Trophy > Top Four

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The 1999 LC win felt very special to me. I had a ST for most of the 90s, and it was pretty fucking shit. It was nice to see those players actually win something. And the goal - late on when down to 10 men - felt amazing. The old Wembley was a dog of a stadium though. Had posts all over the place. But those celebrations were good, and it really meant something to finally have some silverware.

Winning a European trophy in Amsterdam would be far better than winning the FA Cup or League Cup at Wembley nowadays IMO - you would remember that forever. I'm a football supporter and I want to see us win trophies, if the straight choice of a guaranteed trophy is there over the potential to invest more money into the club is there I'll take the trophy everytime.

The day after a fourth place finish I would be happy and have a smile on my face. The day after winning the Europa League in Amsterdam I would have a pounding headache and a sore nob - what's better? :D

If we had won the Carling cup every year since 2008,and never finished 4th Id be pretty happy. Thats supposed to be the lowest trophy there is, and I couldnt care less.

Beats celebrating like maniacs because we finished above Woolwich.

I will still celebrate like a maniac on Sunday if we do it.

On a side note, isn't the UEFA cup a really good looking trophy. Would have loved to see us lifting that last night. The trophy I really want to see us lift is the FA cup though. That would be pretty special.

A point that I always make when these threads come up is that it's all about progression. The more times you are in the CL the better the player you can sign. If you are regularly finishing in the top four then you are, by default, better than a mid-table side that might win a cup every now and again. The statistics speak for themselves and the teams with the highest trophy hauls over the Premier League years are those who have regularly competed in the top four.

What I think a lot of people miss is that they seem to think that this is about one or the other. That you are somehow trading up a trophy to finish in fourth or above. I don't see it that way. The two are not mutually exclusive. While we have not won a trophy yet, the better we have become over the past 5-6 seasons has also seen us have longer European campaigns and, on average, better domestic cup runs (this year aside). The proof is in the pudding.

Personally, I don't want a one off success like Wigan. I want to win multiple trophies and that can only come with continued strengthening and progression. The top four is the penultimate rung on the ladder, before being title challengers, to achieve that. If we continue to progress then the trophies will come, and I think they can come sooner than many people think if Levy has any interest at all in backing AVB in terms of transfer targets.

I would trade up both of our recent league cup wins if it means our progression continues and we get a few FA Cups, the league title and a European honour or two as a result of that progression. Our sides over the past couple of years us arguably the best couple of sides I've seen us play in my time as a fan. I've waited 17 years, I'm happy to wait a couple more seasons and solidify our claim to top four it it increases our chances of multiple trophies.

Oh look, a debate we haven't had before.......

Seriously though Wembley in '99 and '08 were fantastic moments (except for the generic "celebration" songs the new Wembley vomitted out in '08 - we want Chas & Dave) and we didn't celebrate them any less because they were "just" the League Cup...likewise 2002 & 2009 didn't hurt any less.

Longing for an FA Cup though :(

On a side note, isn't the UEFA cup a really good looking trophy. Would have loved to see us lifting that last night. The trophy I really want to see us lift is the FA cup though. That would be pretty special.

It is only trumped by the old League Championship trophy.

The Premier League trophy is fucking shit.

Back
Top Bottom