Tottenham Vs Newcastle - Sunday 27th Sept, 2pm KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why are we missing the point here ? The referee was asked to look at a potential handball incident which went to VAR. He looked at the monitor and saw the ball made contact with Dier's arm. He didn't 'just decide' to give the goal. He knew that under the current law (regardless of how fucking ludicrous it is) he had no option but to give a penalty. Doesn't matter which way the defender is facing or whether it was intentional or not, there was contact.
Completely stupid and killing the game but let's clearly identify where the blame lies. Not the referees who are simply applying the law but the fucking FA who created such rules.
Let's go for the organ grinder not the monkey or this will never get sorted.
Maybe... but hes at fault for giving a fucking non free kick

Well you know what... if that makes me a fucking coward who's TERRIFIED that the world as we know it is fucked, then so be it... football has very little to do with the bigger picture... but it's coming into stark reality now.

I know that football was ALWAYS a brief, albeit futile respite to life... always has been... it's what it's there for... to take away and distract from the horrors of ACTUAL life... it's a DISTRACTION... a sideshow... but now, it appears that has gone too... 'cos it's just as corrupt as the rest of life.,.. and now we have to deal with how the REAL world is spontaneously combusting, and taking something as insignificant as football with it...
yes, it's one poxy result in amongst a heap of others... but the bigger picture is far darker... football died long ago... I just wasn't prepared to accept it... but now I am.

But thanks for the wake up call. I lashed out. Sorry. Wong post.
I guess I AM just a cowardy cowarady custard.... thanks for pointing it out!

Fair one 1882. The long middle paragraph in your post speaks for me too and should be read out to every pencil necked, corrupt VAR-loving creep in the FA, Sky, FIFA and the rest

I was told that VAR checks everything. Happy to be corrected though.

Lacelles hand balled it in their box from an Ndombele shot. I wouldn't say it were a pen but I don't see the difference between that and Dier. The main difference I guess was that Lacelles was facing Ndombele.
I can't say why it wasn't given but the chance to appeal, have it reviewed etc etc must have been there for us too. I'm as gutted as everyone with the result but as supporters we need to stay focused and address the real problem which is the rule itself. It takes no factors into consideration but simply asks 'was there actually contact between ball and arm' if the answer is yes and the arm is deemed to be in an unnatural position (Yep I know, even when jumping for the ball or falling to the ground) then a penalty must be given.

We need to stop looking at the referees and start screaming at the FA to change the fucking rule otherwise it will go on all season. Blame the law, not the ones applying it, otherwise nothing will change.
:mourthumb:

Last edited:
I'm fucked if I am putting anymore money into the Premier League.

I will always be Spurs but my cash will be going into non-league from now on.

VAR and now this handball rule are the final nails in the coffin.

RIP.

i hope we don’t get back in this season. I really don’t want to pay for this shit.

By the way for whoever watched the immediate Sky reaction with Graham Souness , what on earth was he on about? I hope a weasel producer got in his ear and told him to play the other side because that was a pathetic assessment of the VAR / handball rule situation, basically said these new rules make football more exciting and more goals are scored hahaha

I was told that VAR checks everything. Happy to be corrected though.

Lacelles hand balled it in their box from an Ndombele shot. I wouldn't say it were a pen but I don't see the difference between that and Dier. The main difference I guess was that Lacelles was facing Ndombele.

There was an earlier one when he fell over making it seemed like the ball hit him in the gut, when it actually hit his arm. He probably knew it was hands but tried to play act his way out of it. Apparently it worked.

For the first time in a few years I didn’t bother watching the second half. Despite what people were saying that we played good football in first half bla bla, I didn’t see anything really exciting. We hit the post twice because of shots outside the box and what else? Can’t break down a defensive side with Winks and Hojbjerg who both are passing it sideways and backwards.

We made some small improvements under Mourinho but in 10 months it’s not enough. This manager’s apparently one of the best in the game and it doesn’t show.
Seriously fuck off. We bossed them from start to finish. Stop feeding the mill this bollocks. It’s disrespectful to the shift the lads have just put in.

Oh dear ...
Why does the final decision rest with bent refs. A roomful of officials examine the incident in slow motion over and over from all angles, can't make their mind up so it goes back to the bent ref, Something needs to be done, seriously. This incident ,playing for handball will become part of the training schedule for the unscrupulous drumbeat teams. I bet the panel and the ref are having a bloody good laugh

This links perfectly with one of the positives I was going to suggest from today's game:

- He's done it everywhere he's been successful but this kind of thing makes it even easier for José to develop a siege mentality in the squad. We need to have an 'us vs them' outlook now because, frankly, it seems to be true.

Another couple of bits of positivity:

- Yes, we should have taken our chances and killed the game but it's one of those things. In terms of performance I think we were really good and played the kind of football that wouldn't have a home crowd getting frustrated. 23 shots, 12 on target, and we limited Newcastle to only one shot on target (alas, we know which one that was). This is very very early in the season and if we want to progress then even a disappointing result like this with a good performance can still be a better sign than United getting spanked by Brighton but snatching a win.
- Davies was frustrating, but Reguilón is waiting in the wings.
- No Bale yet, and he will surely inject our attack with lethality.

Thank fuck it wasn't Kane that got red carded and although Sonny's injury is going to create a nightmare with the fixtures this week, at least there's an international break looming.

Back
Top Bottom