Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fairly happy about this. After watching yesterday Conte could really have us in or very near top 4 and/or challenging for the domestic cups, especially with a good January window. If we'd have remained in the conference it would have killed our season, especially with 3 league games to catch up on. The whole thing was dreadful and i may be in the minority but happy to be shot of it.

Feel like I should be posting something as this is big news according to the BBC. Reality is I honestly couldn’t care either way. This outcome is probably best for us and our season. The fact we’re in this position at all is partly on Covid, partly on the ECL, partly on Nuno… and hopefully all will be long forgotten by the end of the season.

Fairly happy about this. After watching yesterday Conte could really have us in or very near top 4 and/or challenging for the domestic cups, especially with a good January window. If we'd have remained in the conference it would have killed our season, especially with 3 league games to catch up on. The whole thing was dreadful and i may be in the minority but happy to be shot of it.

It probably won’t be here in 5 years, to me it’a way below the league cup and barley above the Audi Cup.

Feel like I should be posting something as this is big news according to the BBC. Reality is I honestly couldn’t care either way. This outcome is probably best for us and our season. The fact we’re in this position at all is partly on Covid, partly on the ECL, partly on Nuno… and hopefully all will be long forgotten by the end of the season.

I blame the players for strolling more than I do Nuno.

All of our away performances were offensively bad.

lRhECGR.jpeg

This is the best possible outcome from all of this.

Obviously we will benefit from having it easier to rearrange the other postponed games now. But I am still miffed and I don't share the "lucky to be out of this small time competition" mindset that others have.

I want Spurs to be a big winning club. And that requires developing winning mentality. You don't breed winning mentality by choosing which competitions that you want to win.

Spurs should want to win every trophy that they can, and that includes the ECL. City don't celebrate their League cups any less just because they haven't won a CL yet.

Silly decision by UEFA. But let's just move on.

You absolutely do. Just take a look of Liverpool lineups in early rounds of domestic cups before their wins in EPL and CL.

Sport is very much like life - there are priorities. You cannot be best husband in the world, train full time to beat world record in 100 meters race, be a coach to youngsters and start your own business on top of that. You cannot.

What would winning ECL have proven? It is 3rd level competition in UEFA system. I much rather fight on highest level and lose out, rather than put all of my efforts into winning 3rd level competition while it directly hinders chances of achieving something in the top level. Putting main or equal focus on such competition as ECL is similar like some kind of world level triathlete going to random village competition, while at the same time there is a Ironman series race somewhere. What do you prove if you beat Krasnodars, Genks, Sheriffs etc? That you are better than Russian league 3rd side. Oh wow.

I much rather lose in CL final then to win 3 consecutive ECL cups. One achievement matters and is really desirable. Other is literally 3rd tier event. Priorities.

Disappointed but not surprised at the decision. No mention of any financial penalty and so it could have been worse. I believe the lack of coefficients this season will come to haunt us in the future
Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
ENG21.00026.00016.00015.0005.00083.00019.842

The 5000 figure is this year and there are teams still in Europe that could get more points and overtake us. Not all on this decision but on the inability to take the competition seriously so we could qualify even losing this match. Danger when we qualify for future CL that we will like in the early years of qualifying end up with a very tough draw.

We will never know what sort of team we could have put out and whether they would have won.

I am so desperate for us to win a trophy, but honestly I am so glad we are not in this competition now and this won’t be it. Other rivals will still take the piss out of us even if we won it, it has that low merit of a competition that it virtually does nothing for the club. It’s a rubbish 3rd rate competition that is good for smaller clubs that want a taste of Europe, end of story. Winning it does nothing and going out of it naturally would be even more embarrassing. The fact we have been kicked out means nobody can really take the piss. We go out of it for no fault of our own. I am glad we now don’t have to play in it.

The banter for winning it would be worse than the banter for getting knocked out of it!

Corrupt decision against Tottenham by UEFA who have always treated this club badly. This is the same virus that is decimating football in Europe and causing riots yet UEFA has their head in the sand and punish clubs who try to protect their players from the virus.

Back
Top Bottom