST holder all through the 90's and early 2000's and never felt the apathy towards this club that I am currently feeling. I guess that's down to the fact that we never expected anything other than a relegation fight back then. But we had our hopes and expectations raised considerably by building up a club and team that was on the cusp, only to be let down.

So yeah, I'm done defending them, looking for the Silver lining, waiting for Enic to make that final push. It's really not coming.

But then neither is that new owner, so we're stuck in limbo watching our rivals widen the gap we spent so long closing.

Happy fucking Birthday me!
Happy birthday...

But how was it like winning the lottery if the debt they knew they would build up was all factored into the long-term plan which Ken Bates spoke to the press about in 1995?

Leeds had no plan beyond chucking money at staying in the CL.
As I've said, the Chelsea plan was a step by step process over a number of years to completely rebuild the club both on and off the pitch and set them up for a takeover.
Bringing in Hoddle started the ball rolling as it was his name and respect for his talent that was able to attract the likes of Rudd Gulllit, onto Vialli, Desailly, Zola, Gallas and co.

From the desperate state they were in 1995, no club in England had made more progress on and off the pitch than Chelsea did between1995-2003. That was not down to luck!

Yes it was down to luck, if we spent £1bn on players hoping to reach the top then at the top collapsed into debt like Leeds you wouldn’t call it prudent.

Abramovich was originally going to buy us not Chelsea before deciding he didn’t like the area and Chelsea would have gone into receivership and we would have been minted. That’s fate, Leeds did the same as Chelsea, one collapse, one got a lucky buy out.

This is interesting to look at. This worked until the pace became too much and we started huffing and puffing. So there is a blue print here to build on. But improving the fitness levels and getting players like Kane and Tanguy to be able to press more consistently will be key.

Chelsea switched formations as well (3-4-3 to 3-5-2). Mount dropped back into the midfield/got subbed off for Kante, so we lost our numeric advantage there. It also meant there were only two players pressing our back 4, but we didn't switch it up to progress the ball out wide and keep Lo Celso/Kane higher to occupy the CBs in order to isolate the wingbacks.

Tuchel made a tweak and Nuno didn't respond or have good enough options off the bench. It would have been great to bring on Lucas/Bergwijn as they could have provided more of what we needed out wide - Gil tried but at that point without Ndombele/GLC it was difficult to progress the ball regardless.

This is interesting to look at. This worked until the pace became too much and we started huffing and puffing. So there is a blue print here to build on. But improving the fitness levels and getting players like Kane and Tanguy to be able to press more consistently will be key.

I think even with increased fitness levels, hoping that we can constantly maintain 100% max effort for 90 mins is asking too much.

We need to able to play well under different circumstances not only when we are going out much harder than the other teams.

Yes it was down to luck, if we spent £1bn on players hoping to reach the top then at the top collapsed into debt like Leeds you wouldn’t call it prudent.

Abramovich was originally going to buy us not Chelsea before deciding he didn’t like the area and Chelsea would have gone into receivership and we would have been minted. That’s fate, Leeds did the same as Chelsea, one collapse, one got a lucky buy out.
I don't think it was the area that was the issue. More that they were already a CL club and had that guaranteed CL income stream plus a stronger base of players to build from. The year he bought the chavs we finished 10th so it would have needed a much larger investment in players to turn that around.

I think even with increased fitness levels, hoping that we can constantly maintain 100% max effort for 90 mins is asking too much.

We need to able to play well under different circumstances not only when we are going out much harder than the other teams.
I think the tactical changes from Tuchel had as much if not more to do with the issues in the 2nd half than fatigue did. The injuries also limited his ability to respond.

Obviously Romero/Lo Celso/Ndombele/Kane/others are not 100% fit and that played a large part in why the last 30 minutes were bad, but if we were a little bit sharper we probably convert one of the two big chances from the first half.

I don't think it was the area that was the issue. More that they were already a CL club and had that guaranteed CL income stream. The year he bought the chavs we finished 10th so it would have needed a much larger investment in players to turn that around.

Yes but the general point is that is not a fesible strategy. For us in today’s world that would be spending £500m to get us back into top 4 and the brink of bankruptcy in the hope some mega billionaire is going to save us at the last minute. That is the position Chelsea where in, Leeds also got to the top but for them never had the luck of a rescue.

Forgot this by FT, but:

Can't recall who, but one of our players and one of the chavs gave each other a 'low 5' yesterday after some form of challenge/altercation..... IN A FUCKING LONDON DERBY.......... AGAINST THOSE CUNTS.

...Bunch of 'sporting', chummy bollocks during what aught to be a war.

Not. Fucking. On .

I think the tactical changes from Tuchel had as much if not more to do with the issues in the 2nd half than fatigue did. The injuries also limited his ability to respond.

Obviously Romero/Lo Celso/Ndombele/Kane/others are not 100% fit and that played a large part in why the last 30 minutes were bad, but if we were a little bit sharper we probably convert one of the two big chances from the first half.

What big chances?

We played better than we had but still created nothing and were the 2nd best team in that half.

Sky Sports pundit and former Manchester United defender Gary Neville was confused as to why some Tottenham fans booed their own team after the final whistle in their 3-0 London derby defeat to Chelsea in the Premier League.

Despite a great start to the game and a bright first-half performance for Spurs, opposition manager Thomas Tuchel turned the tide of the game at half-time and that caused multiple problems for Nuno Espirito Santo's side as they were steamrolled in the second half.

Goals from Thiago Silva, N'Golo Kante and Antonio Rudiger continued a poor run for Spurs - having lost to Crystal Palace in the league and drawing away in the Europa Conference Leagueagainst Rennes on Thursday.

