Tottenham (the area)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Funnily enough, I loved Edmonton as a kid. Had loads of mates there which obviously helped. It was a tough area, yes - but it had much more of a community feel back then.
The estates were rough and ready, but everyone seemed to know everyone. If you kept your nose clean you were fine.
I'm talking about the area that stretched from the Green down to Brantwood Road on both sides of Fore Street.
My Dad loved Edmonton as well.We were up the Green shield stamps place on a Saturday loads when i was a kid, and the green.He drank round there a lot as a young man,so hence why he had an affinity with the place.It was quite a cool place in the 50s,he saw Bill Haley and the Comets there.Chas Hodges says similar in his autobiography

Last edited:
I still can't believe M&S and BHS are no more.

And the days of the Co-op, Woolworths, Coles and the Wimpy Bar etc.

Interesting if you know the area...

Use to go in BHS for a bit of lunch sometinmes,decent cheap and cheerful restuarant.Same as pearsons ,when that was there.Wood green was interesting a few years back.boring now.Practical,but boring.

Use to go in BHS for a bit of lunch sometinmes,decent cheap and cheerful restuarant.Same as pearsons ,when that was there.Wood green was interesting a few years back.boring now.Practical,but boring.
Did excellent food in BHS - decent value for money too. I can remember when McDonalds first opened up back in the 70's - used to be Tescos before that. The only two pubs I frequented in Wood Green were the Fishmongers and the Nightingale, down by the police station.

Did excellent food in BHS - decent value for money too. I can remember when McDonalds first opened up back in the 70's - used to be Tescos before that. The only two pubs I frequented in Wood Green were the Fishmongers and the Nightingale, down by the police station.
Know them both ,very well.
My mate run the Fish for a while,up until it became crap Irish theme pub.Had some brilliant nights in there.
Had an old school reggae night out the back on a sunday in the mid 90s.
Like wise the Nightingale.Last time i ever got nicked was outside there after an altercation with a group of lairy tossers .Only time in my life ,i have been arrested and walked to the police station, as it was next door 😁

Last edited:
I still can't believe M&S and BHS are no more.

And the days of the Co-op, Woolworths, Coles and the Wimpy Bar etc.

Interesting if you know the area...

Know them both ,very well.
My mate run the Fish for a while,upo until it became crap Irish theme pub.Had some brilliant nights in there.
Had an old school reagge night out the back on a sunday in the mid 90s.
Like wise the Nightingale.Last time i ever got nicked was outside there after an altercation with a group of lairy tossers .Only time in my life ,i have been arrested and walked to the police station, as it was next door 😁
There was a pub opposite The Jolly Butchers i went in a few times, The Nelson i think, and there was one down the Turnpike Lane end behind Wendy Burgers but i'm buggered if i can remember the name, it became quite grotty.....

There was a pub opposite The Jolly Butchers i went in a few times, The Nelson i think, and there was one down the Turnpike Lane end behind Wendy Burgers but i'm buggered if i can remember the name, it became quite grotty.....
The Pub opposite the fishmongers was the Kings arms(i think).A mate in my local from a fairly well known gooner family tells a tale that on a sunday,all the wood green lot would split into their two teams (us, & Arse ) and drink with their own.Spurs in the kings,Woolwich in the fish.Then and closing time,they would meet outside and have a tear up.And they were mates!
A very well known Spurs fan,once seen running across the pitch with a father Christmas hat at highbury was a mate of theirs(the family from my local) and lodged with them for a while.Thats how funny/silly it was :)
Yeah, the Nelson was opposite the Butcher(as it w as knowm then) was myfootball watching local up until it closed a few years back.Fairly new pu,as was a car place up until the mid 90s.
The one behind Wendys was the Litten Tree(ownd by Kiss FM, i think).There was a chain of them,pre club pubs for a dancy crowd.Then it briefly became the Wood Green Tavern, but lost its licence after someone was shot dead in there.
Councils are funny like that...

The Pub opposite the fishmongers was the Kings arms(i think).A mate in my local from a fairly well known gooner family tells a tale that on a sunday,all the wood green lot would split into their two teams (us, & Arse ) and drink with their own.Spurs in the kings,Woolwich in the fish.Then and closing time,they would meet outside and have a tear up.And they were mates!
A very well known Spurs fan,once seen running across the pitch with a father Christmas hat at highbury was a mate of theirs(the family from my local) and lodged with them for a while.Thats how funny/silly it was :)
Yeah, the Nelson was opposite the Butcher(as it w as knowm then) was myfootball watching local up until it closed a few years back.Fairly new pu,as was a car place up until the mid 90s.
The one behind Wendys was the Litten Tree(ownd by Kiss FM, i think).There was a chain of them,pre club pubs for a dancy crowd.Then it briefly became the Wood Green Tavern, but lost its licence after someone was shot dead in there.
Haha, that's a funny story, years ago i went to Spurs v Arse when Gazza score a beauty but we lost the game, so i'm walking down Lordship Lane afters with my two mates when this huge fella comes up to me and scream haha we won 3-2, now i'm a lover not a fighter but we started having a push and a shove when out of know where my old man appears on his womens shopper bike, drops the bike, picks this fella up and dumps him in a bush......end of story!!

Yup - the Kings Arms. Can certainly vouch for the fifty cuffs, as some from my way were involved.
The Westbury - which was fairly rough back in the day, has had an overhaul. Quite gentrified now - doing a good trade though

Yup - the Kings Arms. Can certainly vouch for the fifty cuffs, as some from my way were involved.
The Westbury - which was fairly rough back in the day, has had an overhaul. Quite gentrified now - doing a good trade though
That is a bit yuppified these days,with prices to match.
Same as the Salisbury on Green lanes.
Makes me chuckle how these pubs are now compared to what they were.

That is a bit yuppified these days,with prices to match.
Same as the Salisbury on Green lanes.
Makes me chuckle how these pubs are now compared to what they were.
Blimey - the Salisbury! Not been in there for over 30 years. Remember that pool table like it was yesterday.
Memories of the Long Good Friday.

Blimey - the Salisbury! Not been in there for over 30 years. Remember that pool table like it was yesterday.
Memories of the Long Good Friday.
Yep.Pretend Belfast :)
A mates younger brother started a wild west style brawl in there about 27 years back! Funny looking back on it,but not at the time.
He pinched a girls backside, her boyfriend hit another bloke thinking it was him,blokes mate hit boyfriend and it went from there...
Total Chaos

Edmonton boy here, left in 89. Went to Haselbury and Huxley. Used to love Saturday morning at The Regal.
Brother worked in Don's, the fishing tackle place.
We used to hang around The Green, play footie in Pymmes Park.
Used to love the walk down Bull Lane into Tottenham for the game.
Not been back in ages, probably wouldn't recognise the place.

Edmonton boy here, left in 89. Went to Haselbury and Huxley. Used to love Saturday morning at The Regal.
If your brother worked in Dons in the late 70s, i would have probably seen him when on visits with my dad.

Pollocks, Brentford Nylons, The Globe and of course the Regal, always spring to mind when I think of Edmonton.

Back
Top Bottom