Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool | Sunday 19 Dec | 16:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem is, if you have some teams getting games under their belts and others not, the others will have to cram them into a tight schedule which might well have a negative impact on the performances.
So imagine if you're Liverpool, who haven't had a game called off yet, you're quite happy to play at a normal pace as long as possible.
We're already 3 games down and will struggle to find time to play them.
You'd rather play 1-2 games a week, week on week, than have 3 weeks off and have to play 9 games in 15 days to make up for it. Especially if a lot of those games are against your rivals 2 days after the last game when they had 4 days rest.

The problem is, if you have some teams getting games under their belts and others not, the others will have to cram them into a tight schedule which might well have a negative impact on the performances.
So imagine if you're Liverpool, who haven't had a game called off yet, you're quite happy to play at a normal pace as long as possible.
We're already 3 games down and will struggle to find time to play them.
You'd rather play 1-2 games a week, week on week, than have 3 weeks off and have to play 9 games in 15 days to make up for it. Especially if a lot of those games are against your rivals 2 days after the last game when they had 4 days rest.
i would suggest staggering the teams without games,but COVID probably wouldn't play ball

I'm surprised it's taken this long to be proposed.

Would make a lot of sense as postposing 1/3 of all games every weekend for a few weeks isn't sustainable, nor very fair
With so many clubs affected now it seems almost inevitable that the planned break in January-February gets moved to over the holidays.

The league requires a 2/3 majority to pass a vote doesn't it? And 2/3 out of the clubs are definitely affected by the virus right now so I can understand the clubs pushing for it.

There's no summer tournament, why not just postpone the season for a couple of weeks and extend it at the end of the season?
Because, unfortunately, there is a winter tournament. Would mean finishing the season in June and probably starting it again in July, stopping for a WC in the winter then restarting the league.

Personally, I'd bin all international football off for now. It's fucking tedious shit and is just helping spreading covid anyway

A mate just sent me a screenshot of the south stand for Sunday. Looks like 20% or so are on the exchange or unsold. Judging by that there must be thousands of tickets on the exchange.

Isn't it the great nations league in the summer? Another pointless competition. :contefacepalm:
That heap of shit should have never been conceived.

Needs binning now and embarrassing that they held the draw for it yesterday in the current European situation

With so many clubs affected now it seems almost inevitable that the planned break in January-February gets moved to over the holidays.

The league requires a 2/3 majority to pass a vote doesn't it? And 2/3 out of the clubs are definitely affected by the virus right now so I can understand the clubs pushing for it.
I’m struggling to think of any club who hasn’t been hit with it. Villa, Leeds, Soton, Newcastle?

I think the league need to be clear, if it's being done on a game by game basis, that there should be a min number of covid cases and they expect full proven test results.
We cannot have teams with general injuries worming out of playing to increase their chances.

Back
Top Bottom