Tottenham v Everton - Sunday September 13, 4:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disgraceful 2nd half display. Zero fightback, zero guts, zero clue.

Defensively well poor, especially on our right flank. Early days, but Doherty wasn't good defensively, and Holberg looked a right plodder.

Very discouraging for the rest of the season
Doherty and Hedgehog look like identical twins. Maybe Jose got them mixed up and played them in each others position.

Just want to write a post based a footballing matters here.

Its been mentioned in bits and pieces but the difference between the 2 sides is the quality in midfield. Our transfer policy of buying players with sell on value is killing us. Put Allan instead of Hojbjerg. Doucoure instead of Sissoko. Gomes instead of Winks. We win that game without the other team getting a sniff.
I posted last week after watching Denmark play that Hojbjerg quality on the ball is so poor. Both today and last week he won the ball and instantly gave it back because of the poor quality on the ball. I don't think we have improved the quality of midfield with that signing. We all know Sissoko doesn't have quality on the ball either and Winks is tidy but ineffective.
Statistically speaking the ball will pass through the middle of the of pitch the most. You need to have players in Central midfield that are actively looking to take the ball even under pressure. A player bereft of quality will always hide (Sissoko case in point). Winks doesn't hide and that is why I say he has quality on the ball but his use of it afterwards is so predictable that it doesn't harm the other team. The second half substitution may be the worst tactical change I've seen in the past decade. We became worse by having Winks, Sissoko and PEH. Dele wasn't great but he was still involved in 2 chances in the first half which we could have scored from. Dele was also the link between the midfield and the forward players. We lost this from that substitution. Lucas can't play in the middle, don't care what anyone says. Especially when there is no space to run into.

Anyway back on point. The substitution meant we couldn't transition the ball through midfield because the players don't have the quality to do so. Leaving us going to a long ball tactic. We have zero wing play, Davies won't come forward and Lucas was moved inside for the great Sissoko and the link up with Doherty obviously lacked understanding. Son was looking good against Coleman in the first half, I have no idea why we stopped isolating that 1v1.

I'm still banging on the DM bus. We need someone that can break play but has quality on the ball. Massively miss Lo Celso. Ndombele came on and tried some high risk incisive forward passing but he wasn't exactly given targets to get the ball to. The formation and pattern of play was like a 5 year old just chucking 11 players on and hoping for the best. The desire was dreadful from the players and they looked fooked. Scarily this was the first game with another 7 in just over 2 weeks. But I think Mourinho has to wear this one. Just for that half time sub and the tactics that followed it.

What I would give to watch a Modric and Huddlestone midfield partnership that season under Harry (ably supported by Palacios who is better than Hojbjerg IMO).
More recently Dembele and Eriksen. Whatever you say about Eriksen, he had quality and its superior to anything we have now.
Losing players of that quality from the middle of the park is why we no longer look like a football team.

The difference in this game was the difference in quality in the midfield. Everton’s midfield is so much better than ours. It is also a well balanced midfield with clear responsibilities - they have an outright bully at DM with good technique, a quality box-to-box, and a high quality creative midfielder.

Everton benched their mid table midfielders and replaced them with absolute quality. Their midfield bench is mid table. They could absolutely finish top 4.

Everton owners have backed their man, our tight prick is simply stealing from us. And i bet they'll go and win a trophy before we do. 15 years of what? Glory?

exactly. For all our “greatness” , we have won fuck all, just like Everton. They bring in a top manager and back him with quality. We bring in a top manager and back him with bang average signings, then wonder why we struggle? The quicker we get rid of Levy and CO, the better and more successful this club will be.

exactly. For all our “greatness” , we have won fuck all, just like Everton. They bring in a top manager and back him with quality. We bring in a top manager and back him with bang average signings, then wonder why we struggle? The quicker we get rid of Levy and CO, the better and more successful this club will be.
Meanwhile the club and the fans who pay for the most expensive tickets in the league suffer.

Everton owners have backed their man, our tight prick is simply stealing from us. And i bet they'll go and win a trophy before we do. 15 years of what? Glory?

You're an idiot.

If you'd swap our last 15 year with Everton's; you're even more of an idiot.

(Spamming perfectly sensible posts with Xs won't change this....)

Park the "English Xavi" comment and put it in your rear mirror. We haven't heard it for years... Poch said it once affectionately as encouragement to and upcoming player. It's only comments like yours that keep it alive as a meme.

Rightfully or wrongly (and FWIW I think wrongly) he's been modeled by (2 managers now!) upon players that are not "aggressive"..... He struggles for the same reason Jourginio did. He's not Pirlo, nor is he Wanyama.

You says he's not an 8..... Cast your mind back to the player that debuted (energetic and vertical passing).... A #8 is exactly what he should have been all along!

Winks is an easy puzzle to solve in this squad; he should be back-up for GLC... It's players like PEH & Sissoko that are creating a curveball for Poch & Jose.

He is nowhere near good enough to play as an incisive 8. Even for England, he doesn’t even really play that role. He just recycles left and right. Barkley will try more on the ball. He has no shot on him. No outlet other than the occasional floaty diagonal ball. It’s as if he thinks the point of the game is to accumulate the highest number of passes rather than score goals.

That said, I do actually agree with you that he has been shoehorned into a position that doesn’t fit. But I don’t think that was on the managers. I think it’s because they realised he isn’t creative enough, but like him and wanted to try and forge a new position for him.

And also the fact that we’ve been desperate for a 6 for about three years now.

Message to Levy and the rest: you want to charge top prices, then you're gonna have to serve up better quality football than that dross. That was a bottom of the table performance on show in an architectural marvel. There's a proper big disconnect going on.
As I've said before, the stadium is a the jewel in the crown. Not the team. It's a large scale industrial leisure/ sports development and Spurs just happened to be in the best geographical position.
They're licking their collective lips at ENIC just waiting for full stadiums at extortionate prices, NFL revenue, boxing, rock concerts etc. They're certainly not going to throw away millions on their least prized posession.

Back
Top Bottom