Tottenham Hotspur vs Leicester City. May 1st, Sunday – 2 PM.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Presumably he thinks that experimenting with different players in those positions is more likely to lead to negative results than sticking with what he knows. He'd rather stick with the players who have trained for 6 months as wing backs in his system than try to convert different players to that position in a very short time.

It's not like there is an obvious answer to the problem. Playing Lucas/Bergiwjn there might give us more offensive power but would you trust them sliding around on the edge of our box? Tracking runners? Heading crosses away? Playing offside? In our situation a manager like Conte is always going to prioritise defensive stability and trust in the attacking players to win us the game rather than make the team unbalanced by making a forward play in defence. Those types of experiments normally happen in preseason or the early weeks of the season, not with 5 games to go.

Surely Kane and Son can notch a few goals and make the issues at wing-back irrelevant (in the short term)?

You say that, but how many games have we won with Sess and Royal or even either? Bet it's not many.
Our best run of form came with either or both of Doherty and Reguilon.

The only attacker that Conte has ever talked about playing at wing back is Kulusevski, he mentioned it when we first signed him and he mentioned it again today in the press conference. Although he spoke about it being more of an emergency option if we are desperate. If someone else plays at RWB I expect it will be him and not Lucas or Bergwijn.

Most of the last 25+years if I watch us play Leicester we lose.

If I don’t we generally win.

I’m in the Cotswolds this weekend and I’m going to purposefully avoid all tv’s looking on my phone etc.

Yes I know I’m a hero.

dog-running.gif

(All donated beers at the NLD will suffice my superhero needs).

Well I have been picking on people all season for calling practically every game a “must win” which is usually a huge exaggeration (and has been, considering we’ve failed to win at least 5 must win games and are still in the hunt).

I’m finally ready to call this a must win.

I don’t see Woolwich dropping points in 2 of the 4 games besides us. And I don’t see us beating Liverpool and winning the last 4 games. I guess technically, we could draw this and Liverpool and pass Woolwich if they lose one of their other matches. (All of this assuming we beat Woolwich)

Last edited:
The only attacker that Conte has ever talked about playing at wing back is Kulusevski, he mentioned it when we first signed him and he mentioned it again today in the press conference. Although he spoke about it being more of an emergency option if we are desperate. If someone else plays at RWB I expect it will be him and not Lucas or Bergwijn.
He put Bergwijn on as a LWB and mentioned as much after the game. I forget which one it was.

Presumably he thinks that experimenting with different players in those positions is more likely to lead to negative results than sticking with what he knows. He'd rather stick with the players who have trained for 6 months as wing backs in his system than try to convert different players to that position in a very short time.

It's not like there is an obvious answer to the problem. Playing Lucas/Bergiwjn there might give us more offensive power but would you trust them sliding around on the edge of our box? Tracking runners? Heading crosses away? Playing offside? In our situation a manager like Conte is always going to prioritise defensive stability and trust in the attacking players to win us the game rather than make the team unbalanced by making a forward play in defence. Those types of experiments normally happen in preseason or the early weeks of the season, not with 5 games to go.

Surely Kane and Son can notch a few goals and make the issues at wing-back irrelevant (in the short term)?
The team is already unbalanced because we are trying to play a bog standard defensive-minded RB as a vital component of our attack when he is clearly not up to task. And on the other wing we also have 0 threat from the timid child.

It's even more bizarre when you see what Conte did with Perisic, Young, Moses etc.

We've got 5 games left to go and get top 4. Draws are no good to us. We should be willing to take more risk and lose some defensive stability to get those points. Who cares if we finish 5th or 8th? Champions League football is the prize on offer.

To Dare Is To Do, an' all that.

The team is already unbalanced because we are trying to play a bog standard defensive-minded RB as a vital component of our attack when he is clearly not up to task. And on the other wing we also have 0 threat from the timid child.

It's even more bizarre when you see what Conte did with Perisic, Young, Moses etc.

We've got 5 games left to go and get top 4. Draws are no good to us. We should be willing to take more risk and lose some defensive stability to get those points. Who cares if we finish 5th or 8th? Champions League football is the prize on offer.

To Dare Is To Do, an' all that.
Absolutely spot on. Have we ever won a single game with both Sess and that Brazilian fake at wing back?

Well I have been picking on people all season for calling practically every game a “must win” which is usually a huge exaggeration (and has been, considering we’ve failed to win at least 5 must win games and are still in the hunt).

I’m finally ready to call this a must win.

I don’t see Woolwich dropping points in 2 of the 4 games besides us. And I don’t see us beating Liverpool and winning the last 4 games. I guess technically, we could draw this and Liverpool and pass Woolwich if they lose one of their other matches. (All of this assuming we beat Woolwich)
Playing as we have in the last two games I can’t see us winning another game

Hope I’m wrong

Absolutely spot on. Have we ever won a single game with both Sess and that Brazilian fake at wing back?

They both started the win over Manchester City .. but in basically every other game (ones where they've needed to create, not just sit back and nullify) we've put in dreadful performances when they start, and been unable to break teams down.

Awful players. Amazes me that some will still defend them. Not even close to top 4 quality in any position, let alone as wing backs in a Conte team.

It's just a QR code so yes.
When you get to the turn style you will have to open the image of the QR code and hold it image side up under the scanner.

I have to say, queuing up for the turnstyles week after week after week watching people struggle to get in is my biggest stadium gripe.
They need to look at it as it's painful. There's always friction as well as you have people strugling to work it out then staff trying to tell them what to do and then there's arguments.

I regularly watch 5-10 people ahead of me struggle to get in then I waltz up, tap my phone and stroll in.
They copied it from the Gooners Death star and watching that lot trying to negotiate QR codes is literally like watching Ibsen performed by gerbils.

Leicester will allow us to play and create chances. If we keep it tight at the back we'll win this comfortably.

Few rumours that Lucas could start at RWB.........
Madness - Berg seems a much better option. I’ve never rated Lucas wide

Manchester City away...

But yeah, they are generally useless. But so far with us Conte has only ever fiddled with the wing-backs out of desperation later in matches. He just isn't the type of manager to throw a curveball with his starting XI. I think it's time to change it but managers as experienced as him rarely change their principles. I think he will still trust that Kane, Son and Kulusevski can win us the matches even with two limited wing-backs.

Back
Top Bottom