Tottenham Vs Brighton - Tues 23rd April 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This club is going to kill me. That was so painful to watch.

Lots of inappropriate hugging when the goal went in, most of it from me.

Crowd kept going and the atmosphere was better than I expected.

COYS.

I’ll start by saying obviously a great goal, however...

If there were ever a game for a Eriksen this was it. Brighton pretty much played 2 banks of 5 on the edge and inside their box which allowed Eriksen a ridiculous amount of time and space 20-30 yards out. For our deeper lying creative player this should’ve been the perfect opportunity to put in great crosses but from a creativity perspective we weren’t going to score in a million years. 80% of the time he just lays it 2 yards sideways to Wanyama, 15% of the time he hits it straight to a Brighton player and 5% of the time there’s something a bit more useful.

People can throw all of the stats at the situation they like but for me if your creative midfielder who has been assigned the role of creating chances isn’t topping the stats then something is wrong. Stats can be presented in a way to prove almost anything; for example, there was some stat recently about Hugo being the top keeper in the league for one thing or another but if you’d had asked most Spurs fans after the Liverpool game if he was world class you know what answer you would’ve got. In the same way, one goal from Eriksen tonight doesn’t make him world class again. You’ve gotta laugh at how people think tonight proves everyone that’s ever doubted him wrong as well. The average football fan is fickle beyond belief. You’re allowed to have valid criticisms that still hold true even when a player scores one goal.

You’ve also gotta love football commentators. Alan Smith describing him as one of our most consistent performers! I’ve heard similar things on streams as well when they say it’s most unlike him not to beat the first man or put in a good delivery.

Nobody has ever doubted Eriksen’s ability and I think his superb ability is why some people get so frustrated with how poor he has been with the ball this season relative to the rest of his Tottenham career. I still think he’s massively overrated by our fan base though. I’ve lost count of the number of times this season that he’s allowed the opposition to have a dangerous attack because he has no conviction defensively. Man City last week? Burnley away? Just to name a couple. The Madrid fans don’t even like Bale and he’s a much better player than Eriksen. God help him if he goes there. I reckon he’s going to stay at Spurs though because it’s easy for him here. Everyone thinks he’s a genius and he doesn’t need to do too much to prove otherwise. Very similar to why Ozil stayed at Woolwich - no pressure from the fans. One bit of magic every 6 games and you’re world class.

What utter bollocks.

What most people acknowledge is that he's just a very, very good footballer who's regularly produced - and has this season despite playing a deeper role for much of it. He's got one less assist than Messi FFS, who is one of only three players (Hazard, Sancho, Messi) who have one more than him in the whole of Europe. He creates more chances than anyone at our club (double that of Alli, Son, Lamela, Kane, Sissoko, Moura) whilst still getting through more ball than all our midfielders/AM's and forwards bar Winks (by 1 pass per game).

We all know he's not perfect, he'snot a trojan defensively, he's not going to dribble past many, and there's always been wastage with his creativity - but take out Messi and tell me how many players in Europe right now who does what he does - plays the way he does - produces the goals/assists/key passes/passes he does that don't also have flaws or that would be an upgrade on him?

The bloke's contributed 62 goals and assists (league only) in the last three seasons for fuck sake. I'll take those stats over your bollocks opinion any day.

Stats are bollocks is always the funniest thing to read, because goals and assists don't decide games obviously

In games like yesterday, the one stat that truly mattered was delivered by the player that has been delivering the same stats for ages. The same stat that helps us reach our goals, obviously he's having a difficult time but true top players deliver even when they are tired and struggling a bit.

And that's what Eriksen is doing, some of you are not worthy and have forgotten (or never watched) the dross that we used to have.

I'd suggest meeting up with some top level scouts, you'd be surprised how different they look at football and the more i learn the more i understand now why it all comes down to stats.

the goal contributions (both in attacking and defensive areas) are what makes a player great for a team.

Next up : why Kane is slow and we should focus on that, or why Son needs to learn to pass

Celebrate the skillset, stop focussing on the negatives.

We fucking won a very important game in a very difficult period, by a fantastic strike and still the moaning continues.

I honestly think the game will be over by half time and a comfortable 4-0 win...

giphy.gif

That win is fueling the rage very nicely indeed.....

:dembelelol:

The enemy tossing and turn tonight, unable to sleep, raging at their own clubs bottling their run in's whilst we show them how it's done. Sleep well fellow yids.

Up The Spurs!

A Chelsea fan saying ‘lucky fucking Tottenham’ has absolutely made my day. A fan from a club that has scored nothing but deflected goals for about 29 years is saying we’re lucky, just means they are genuinely scared of us now

Two things from last night... and both 'atmosphere/crowd' related;

Firstly... the group of Laaaads (about 4/5 of them) a few rows in front of me in the South Stand... Block 250, row 15/16, (or thereabouts... don't wanna name-and-shame anyone who doesn't deserve it!) were giving it the FULL 1980s out of date; "Brighton Shitstabbers/Does your Boyfriend Know you're here...? / We can see you holding hands" repertoire...
it was as tiresome as it was dated, and after a good 20+ mins of it, I did shout "FOR FUCKS SAKE GIVE IT A REST" ...but luckily we were attacking the Brighton goal at the time, so those around them got on with actually supporting our team, rather than aiming homophobic abuse at the away fans... pathetic TWATS!

The other thing was; I know a Brighton supporting mate in the away end (who is straight FYI) who said that our; "clap-clap-clap clap clap clap; Yids" chant from the South stand was as spine tingling and impressive as it gets, and heard from the away end, (with, I assume, the slight time delay between clap and Yid ) far outweighed the Iceland fan's "Ourrrgh" 'thunder clap thing' they did at the World cup!

By all accounts, the Brighton fans were mightily impressed... just thought i'd share!

this has to be one of the most cursed seasons ever when you look back at it and yet, here we are. talk about sticking your chest out! proud to be a tottenham fan! COYS!

We've been stung by Spurs getting complacent before, though.

Particularly against West Ham.

original.gif
You're right,. There simply isn't such a thing as an easy Premiership game. And W.H. can be very dangerous. Especially Arnautovich or whoever it's spelled. Life in the best league in the world carries no certainties. We have to play every game as best we can until we're safe. Never let our guard down.

The club seem to be making it unnecessarily difficult to buy tickets. Only members can buy them yet membership's closed for season now? Why not let a game like Brighton go on general sale?

Back
Top Bottom