Tottenham Vs Red Star - 22nd Oct 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Prior to a ritual stoning? Let's hope not - we definitely don't want a beach ball incident tonight..
[Edit]: Apologies. Watching the Life Of Brian again and nothing makes much sense anymore.

As long as he doesn’t get dismissed by text again
Not our finest hour

Yes, league form has been bad since January, but what is the cause? Is Poch no longer up to it? Or are there factors that were largely out of his control? The squad is getting old together and some of our best players want to leave. He knew this last year, but is it his fault that the club didn't or couldn't get replacements in of sufficient quality? It is clearly hard to replace players as good as Dembele, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Wanyama, players who have all to some extent checked out.

Whoever is in charge we face a rebuild and we will have to be patient. Ndombele and Lo Celso are good signings and it will take time to add to that.

Poch isn't the problem, yes he's made mistakes, but he's still the best manager we've had in a generation. I just think talk of 'do or die' is silly. We need patience not panic.

Poch IS the main problem
He WAS our best manager for a generation

Not any longer

Hear, hear. Can we unanimously agree that the words "CL final" can only be used in the context of "good cup run" please? I'm utterly f*cking sick of hearing about us losing a cup final as some justification for some other unrelated argument. Not slagging the achievement to get there but is that going to be Poch's epitaph with us?
"Nearly won something" He's been better than that.
I'm confused... HAD we won the CL ... would that have ALSO papered over the cracks of last season... seeing as it was, after all, 'only a Cup Run'?

Yes, Poch may have left, as he probably thought that was as good as it was gonna get... But ironically, many want him gone now anyway... with, or without the Trophy...

So are we saying the result of that one-off game makes all the difference now? 'Cos we'd still have had an awful run in the league at the end of last season.

Gazza
Foyth Toby Sanchez Davies
Winks Ndombele
Lamela Dele Son
Kane
That's the team I'd like to see. It's imperative that Rose and Jan are dropped - Toby has been just about okay at times. Foyth to come back in.

I actually thought Dele had a decent game against Watford, his best in a while so I'd keep him in here to try to pick up some form. Lamela and Son provided good energy when they came on so I'd start them from the off and go all out.

Centre mid is harder to call but in Winks and Ndombele I just want to have two technically decent players in there considering Red Star will probably park the bus and we'll have all of the ball. I don't think Dier or Sissoko are critical for this one.

Would love Lo Celso to get a decent run out as well, I have high hopes for him.

I can still see Poch shoehorning Sissoko and Eriksen in however :(

Gazza
Foyth Toby Sanchez Davies
Winks Ndombele
Lamela Dele Son
Kane
That's the team I'd like to see. It's imperative that Rose and Jan are dropped - Toby has been just about okay at times. Foyth to come back in.

I actually thought Dele had a decent game against Watford, his best in a while so I'd keep him in here to try to pick up some form. Lamela and Son provided good energy when they came on so I'd start them from the off and go all out.

Centre mid is harder to call but in Winks and Ndombele I just want to have two technically decent players in there considering Red Star will probably park the bus and we'll have all of the ball. I don't think Dier or Sissoko are critical for this one.

Would love Lo Celso to get a decent run out as well, I have high hopes for him.

I can still see Poch shoehorning Sissoko and Eriksen in however :(
agree with most of this, except I think Jan has been better than Toby. Not much in it mind.
I think Jan would be a better partner for Sanchez too.

Not sure if anyone interested, Spurs u19's v Red Star u19's in UEFA Youth League currently on BT Sports 2 - its about 50 mins in and Spurs lead 4-2.

Videos of 3 of the 4 goals on youth thread

Last edited:
Yes, league form has been bad since January, but what is the cause? Is Poch no longer up to it? Or are there factors that were largely out of his control? The squad is getting old together and some of our best players want to leave. He knew this last year, but is it his fault that the club didn't or couldn't get replacements in of sufficient quality? It is clearly hard to replace players as good as Dembele, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Wanyama, players who have all to some extent checked out.

Whoever is in charge we face a rebuild and we will have to be patient. Ndombele and Lo Celso are good signings and it will take time to add to that.

Poch isn't the problem, yes he's made mistakes, but he's still the best manager we've had in a generation. I just think talk of 'do or die' is silly. We need patience not panic.

Of course "do or die" is silly. He should have been sacked before last visitor left stadium after our 2:7 defeat. Which was biggest we've got throughout our history, not even generation.

After that we got humiliated by Brighton, and we got lucky to draw with last team in EPL at home.

Enough is enough.

You point out rightly that rebuild is needed, but why trust it to someone who was totally okay with us chasing likes of Coutinho, Dybala etc after getting in Ndombele and Lo Celso while absolutely ignoring the fact that we have 0 capable DMs in the squad?!? Or why trust it to someone who have not been able to pick out good enough player that would get to starting XI since Sonny and Toby despite breaking our transfer record?!

I'm confused... HAD we won the CL ... would that have ALSO papered over the cracks of last season... seeing as it was, after all, 'only a Cup Run'?

Yes, Poch may have left, as he probably thought that was as good as it was gonna get... But ironically, many want him gone now anyway... with, or without the Trophy...

So are we saying the result of that one-off game makes all the difference now? 'Cos we'd still have had an awful run in the league at the end of last season.

true this....

we could have won CL Final, and been hailed our best ever season despite losing 19 matches and only playing well in 3 games since February!

funny old game!

:pochsulk:

Quick pint in Spoons Stevenage after work then I'll be on my way.

Hoping against hope I witness better than I did on Saturday. 🤞🏼

Shame Lee went back on his offer of a ticket as I would have joined you

Waiting on a stream from Borodin55

Back
Top Bottom