Troy Parrott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

IMO Parrott is an outstanding prospect who we'll almost see next preseason, if not before, but the statement 'The Irish striker is only 16 and already has a first-team squad number at Spurs' is just misleading crap written by someone who clearly hasn't much knowledge of Spurs youth players.

The 'first team' squad numbers are issued to all youngsters who have played in official team matches including matches in Checkatrade Trophy and a selection of his fellow Academy Year 1 player names and squad numbers :

Malachi Walcott (CB), dob 2002 - 70
Luis Binks (CB) dob 2001 - 73
Harvey White (CM/LB) dob 2001 - 72
J'Neill Lloyd-Bennett (wing/striker) dob 2001 - 68

So Troy is not exceptional for his age in being given squad number 71 at his age.

So the tweeter is right to tweet he's an exceptional talent - but not for the reasons he's selected.

Probably tweeted when he was sick as a..........

Played 61 mins before being subbed - one of ,,6 players subbed on the night. McCarthy had s young inexperienced side out as an experiment.

Parrott got an assist for the 2nd of the 3 goals that Ireland scored tonight.

Edit :

Parrott had 2 shots on target (35 and 58 mins ) which had to be blocked or saved plus another players shot saved which would have been assisted by Parrott.

Last edited:
Starting to think would have been good for him to stay and play in the Europa - say what you want about that comp but it is great for building young talent. Will be good for him to get some experience playing regularly though hopefully he can kick on

Should get more playing time at Millwall than at Spurs playing some EL, so long term development will be better.

"Getting this loan is hopefully going to help me improve and push on. I was speaking to staff and players finding out what I needed to do to be better. Obviously Mourinho has worked with some of the best strikers there’s ever been. To get advice off him was great. It was helpful advice.”

“He’s such an experienced manager and he’s done nearly everything in the game, so if he feels like that’s right then there must be some truth in it and I had to take it on the chin. I knew I just had to keep my head down ."

Starts up top tonight for us which I'm happy about; Will only be able to watch first 30 minutes before going to work myself.

Our line up is pretty rubbish tonight due to injuries though; very defensive minded so I doubt Parrott will get any chances; will be more interesting to see his hold up play.

Rumours that he will be recalled?

We've looked much better in last two games when he hasn't played so he won't be missed, while our dip in form and problems in front of goal amplified when he was given a run in the side.

I think this loan happened 2 years too early, I think he will end up going out on loan to a League One side. A lot of hype given that Jose Mourinho had to defend himself in the media last season as to why Parrott wasn't given a run out in the first team when Kane was injured.

Wonderkids should be having stand out moments in games regardless of the team the play for in the Championship (see Harvey Elliot at Blackburn on loan from Liverpool currently, Harry Kane when with us)

Good luck for the rest of the season, hope you beat Chelsea to the title.

I get a feeling that it's not his talent that is in question, but his attitude?

It's a good question; he's only played 600 minutes for us across 11 matches which is a small sample size by anyone's standards. He has a huge reputation and hype though which may be difficult for him to live up to. Every away match the commentators (in Championship away matches are commentated by the home team so a new set of commentators every away match) have said Parrott's name, followed by he's a huge talent or something along those lines.

Posting photos alongside the son of an infamous Irish criminal family doesn't send out positive signals, or doesn't project the image of someone who is focused and determined to achieve.

His biggest problem at the moment, which he needs to figure out, is how to have an impact on the match from the left side of a front 3. The only side in the top leagues I can think off that play with 2 up front on a regular basis is Burnley. I feel that Parrott would find things easier in a classic 4-4-2, where we would only have to focus on trying to get in the box.

Parrott isn't experienced enough, physical enough (yet), or quick enough (to run in behind) to play upfront by himself in the Championship. Championship defenders are a lot tougher than youth football defenders. He's shown good close control at times, and able to pass the ball off, but other times will lose it.

Playing out on the left doesn't seem to be working for him either, as he's defensively suspect in closing down the lanes properly, and the other defensive side of the game. He's also not a left winger in the attacking sense, I don't think he thought he would be playing out on the left wing when he arrived, but the 3 games he has started up front we've been smashed/looked back.

His age has been cited, and to give him more time, but at this level, every youngster who had star potential tore the Championship up, Ashley Young, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Aaron Lennon, Harvey Elliot, Tammy Abraham, Fabian Delph, Kane, Townsend, Carroll, Sessegnon etc etc, All of them 17/18 years old in the Championship took the piss at times, and many matches were the stand out players. I still think he has the chances to go onto have a decent career and possible become a good Premiership striker, but he hasn't shown any star potential. The problem is for Tottenham and Parrott, is that it's no longer 96/97 and a good Premiership striker is lower than what Tottenham are aiming for.

I don't think he is 100% fit either but then that is true for nearly everyone in our side this season, it's been relentless with games every 3/4 days.
He is consistently being selected so I doubt that.
I haven't watched a single minute of him playing for Millwall but I may watch their cup game if he is selected.

He should be selected, I think a lot of rotation will happen for both sides this weekend and be more of an exhibition match rather than full on competitive. Our performance against Huddersfield were two tired teams.

Troy was an unused sub in Milwall's 1-0 away win tonight. Even though both front men in a 4-4-2 were given a rest with 15 to go..

I think that was more to do with the game situation than Parrott. We were firmly sitting back Jose Mourinho style at that point and bought on players with experience on holding on for a much needed 3 points.

Last edited:
MK Dons love him. Will be interesting to see what happens with him next season. He needs to be working his way up the tiers through loans. He’s done better this season but should be expected to do so at League 1 level. He should want to be starting every week in the Championship next season.

Back
Top Bottom