Tottenham (the area)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

According to my Dad they are going to flatten Tangmere and the tower blocks, he was also told that Tangmere is sinking albeit at a very slow rate as the ground underneath was traditionally marshy and acted as a flood plain for the Moselle........anyway the flats themselves, when i was growing up in the 70s my Mum got friendly with a couple who lived in Tangmere, they loved it and had even moved from Spain back to Tottenham to live on the farm!!!
2 of the blocks are being demolished and rebuilt but only because they failed safety checks. There was some issue i read where nobody was allowed to have a gas cooker in those blocks or there was a risk of explosion. Not exactly reassuring for those living there.

If i had my way i would demolish the whole fucking estate and rebuild it fit for the 21st century. The residents will never allow that though they all seem far too proud of the 'community' they have there. Plus the Council and government are so terrified of the residents protesting or rioting they are too fearful to attempt it.

Remember The Fishmongers and Fagans? Live rock on Friday nights and then through the back into Fagans.
Now ya talking!
We had a ska and reggae night there in 94/95.
I dont mind that end of the high road.
Wood Green was interesting in the 90s and before.
And the Queens up by Turnpike lane,i promoted gigs in there.

Last edited:
A former poster on here was accused of racism for saying pretty much the same thing.
how is it racist? even though I don't have to justify myself I will say I'm black if that makes it any less racist.

Tottenham is a shithole...thats a fact. Gangs in the same damn area are stabbing eachother almost daily and thats not even including gangs from edmonton, Turnpike Lane and wood green going to Tottenham on regular basis actively trying to kill someone. If anything it's actually getting worse which is baffling.

how is it racist? even though I don't have to justify myself I will say I'm black if that makes it any less racist.

Tottenham is a shithole...thats a fact. Gangs in the same damn area are stabbing eachother almost daily and thats not even including gangs from edmonton, Turnpike Lane and wood green going to Tottenham on regular basis actively trying to kill someone. If anything it's actually getting worse which is baffling.
It's not racist, that's my point.

superstaryid superstaryid once said Tottenham was a shithole, a few steamed in on him calling him a racist.

2 of the blocks are being demolished and rebuilt but only because they failed safety checks. There was some issue i read where nobody was allowed to have a gas cooker in those blocks or there was a risk of explosion. Not exactly reassuring for those living there.

If i had my way i would demolish the whole fucking estate and rebuild it fit for the 21st century. The residents will never allow that though they all seem far too proud of the 'community' they have there. Plus the Council and government are so terrified of the residents protesting or rioting they are too fearful to attempt it.
Yeah, he mentioned something about gas safety too but he was rambling on a bit too much for me!!

I'd have demolished it years ago instead of ploughing truckloads of money in, but there you go.......

Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale have been showing small signs of "gentrification" for a while, you'll always see that near stations with good links - just an extension of what happened in Islington. But between the A10 and the River Lee from Tottenham up through Edmonton, basically north all the way to Cheshunt is some of the most deprived areas of the country, pretty much uninterrupted.

I used to get a bus home from Silver Street for home games. Needed your wits about you hanging around there, was horrible.

Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale have been showing small signs of "gentrification" for a while, you'll always see that near stations with good links - just an extension of what happened in Islington. But between the A10 and the River Lee from Tottenham up through Edmonton, basically north all the way to Cheshunt is some of the most deprived areas of the country, pretty much uninterrupted.

I used to get a bus home from Silver Street for home games. Needed your wits about you hanging around there, was horrible.
I have always felt iffy round Edmonton.Even as a kid.

I had relatives around Edmonton Green, it was always an odd area, the bloke from It Ain't Arf Hot Mum used to busk outside the shopping centre.........anyway i digress, what i was going to say was i never and still never feel iffy when i'm in Tottenham, i tihnk growing up there helps, but i've never experienced any bother at all, lived in Finchley for a bit, had loads of bother with dodgy characters in my road hanging around and got burgled too, there you go, that's London for you.......

You sure about that? I'm not saying it's ideal but many parts of the country are absolute fucking cesspits and far worse than Tottenham. Try visiting the areas around Anfield\Everton. Parts of Manchester and most of the towns in Yorkshire like Hull and Doncaster have areas that are just horrendous dumps. Spend a day in Luton and you'll think Tottenham is Beverley Hills.

We all know Tottenham isn't perfect but there are far worse parts of the country. And indeed far worse parts of London. Most of the inner city areas of South London are fucking disgusting. I'd take Tottenham anyday over parts of Lambeth and Peckham etc. Hackney has horrific estates worse than anything in N17/N15. Even trendy Islington has some absolutely terrible council estates.

There's some people here who've seen too many movies about life in the hood and the nearest they get to it is Tottenham so they automatically assume that's as bad as it can get. Trust me you have far worse areas in London and the rest of the country than N17.

You sure about that? I'm not saying it's ideal but many parts of the country are absolute fucking cesspits and far worse than Tottenham. Try visiting the areas around Anfield\Everton. Parts of Manchester and most of the towns in Yorkshire like Hull and Doncaster have areas that are just horrendous dumps. Spend a day in Luton and you'll think Tottenham is Beverley Hills.

We all know Tottenham isn't perfect but there are far worse parts of the country. And indeed far worse parts of London. Most of the inner city areas of South London are fucking disgusting. I'd take Tottenham anyday over parts of Lambeth and Peckham etc. Hackney has horrific estates worse than anything in N17/N15. Even trendy Islington has some absolutely terrible council estates.

There's some people here who've seen too many movies about life in the hood and the nearest they get to it is Tottenham so they automatically assume that's as bad as it can get. Trust me you have far worse areas in London and the rest of the country than N17.
It's amongst the worst, most deprived 10% for the whole corridor. Of course there are very nice bits away from it Winchmore Hill and beyond. Familiar with lots of your examples and would agree with lots of it.
I've spent many days in Luton. It's not all Bury Park, there are nice bits of the town, far nicer than anywhere in the patch I mentioned.

You're spot on about Luton. It's a total cesspit.

Funnily enough, I loved Edmonton as a kid. Had loads of mates there which obviously helped. It was a tough area, yes - but it had much more of a community feel back then.
The estates were rough and ready, but everyone seemed to know everyone. If you kept your nose clean you were fine.
I'm talking about the area that stretched from the Green down to Brantwood Road on both sides of Fore Street.

Back
Top Bottom