TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

lol but thats 11 goals from 3 games, almost half his goals all season.

I really can't be arsed to go on about defoe. He's doing well this season and he's a Yid!

Well like I said he got 17 last year, and 18 the other year. Dont see how its that unlikely he'll hit 20 this season, if he keeps playing.

Lol, you know what I mean. One of the sides that have been a CL regular.

the goons had van pervie, chelsea scum cunts had drogba and torres, defoe would have scored more than torres but they couldnt sling a 50 million quid player. man city have 73 strikers so didnt need him. however, i bet fergie would have swapped him for owen over the last couple of seasons, if given the chance.

I'd rather have walker on da right back....... parker alongside dembele......... but dat position behind defoe still remains a headache...... adebayor is definitely not the 'ideal' guy 4 dat position........ maybe they'd b played alongside each other...... or sigurdsson maybe played at da attacking 3rd

I put him behind as the hold up man, but is a definate 4-4-2 for me. They proved to work as a scoring partnership last season, and without the dilemma of having to drop VDV, there is no issue for me.

They both play, and we score more goals. We are not losing out by dropping Dempsey.

I put him behind as the hold up man, but is a definate 4-4-2 for me. They proved to work as scoring partnership last season, and without the dilemma of having to drop VDV, there is no issue for me.

They both play, and we score more goals. We are not losing out by dropping Dempsey.

dempsey on the bench if needed late is a good option, he knows how to pop up unnoticed in the box. i think he's a good reader of the game, this makes up for his shortcomings. a good signing, same as gylfi but your team sheet above is pretty much our best starting 11 with those 2 as decent subs squad players. siggurdson could take a bit more time than dempsey to adapt and he could prove a really useful player, but dembele's better than either so gets the nod when fit.

Well like I said he got 17 last year, and 18 the other year. Dont see how its that unlikely he'll hit 20 this season, if he keeps playing.
He kept getting played by Redknapp two seasons ago and got 4 in the league all season.

Defoe is a player who is top notch when on form. But if you're going to get him to top form then you have to build play around him. It's why he has these games where he scores multiple times and then ends the season (sometimes) with impressive figures. But there are other games when he has to adapt and play at a different pace and altered style. When that happens he frequently goes missing because he has no creative play and is not the best at creating chances for others. Quite simply, if you are to adapt and play different teams with different tactics you can't base your whole game around the same lone attacker every week.

FWIW, it was I who was advocating dropping him earlier on, but not in all games, just to give rotation and account for times when the formation that is built around him is not suitable for a particular opponent. It will allow the other squad players to get used to working with each other, get a more match fit Ade, and give Defoe some competition and, a rest, and give opponents a sense of not knowing how we are going to play against them.

Well I hope he proves me wrong. Just seems now Ade is back fit that he will be replaced eventually.

But this is my point. Replaced by who? Siggy? Dempsey? Why?

We dont have VDV who was actually an improvement.

Whats so awful about 442, with both Ade and Defoe, who we know for a fact score shit loads of goals together?

He kept getting played by Redknapp two seasons ago and got 4 in the league all season.

Defoe is a player who is top notch when on form. But if you're going to get him to top form then you have to build play around him. It's why he has these games where he scores multiple times and then ends the season (sometimes) with impressive figures. But there are other games when he has to adapt and play at a different pace and altered style. When that happens he frequently goes missing because he has no creative play and is not the best at creating chances for others. Quite simply, if you are to adapt and play different teams with different tactics you can't base your whole game around the same lone attacker every week.

FWIW, it was I who was advocating dropping him earlier on, but not in all games, just to give rotation and account for times when the formation that is built around him is not suitable for a particular opponent. It will allow the other squad players to get used to working with each other, get a more match fit Ade, and give Defoe some competition and, a rest, and give opponents a sense of not knowing how we are going to play against them.

Im talking about playing both as I dont think we have a stronger 4-5-1 than 4-4-2 with this squad.

defoe isnt a lone striker, he does his best when played there, but he's best when he has close support because he thrives on knock downs and chaos in the box.
he's not pele or lineker, he gets offside too often and he can be a greedy cunt, but he gets stick for what he's not rather than praise for what he is, which is a goal scorer, out and out.

I think we are stronger 4-5-1 away from home. I prefer 4-4-2 at home though and would have liked to have seen Ade and Defoe start today.

But to be fair, it wasn't the attack that was the overall main issue. We conceded 4 goals at home. That's shit regardless of the formation, available players, or opposition.

Im talking about playing both as I dont think we have a stronger 4-5-1 than 4-4-2 with this squad.
I posted the same a few pages back. What I am saying is that if AVB employs rotation, which he doesn't seem to be doing, he would play variations. I think our best option is what you suggested above, namely Ade behind Defoe. But, at the same time, if Defoe gets injured then you can bet that AVB will throw in a rusty Adebayor up front with either Siggs of Dempsey behind him. My concern with that is that Adebayor won't be used to playing with Siggs or Dempsey and will be included to drop back for creative play as he often did last year when VDV was behid him.

I think we need to be starting Defoe and Ade, with Dempsey or Gylfi coming on when necessary. But I also think that AVB needs to be prepared to alter formation in games so that the latter two can come on and impact games while both Defoe and Adebayor are still on the field and further attacking options are needed, particularly if, for instance, we lose Bale or Lennon to injury. That's tactical adaption and so far AVB seems to be adapting his tactics and game about as much as Redknapp did.

Only just been able to watch the game due to work, Juan Mata made Walker look like Titus fucking Bramble, I'm gonna go stick my head in the oven.

Later.

What the fuck was Walker doing for the 4th Goal :avbcringe:

We should never have lost that game, so many fucking chances to win it. I fucking hate chelsea, they are a bunch of cunts.

But in the cold light of day, I blame whoever started the match thread.... :baletroll:

Two winnable looking league games coming up, then some trickier ones after that. 6 points would do very nicely as we go into the first really testing phase of the season (City away, Woolwich away, West Ham home, Liverpool home, Fulham away, Everton away, with Lazio away thrown in for good measure. All big games in one way or another, however you look at it). So lets get that momentum back!
:avbscream:

Back
Top Bottom