Trophy > Top Four

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

josh_spurs

An OG from 2012
Seeing them cunts lift that trophy made me want to stab a cat, and It made me realise how magical it would be to see Dawson lifting that up, all the history in that one moment that will live forever. Remember that time we got 4th? Fuck off.

Ps) seeing that youngish Benfica fan crying made me realise what cunts Chelsea are, if Chelsea lost their fans wouldn't care, they'd just use it as a chance to criticise Benitez.

Don't even get me started on the fact they even are in this tournament.

One day, in my life time that'll be us up there..one day

How old are you?

Surely even you were around in 2008?

But there's a sight difference in winning the Europa League and the Carling Cup. Not that I'm saying it wasn't a good cup win etc it was fucking brilliant, I even got brought back a match programme from it!

But there's a certain magic about Europe..the last minute goals in Milan, Lyon are a whole different feeling to scoring one in Scunthorpe

It comes down to trophies and titles but since we can only win 4 per season (exclude 1 because we don't have the squad to win the league) we have to find success and glory in other areas, like getting into the champions league and reaching the last 8 of the europa league. The game is about glory and every 3 points we win is glory but it would be fucking glorious if we won the FA cup or the capital one cup wouldn't it?

But there's a sight difference in winning the Europa League and the Carling Cup. Not that I'm saying it wasn't a good cup win etc it was fucking brilliant, I even got brought back a match programme from it!

But there's a certain magic about Europe..the last minute goals in Milan, Lyon are a whole different feeling to scoring one in Scunthorpe

I lucky enough to remember a Uefa and an FA cup.

99 and 2008 was up there mate, trust me.

I lucky enough to remember a Uefa and an FA cup.

99 and 2008 was up there mate, trust me.

I was 11 in 08, so my emotions and typical teenage hormones weren't their to get me worked up over stuff like this, so I can only really say I went nuts when we won, without considering historic-ness of the situation, which makes me want to get a European win even more

But don't get me wrong, I'd happily win the CoC every year..as far as FA cup goes last season or Pompey (2010?) was the only time I can remember us doing 'well' in it

I think Wigan going down yet still winning the cup shows how Trophies are better than league placing. They can come back up next year. But the memory of lifting the cup will live on forever.

Also

Fuck Chelsea

Cup win over a top 4 finish any day, winning a cup puts you into Europe and shows that you are winning trophies. Meaning that you can still attract top players...Unless you do a Wigan

Chelsea should be forced, out of respect for the competition to defend their Europa League title meaning we get CL

I think Wigan going down yet still winning the cup shows how Trophies are better than league placing. They can come back up next year. But the memory of lifting the cup will live on forever.

Also

Fuck Chelsea

Prime example, as much as it hurt to go down, they wouldn't change a thing..remember that time we stayed up wont be as fondly remember as that time the upset the odds and won the cup.

I agree with the sentiment which is why I'm ok with us spending valuable time on the EL this season. If there was no drop down from CL we'd have stood a much better chance but that issue is with UEFA not AVB/the club for wanting to win it. Did our best, got pretty far. Better next year.

Cup win over a top 4 finish any day, winning a cup puts you into Europe and shows that you are winning trophies. Meaning that you can still attract top players...Unless you do a Wigan

Chelsea should be forced, out of respect for the competition to defend their Europa League title meaning we get CL

Winning the Carling Cup is not going to help us attract top players like finishing in the Top 4 will.

Winning the Carling Cup is not going to help us attract top players like finishing in the Top 4 will.

it will in the sense that it's a ticket into a Europe and playing in Europe helps you attract the likes of Modric, Van Der Vaart, Bale, Berbatov etc, etc. I am basing my opinions though on finishing in a decent league position

I didn't watch because I knew that, if I did, I would break the TV and everything around me of value. When the rage passed, I would regret those actions.

As it was, reading the Guardian match report was bad enough.

I felt the intent to win a trophy was there this year under AVB. Pretty sure he played near full strength sides in all comps this year. Unlike Redknapp, who played 2nd teams in the Europa League. We came close to an FA Cup final last year, but we seemed more pre-occupied on our league placings.

This isn't how it should be, mate, but the rewards of high league placings sadly overlooks the glory of lifting a trophy at Wembley.

Back
Top Bottom