Nine points from a possible 15 available in the league doesn't make for bad reading for a side that finished in 7th place last time out in the league.

However, it seems that expectations amongst the fanbase were raised significantly after the first three games and therefore the surprising scenes after the final whistle occurred.

Neville was the first to point this out post-match on his own podcast when he said: "I was surprised by the boos.

"Nine points out of 12 is a good start to the season and I thought they would have accepted that their team had done well in the first half and Nuno had them on the front foot.

"But they were playing against a top side in the second so that was my first immediate thought."

Sky Sports pundit and former Manchester United defender Gary Neville was confused as to why some Tottenham fans booed their own team after the final whistle in their 3-0 London derby defeat to Chelsea in the Premier League.

Despite a great start to the game and a bright first-half performance for Spurs, opposition manager Thomas Tuchel turned the tide of the game at half-time and that caused multiple problems for Nuno Espirito Santo's side as they were steamrolled in the second half.

Goals from Thiago Silva, N'Golo Kante and Antonio Rudiger continued a poor run for Spurs - having lost to Crystal Palace in the league and drawing away in the Europa Conference Leagueagainst Rennes on Thursday.

Nine points from a possible 15 available in the league doesn't make for bad reading for a side that finished in 7th place last time out in the league.

However, it seems that expectations amongst the fanbase were raised significantly after the first three games and therefore the surprising scenes after the final whistle occurred.

Neville was the first to point this out post-match on his own podcast when he said: "I was surprised by the boos.

"Nine points out of 12 is a good start to the season and I thought they would have accepted that their team had done well in the first half and Nuno had them on the front foot.

"But they were playing against a top side in the second so that was my first immediate thought."

And there it is... The veiled dig!

Neville: "Little old Spurs should be content with once good half... "

......What happened to the "form goes out the window in a derby" ethos all of a sudden?

Also Neville: Not admitting to himself that he - the shit-stirring little weasle - has played a significant role in our early season disruption.

And there it is... The veiled dig!

Neville: "Little old Spurs should be content with once good half... "

......What happened to the "form goes out the window in a derby" ethos all of a sudden?

Also Neville: Not admitting to himself that he - the shit-stirring little weasle - has played a significant role in our early season disruption.
Hate Neville but he has played zero part in our shit show of a summer

That is all on us

"Ah but it was Chelsea and they're a better team than us"

So we don't need to try against Leicester, Man Ure, Liverpool then?

We'd better give City their 3 points back too.

Hate Neville but he has played zero part in our shit show of a summer

That is all on us

Oh come on.... I know you hate the owners, but absolving Kane (inc. the Neville interview dropping a bomb during our run in!) & City of any blame is just not an honest & balanced take.

Oh come on.... I know you hate the owners, but absolving Kane (inc. the Neville interview dropping a bomb during our run in!) & City of any blame is just not an honest & balanced take.
Far as I am concerned that interview is on Kane & the club more widely

It isn't Neville's job to worry about whether he is disrupting or making things difficult for Spurs

At the end of the day we reached a point where "One of our own " couldn't be more desperate to get out of the club he supposedly loves

That was all our own doing. That falls on the owners whether you like it or not , they have mismanaged this club for years and this is where you end up at

Our current mess has nothing to do with two bit pundits

Far as I am concerned that is all on Kane

You just said it was all on "Us".... "Us" being Spurs, no?

(Which is why I gave the response I did.)

It isn't Neville's job to worry about whether he is disrupting or making things difficult for Spurs

I didn't suggest he wasn't doing his job or should feel guilty, but it's quite clear from that fan pannel during the summer that he was adopting a stance of double standards (compared to say Pogba/United) when considering the role and disruption that interview caused to our run-in.

At the end of the day we reached a point where "One of our own " couldn't be more desperate to get out of the club if he tried.

He could have been more desperate... He could and perhaps SHOULD have handed in a transfer request.

That was all our own doing.

You've shifted back to the "ALL our own fault" narrative....

- The suggestion that City hadn't tapped him up is pure denial....
- The fact that HK is not fit and missed pre-season is on HIM as is his participation in and the timing of the interview.

That falls on the owners whether you like it or not , they have mismanaged this club for years and this is where you end up at

Our current mess has nothing to do with two bit pundits

You've come full circle.... And thus so will I.

I hear your hatred of our ownership talking.....

There's THREE contributory parties in this summer's shit-fest:

Us
City
Kane (Neville interview falls under this umbrella).

I don't think it was the area that was the issue. More that they were already a CL club and had that guaranteed CL income stream plus a stronger base of players to build from. The year he bought the chavs we finished 10th so it would have needed a much larger investment in players to turn that around.
The 'area' was clearly TOO JEWISH for him....
He much preferred to invest his hard earned cash in a club whose fan base is full of Nazis and Racists....

If he can't see (or chooses to ignore) that, then it says more about HIM than it does about us!

I haven't been to a Spursv Chelsea game YET that didn't involve 'hissing' and Zeig Heils from their 'supporters' ....how must that make RA or even David Baddeil feel (or Andy Jacobs, if we're going there?)
They couldn't give a Rabbis foreskin if it means they get to celebrate a trophy every year.... and THAT'S where it gets difficult and messy!

Anti Senitism holds no sway when trophies are involved!
Chelsea's fan base have ALWAYS been abhorrent , Nazi cunts.... yet they get to celebrate winning the CL twice, and numerous League titles!

Don't tell me God favours the Jewish people.... he fucking HATES Jews!

God is fucking Hitler!!! He BLEEDS ROYAL BLUE! He must've LOVED yesterday... especially as he's had Soppy old Russian Jew Roman Abramovitch doing all his dirty work for him these past 15 years!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom