Tottenham (the area)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, I kind of remember the name change to Webster's but had moved on geographically then. I don't remember pre-Elton's though, a bit before my time. Always used to make me laugh that was invariably always some some of kick-off at (appropriately) kicking-out time at both nightclubs when there was the cop shop 50 yards from both places.
Yeah, amazed me as well.
I never drank there in the Eagle days,way too young.And never went in there in the Eltons or Websters days,not my thing.But i seem to recall it going under another name in the 90s,and popping in there for a late drink once or twice.

Yeah, amazed me as well.
I never drank there in the Eagle days,way too young.And never went in there in the Eltons or Websters days,not my thing.But i seem to recall it going under another name in the 90s,and popping in there for a late drink once or twice.
No, I was never a nightclub person but my friends were so now and again I had to make the effort. Was more of a pub person with Hackney Road and Bethnal Green Road being the places to be at the time. But that's another thread.

We w

We were talking about the rec and jumping the Moselle Monday night,funny enough.
My mate Pat was brought up on the Farm(Hornchurch block) and spent much of his youth over the rec.
Was saying that the various places they jumped the Moselle were given names,the biggest being "the king".
Yep, you had the King and the Queen, i tried to jump the King once slipped and fell in shouting i can;t swim at which point my brother shouted stand up you twit, the water came barely above my waist.....

Yup - knows it well.

It was the Tottenham Royal.
My parents went there in the 50s,it was a teddy boy hang out then.later it was Mod,and later still a skinhead hang out.
Was a main venue of British youth culture for years.
I never went there,as it wasnt my thing.Regret it now.
My parents also used to frequent, they both worked in Gestetners.

I only went in there once when it was the Ritzy and once was enough....

No, I was never a nightclub person but my friends were so now and again I had to make the effort. Was more of a pub person with Hackney Road and Bethnal Green Road being the places to be at the time. But that's another thread.
That reminds me of a weird coincidence.
Years ago, we were doing some work just off West Green Road and popped in to the Fox for a lunchtime drink. They had this amazing stripper in there. A pepsi cola bottle springs to mind...

Anyway, a few months later we were working just off of Old Street and went for a pint in the pub on the corner of Hackney Road/Kingsland Road. (forget the name of it now)
Well lo and behold, the same stripper was in there. She even recognised me. But I shall go no further...;)

That reminds me of a weird coincidence.
Years ago, we were doing some work just off West Green Road and popped in to the Fox for a lunchtime drink. They had this amazing stripper in there. A pepsi cola bottle springs to mind...

Anyway, a few months later we were working just off of Old Street and went for a pint in the pub on the corner of Hackney Road/Kingsland Road. (forget the name of it now)
Well lo and behold, the same stripper was in there. She even recognised me. But I shall go no further...;)
Browns or ye olde axe a bit further up.

Thanks for clarifying.

It wasn't fancy but it was good fun, whereas Elton's was less fun but a bit more fancy (by standards of the time), imo. The Bull was my usual starting point - I loved the place - it was a proper night-out pub but still completely Tottenham. My favourite pub in the vicinity.
Agree

Wasn't the Ritz(y) previously known as the Tottenham Royalty? I seemed to remember a couple of name changes. Plus Elton's too on Chestnut Road, which demanded a bit more 'effort' than the Ritzy/Royalty as it was seen to be a bit more 'cool'. The Ritzy/Royalty was a great place for an 18/19 y/o in the very early 80s to learn about and further explore the phenomena that was 'the older woman'.
‘Explore the older woman’ so true! 😂😂😂

areas still dodgy as fuck. Gangs galore and the worst thing is they don't even get along with eachother as well as the neighbouring areas.

Northumberland Park area still a shit hole, Broadwater Farm still a shit hole, N15 still a shithole. The high Street Is somewhat decent I guess.
A former poster on here was accused of racism for saying pretty much the same thing.

areas still dodgy as fuck. Gangs galore and the worst thing is they don't even get along with eachother as well as the neighbouring areas.

Northumberland Park area still a shit hole, Broadwater Farm still a shit hole, N15 still a shithole. The high Street Is somewhat decent I guess.
You might think Broadwater Farm is a shithole (as do i) but the people who live there seem to like it. In fact they have resisted all attempts to rebuild and modernize the place.

It should be raised to the ground and rebuilt with modern, affordable housing and could be a really nice project. But the folks who live on the estate have been indulged for years by the Council so they basically get anything they want.

I've lived in loads of different parts of North London and every area has its 'issues' and Tottenham is no different.....i'd still rather walk around N17 than parts of Edmonton.......
Definitely many parts of London far worse for crime, gangs and general lawlessness than Tottenham. Even in Haringey, it's not actually as bad as the toilet most of Wood Green has turned into.

Last edited:
Definitely many parts of London far worse for crime, gangs and general lawlessness than Tottenham. Even in Haringey ,it's not actually as bad as the toilet most of Wood Green has turned into.
To be fair,most of Wood Green is actually very nice.Its the bad bits that are really bad,that give it a bad name.Up round Ally park ,Bowes park borders etc.All decent.Its the high road and a few other places that are hell on earth.

You might think Broadwater Farm is a shithole (as do i) but the people who live there seem to like it. In fact they have resisted all attempts to rebuild and modernize the place.

It should be raised to the ground and rebuilt with modern, affordable housing and could be a really nice project. But the folks who live on the estate have been indulged for years by the Council so they basically get anything they want.
According to my Dad they are going to flatten Tangmere and the tower blocks, he was also told that Tangmere is sinking albeit at a very slow rate as the ground underneath was traditionally marshy and acted as a flood plain for the Moselle........anyway the flats themselves, when i was growing up in the 70s my Mum got friendly with a couple who lived in Tangmere, they loved it and had even moved from Spain back to Tottenham to live on the farm!!!

Back
Top Bottom