Tottenham v Bournmouth (30.11.19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't understand this tinkering.

Barring injuries, start the same team as started on Tuesday. And again on Wednesday against some outfit from Manchester.
Any manager worth his salt has to tinker. He needs to know individual strengths, player combinations and so forth. It's going to take a while for JM to sort all this out. At least we're out of the danger zone whilst he analyses the team. I'm not particularly bothered where we finish this season ( top 4 would be nice though) because this is time consuming. I think next season is when he's going to know the squad well enough to pick the right players in the correct position for each game. He's not an impulsive guy. He'll do an excellent job. He just needs time.

Any manager worth his salt has to tinker. He needs to know individual strengths, player combinations and so forth. It's going to take a while for JM to sort all this out. At least we're out of the danger zone whilst he analyses the team. I'm not particularly bothered where we finish this season ( top 4 would be nice though) because this is time consuming. I think next season is when he's going to know the squad well enough to pick the right players in the correct position for each game. He's not an impulsive guy. He'll do an excellent job. He just needs time.
But surely you agree that Mou will think of nothing outside of Top 4 as his job. Nothing. Good CL - great. Everything else is secondary. Relentless and merciless pursuit of getting top 4. The rest will follow next year.

Can’t remember the last Friday night where all I’m thinking about is setting off the next morning to the Lane. Nothing to do with Poch or Mourinho, just that the spiritual excitement is back. Long may it continue, may even take them up on the pie and a pint deal I’m that eager.

But surely you agree that Mou will think of nothing outside of Top 4 as his job. Nothing. Good CL - great. Everything else is secondary. Relentless and merciless pursuit of getting top 4. The rest will follow next year.
No. I don't necessarily agree. He's been brought in to stop the rot and rebuild confidence, hope, and mostly to put back together a bunch of guys who were not a team in the true sense of the world. Obviously he would love to be in the CL next season but as I see it, there's no magic wand to wave. The reconstruction of a great team takes time and work and I think he's sensible enough not to try to rush things. I I understand your point but I would think his remit is get them playing as a team again and then build on that. To Levy and ENIC, he's an investment and as with all investments, you have to give them time. I see us in the top 4 next season for sure and I'm not discounting this season although I think it unlikely. I have zero doubts that we have done the right thing but I'm not going to be too unhappy about not making it this year.

No. I don't necessarily agree. He's been brought in to stop the rot and rebuild confidence, hope, and mostly to put back together a bunch of guys who were not a team in the true sense of the world. Obviously he would love to be in the CL next season but as I see it, there's no magic wand to wave. The reconstruction of a great team takes time and work and I think he's sensible enough not to try to rush things. I I understand your point but I would think his remit is get them playing as a team again and then build on that. To Levy and ENIC, he's an investment and as with all investments, you have to give them time. I see us in the top 4 next season for sure and I'm not discounting this season although I think it unlikely. I have zero doubts that we have done the right thing but I'm not going to be too unhappy about not making it this year.
Fair enough and as mature fans :adegrin: we have the luxury of time, but I don't think ENIC see it that way. Impossible to know exactly what impact there may be on the debt restructure if we don't quality for CL but I think JM may have many targets in the short, medium and long term but in the short, CL is a must have.

I agree with all of this. However, save the majority of your tinkering for pre-season and cup games.

Mid season is not the time to start experimenting with line-ups other than when you're forced to e.g. injury, suspension or loss of form.

I have the view that tinkering is an admission that you don't quite know what your best line-up is.

Can’t remember the last Friday night where all I’m thinking about is setting off the next morning to the Lane. Nothing to do with Poch or Mourinho, just that the spiritual excitement is back. Long may it continue, may even take them up on the pie and a pint deal I’m that eager.
Isn't it weird though? We were all so happy with Poch for such a long time and yet him leaving has re-energized the entire club, from the supporters to the players.

Not sure why that is the case but honestly that's how I feel as well, maybe things weren't as good as we thought they were.

Jose said he sees Ryan in the Ashley Cole mold, but that may not be in the cards for awhile. It would be nice to see some appearances for the kid on the wings, but man, a Cole would be amazing to have in the future.

So with that clear it is going to be Rose for now until Ben gets healthy.

Jose said he sees Ryan in the Ashley Cole mold, but that may not be in the cards for awhile. It would be nice to see some appearances for the kid on the wings, but man, a Cole would be amazing to have in the future.

So with that clear it is going to be Rose for now until Ben gets healthy.
As a player or as someone commuting to work and having a catch-up with his agent?

My landlord is a Liverpool supporter so I called in earlier to confirm I'd be there Saturday for the game. He has a chromecast and I send a stream via my mobile to his TV. I shouted across the bar "See you for the big match tomorrow" and he gave me the thumbs up, then I added "I'll bring my tablet as well so you can watch Liverpool too". The language was disgusting......
:mourshock:
There will also be two gooners there I expect, can't wait to give them some feckin stick :thumbup:

Spurs 4 Bournemouth 0

Last edited:
If it's realistic it would be hard to argue, but if we deemphasize the other competitions for a quixotic hopeless quest to keep the CL revenue flowing, I think that will speak serious volumes.

I don't think it would tell us anything that we didn't already know.... Club's priority is growth and the best possible tilt at the major trophies along the way.

Do you think Poch would have got away with speaking as he did regarding the domestic cups for five years otherwise?

Tbh, I'm comfortable with that, being that for me league position is a true measure of how good a team is anyway.

[insert "cups require luck/league requires consistency" debate]

Last edited:
I don't think it would tell us anything that than we didn't already know.... Club's priority is growth and the best possible tilt at the major trophies along the way.

Do you think Poch would have got away with speaking as he did regarding the domestic cups for five years otherwise?

Tbh, I'm comfortable with that, being that for me league position is a true measure of how good a team is anyway.

[insert "cups require luck/league requires consistency" debate]
I agree that the league table doesn’t lie, but I’m desperate for some sort of trophy now, that’s what the games about

I agree that the league table doesn’t lie, but I’m desperate for some sort of trophy now, that’s what the games about

That and/or being "the best".... [insert "what is glory" / "Wigan won the cup" debate]

Besides:

A1910392_x500.jpg

tottenham-kitchee-sc-260517x.jpg

The league table does lie, but generally just little white lies, winning cups can be, not always, but can be more like a Donald Trump campaign slogan at times. Imagine if we'd won the CL last season. That would have been a fucking whopper.

Back
Top Bottom